Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Oh yeah, am I reading that you believe The Roman Catholic Church is the only church that is valid? As one who was raised in The Roman Church I can point out what I believe are the many errors of their way. If the message of God is so great for us, why are adherents of The Roman Church told not to read the Bible and interpret it for themselves and to only rely on the Pope's interpretation? Afraid they will clue in to some things that aren't just true? If The Roman Church is the perfect church, why do they hide the rapists and child molesters instead of bringing them to justice on earth before they are judged before God?
I believe the Roman Catholic Church is a valid church. It is the church that I have come to believe after years of thought and analysis and prayer and faith is correct. I don't pretend to believe that everything about the church is good or everything about it is perfect--hundreds of doctrines have been changed over the years, almost always after many, many years of thought and analysis and prayer and faith that they should be changed.

I don't deign to opine which churches should be considered to be valid and which aren't. I think that pretty much all people who follow a religion genuinely believe that they are following a valid religion, and pretty much all people who don't follow one genuinely believe that they are valid in not following one. The issue, in my opinon, is not mine to decide, but God's, or whoever has that right if I should be incorrect in placing my faith in Christ.

The Catholic Church does not teach that you must be a Catholic or even a Christian to be granted eternal life, nor that simply professing to be a Catholic or a Christian will ensure you eternal life--a doctrine with after many years of prayer and thought and faith was changed. The Church does believe that it follows a valid moral code which has been established by God as the best way to live one's life. Whether or not this code actually is the best way is not for us to know--but it is what we have come to believe after prayer and thought and faith is the way we ought to do it. I believe, and the church genuinely believes, that anyone who leads a lifestyle that earnestly intends to do good and that does not harden their heart against the Lord will be guaranteed eternal life. All of us, gay, straight, and priest alike, are sinners, and all fall short of the glory of God, but it's our intentions to sin no more and to avoid what leads us to sin that make the difference between our salvation and our damnation.

Again, this is what my church teaches and what I believe. What you choose to believe is none of my business; it's your own and God's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
If you had of polled folks 50 years ago, they would have said that black people should not be treated as equal to whites. The issue of equality and fundamental human rights should NEVER be left up to majority rule. You mention that legislators have passed the laws, not the people themselves. Aren't the legislators elected by the people and there to represent the people or is that only the case when they push forth a party line that suits those who wish to make the U.S. a theocracy? Just asking.
The real question is whether marriage and sex are fundamental human rights. I believe reproduction is a human right, and I don't believe that gays should be restricted from adopting or raising children in the least nor from birthing them themselves. I don't believe that sex in and among itself is a human right. Sex when not being used for the purpose of creating children exists for lustful pleasure, plain and simple. You can argue about the emotional bond it may or may not produce between people, but that bond does not require sexual consumation to be valid. I think this applies to gays, straight people, transgendered people, beastality advocates, pedophiles, and all sorts of people alike. I don't believe that you have a fundamental human right to have sex, because I'm sure a lot of lonely virgins out there are going to start demanding that the government arrange some sort of affirmative action for them to get their fundamental human rights.

I do think that majority opinion MUST be listened to, particularly when the issue at hand is changing long-held values and statues and laws. I don't think anti-gay marriage amendments to constitutions should be allowed to pass with a mere 52% of those both eligible to and bothering to vote voting in favor. I don't think pro-gay marriage acts should be allowed to pass without a substantial majority either. Democracy is based on the consent of the people, and simply because one group thinks that something is a human right does not mean that the majority of people think that it is or that the law should be changed because of this. NAMBLA believes that grown men touching little boys should be a fundamental human right. Is this not a fundamental human right simply because YOU believe it to be so? I believe this isn't a fundamental human right because the majority of people believe it not to be so, regardless of what the NAMBLA folks believe.

What makes something a fundamental human right is your own opinion, but what makes it a legally enforcable human right is that the majority of opinions believe it to be a human right and support enshriing it as such.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Too bad, sex is a human right; for example, the Supreme Court has ruled that anti-sodomy laws are unconstitutional.

Catholics can order each other around all they like within their church, but I don't like it when those beliefs extend to trying to order around everyone else in society.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Too bad, sex is a human right; for example, the Supreme Court has ruled that anti-sodomy laws are unconstitutional.

Catholics can order each other around all they like within their church, but I don't like it when those beliefs extend to trying to order around everyone else in society.
The law and human rights are entirely different.

For many years, it was illegal in Texas for schools to be integrated. For many years it was legal to keep people as chattel.

Neither of those things was consistent with what we now consider to be fundamental human rights.

The Supreme Court ruled that anti-sodomy laws are illegal, but that was because there was no constitutional justification for sodomy to be illegal, not because sodomy or any other form of sex was a basic inherent human right that ought not to be abolished.

The Supreme Court has also ruled that abortion is legal; many people (myself not included) feel that this is an egregious violation of human rights.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
what does any of this have to do with gay bars in Trophy Club--
zero
which just happens to be the number of gay bars IN Trophy Club--
of course there are NO bars of any kind in Trophy Club

some people apparently can't take a joke
so guess the troll hit a home run...

Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 PM

I honestly thought that the first poster was legitimately interested, because a true troll wouldn't have posted something about Trophy Club in the Dallas forum because it's not the right forum.

It has a lot to do with the mentality of Trophy Club and why a gay bar is not in demand in the slightest there.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
It's against your religion to aid and assist people in their sinful behaviors and lifestyle. Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
I honestly thought that the first poster was legitimately interested, because a true troll wouldn't have posted something about Trophy Club in the Dallas forum because it's not the right forum.

It has a lot to do with the mentality of Trophy Club and why a gay bar is not in demand in the slightest there.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:43 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,633 times
Quote:

Exactly. If there was one there, nobody from Trophy Club would even be there!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's against your religion to aid and assist people in their sinful behaviors and lifestyle. Duh.
Which is why I encouraged him not to attempt to open a gay bar in Trophy Club.

Gay bars in themselves aren't inherently sinful IMHO...what goes on after visiting a gay bar is another question.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Some people drink, do drugs, and engage in promiscuity at bars straight or gay.

Quote:

Gay bars in themselves aren't inherently sinful IMHO...what goes on after visiting a gay bar is another question.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:

Sharing a cab is a sin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas