Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 AM

445 posts, read 1,809,752 times

Advertisements

From your experience which is better and why? Or is there a preferance?

We are in the Dallas area (finally) after a llloooonnggg drive from Ca, and have seen both, just wondering which people like and why??

They both seem big and nice, any comments or experiences, are greatly appreciated, as usual!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,661 times
First of all no one calls it Lake Dallas. Its known as Lake Lewisville. I have been out on both on boats many times. Both have the same types of marinas and restaurants. Both are large lakes. They have similar water quality. The only difference is that lewisville has a much larger party scene. Lots of people go there to party cove to get drunk and party on the weekends. Hubbard is a more laid back lake with less drunks and less naked women.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:21 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
Welcome to Texas,

Lake Dallas is a very small city by Lake Lewisville with a population of around 6500.

Lake Ray Hubbard is an actual lake.

They are indeed both big and nice. Lake Ray Hubbard has a good constant water level, is great for boating, fishing or anything else. You can access it from Rockwall, Heath, Rowlett & Garland.

Naima

Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
First of all no one calls it Lake Dallas. Its known as Lake Lewisville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Lake Dallas is a very small city by Lake Lewisville with a population of around 6500.

Lake Ray Hubbard is an actual lake.
FYI, us natives still call it by it's original name, Lake Dallas. While Lake Dallas is also a small town up by what is now called Lake Lewisville you will still find plenty of people referring to the actual body of water as Lake Dallas.

As for the two lakes in question:
Lake Ray Hubbard hands down. Too many drownings and crashes on Lake Dallas. It is way too crowded even on weeknights. It is just not the right scene for me now anymore and I would not let my kids on that lake at all. Lake Ray Hubbard is good and as mentioned it is more of a "constant level lake". This is because of the power plany owned by the City of Dallas that is on it. There is a pipeline from Lake Tawakoni and Lake Fork that will make sure that this lake level stays constant. It has gone down like it did a few years ago during the drought but not as bad as other lakes. They would drain Tawakoni and Fork bone dry to keep Hubbard with water.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:54 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
Lake Lewisville is the only lake I know of, that has had 3 names: Lake Dallas, Garza Little Elm, and Lake Lewisville. Lots of people I know who have been around the area for a long time still call it "Lake Dallas".

Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Another plus for Lake Ray Hubbard is if you want lakefront and a boathouse you can. You can not even have your own pier or ramp on Lake Dallas much less a boathouse. The Harbor with live music on Thursdays and fireworks on the 4th is another positive.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
FYI, us natives still call it by it's original name, Lake Dallas. While Lake Dallas is also a small town up by what is now called Lake Lewisville you will still find plenty of people referring to the actual body of water as Lake Dallas. >>

Another mystery solved on City-Data! I always remember it being referred to as Lake Dallas when I was growing up. I'd begun to think my memory was faulty!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks all!!!

We are still looking around, and are in Keller now...

will check back in.

We are not into a "party" scene...we don't drink that much, even though i say we should with this many little kids, haha

Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,295 times
Glad to see you guys made it to Dallas in one piece. I was just thinking about y'all this morning. Take lots of pics!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM

we did and my head is spinning, i don't know if it is because we are busy looking so much, or these kids are bouncing off the walls in the box!! (RV)

Oh well, we are heading out again, after a quick bite...i think we are heading back to Rockwall and check it out there again..the lake, the house and stuff.

We gotta get the mountain of BUGS off our winshield to snap some pics, we got some of some houses, in Keller, but that is about it so far.....

What is up with Grand? i will search later when we stop for the night...They did build a pretty house though!

Thanks all......AGAIN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas