Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 11,398 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am new to forum site so bear with me! I am a 33 year old male physician, single, never married. I have lived in Cincinnati my whole life. It's a nice city but it's mainly for families. I have never been out of the midwest and really want to try something different. I recently visited my best friend who lives in Allen, TX. He showed me around different areas and I really liked it. And now I am contemplating moving to the area in the next 9-12 months.

First, can the Dallas area be a good place for someone in my age range, career and being single? Would Allen be a good place to live?

I honestly don't know where a good place to start would be in the Dallas area. I would like to live in a nice area with people close to my age, and preferably with some singles.

Thanks again for all of your help. This will be the most drastic change I have ever made so I'm a little nervous about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 AM

254 posts, read 983,328 times
Just moved from cincinnati as well, I have been here two months. I too lived in cincy my whole life. Send a direct message to me for any questions you may have, as we dont wont to bore this forum with cincy to dallas details.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Allen is pretty far outside Dallas - the major hospitals are inside Dallas. Plus Allen is mainly families. Lots of areas for singles your age. If you were to work at Baylor, Presbyterian, Medical City or even over at Parkland/Southwestern/Children's/Zale Lipshy you should concentrate on the areas along Central Expressway near Mockingbird Lane and just south of there down to Knox-Henderson, Lemmon and over to the Turtle Creek/Uptown areas.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 AM

62 posts, read 297,098 times
Hi there, I'm from Chicago, have lots of fam in Cincy and I used to live in Allen, which, IMO, is definitely not what I'd consider an ideal place for someone in your demographic, assuming you like the stuff I did at your age, energy of city, nightlife, clubs, etc.

If you're looking to buy, you might try searching listings in 75219, which covers an area just north of downtown, close to Uptown. Also, Addison is "young" and much closer to Dallas than Allen with easy access to Dallas North Tollway, 635 and 75.

If you're looking to rent, those areas are good for that too, or like Lakewooder said anything along 75 near Mockingbird or Northwest Highway. There's a brand new development that opened close to NorthPark Center (the nice mall intown). Check out the link here

Mockingbird Station is another similar mixed-use development (meaning shopping and living). Link for that one here

Close to these places is a main strip of restaurants and nightlife known as Upper and Lower Greenville.

All in all, I think you'd love Dallas and having your BFF here will, hopefully, make your transition even better. Best wishes and blessings with whatever you decide.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:31 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
You'll probably get bored in Allen. Not really a scene for single people. Although they are really trying to build new condos, townhomes and patio homes to attract single people or empty nesters too.

There are MANY major hospitals surrounding Allen. You don't have to go downtown for work.

You need to visit again and explore the downtown areas suggested above and decide if it's more your scene, expand to Addison too where many professionals live and play.

Naima

Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 AM

133 posts, read 691,430 times
CIncy is my home town...grew up there, but have lived in DFW for 20 years. If you give me an idea of where you lived in Cincy, or neighborhoods you liked, I might be able to direct you towards similar areas here.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 30,088 times
I just did the reverse....moved from Dallas to Cincinnati. Best thing that I ever did....We love Cincinnati. I am in a little different situation though because I am married with children.

If I were you, I would find a job in the Dallas burbs, and settle in. You can make the voyage into the City on the weekends for entertainment if needed. But, Frisco, Plano, Alan ect ect ect would be where I would land. Just my opinion....

Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
Single & doctor...stick with the downtown area's or Addison. You have good cliental and the single atmosphere you want. I wounldn't purchase right away, lease or rent for a year. Get to know the area....see if it fits you.

Allen is a nice area, more for family life....maybe in a few years you'll met that person and move to Allen. Until them stick with what they majority is saying.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,713 times
You did not say what kind of doc you are and what kind of work you want to do. You have all kinds of opportunities in the burbs. For example, Plano has become a major medical center with two Baylor hospitals (regular and heart), Presby and Medical City hospitals with Dallas Childrens having built its first outlying hospital outside Dallas in Plano. Then there are all the medical clinics with different specialities in Plano with the largest being the Dallas Diagnostic Association next to Baylor Regional Medical Center of Plano of 80 or so docs and just doubling its office space. Where you live and play can be quite different from where you work, and that depends upon what kind of doc you are and what lifestyle you want. Come and enjoy! Collin County sits just north of Dallas County and it is one of the top five fastest growing counties in the country with about 775,000 people. Look into the demographics and see what it is you want.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 PM

63 posts, read 185,625 times
Highland Park, Addison or the area between Greenville and North West HW seems fit with your demographic. These cities are close to access to entertainment places such Gentleman clubs (along Greenville Road) or Baby Doll club on North West HW and Web Chapel.
If you are the person who only like a healthy entertainment and living with morality, dignity... then Allen, Richardson or Plano are the best choices. I like Allen the best since Allen School system is really good. Allen High School is one of national top 10. I've also visit this school to see the reality.
Anyway, welcome to Dallas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas