Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 AM

12 posts, read 49,003 times

Advertisements

Thanks I enjoy serving our Veterans!
I decided to choose Desoto at this time. The comments about Desoto on this website have mostly been positive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
Good Luck and thank you for helping Veterans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:44 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,108,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTAJ View Post
Thanks I enjoy serving our Veterans!
I decided to choose Desoto at this time. The comments about Desoto on this website have mostly been positive!
DeSoto is a very nice community. I have lived in the DeSoto/Lancaster area for most of my life and haven't regretted it.

All the best!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 AM

6,828 posts, read 14,047,739 times
Nothing wrong with Desoto and welcome to the area.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,337 times
I will be moving to the area March 2011. I plan on returning to Dallas in Feburary to look for a place to live. I am looking for an apartment with the max rent of 1000 a month. In the area Desoto how far is it from the VA Hospital and is there a transit system. I have a car but just want to be sure.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM

There are nice apartments in Cedar Hill and Grand Prairie (south of I-20) that are fairly close to the VA (20 minutes). You would have no problem finding a place for 1k or less. The VA is on the transit line but you would have live north of Downtown in order to catch the train to work. There are no direct connections from the southern burbs (Cedar Hill, Grand Prairie).

Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,108,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady RN View Post
I will be moving to the area March 2011. I plan on returning to Dallas in Feburary to look for a place to live. I am looking for an apartment with the max rent of 1000 a month. In the area Desoto how far is it from the VA Hospital and is there a transit system. I have a car but just want to be sure.
Hi.

Driving from DeSoto to the VA Hospital will take about 20 minutes. It is one of the closest suburban communities to that area. Regarding apartments in the city, most fall within your stated price range.

In recent years, several new apartment complexes have been built in the city. Two of them, DeSoto Ranch and Huntington Ridge, are located on South Polk Street. A third, DeSoto Town Center Apartments, is located at the intersection of Hampton Road and Pleasant Run Road.

Here are a few other complexes in DeSoto that you might consider:
Creekwood - 212 West Wintergreen Rd.
Thorn Manor - 300 West Wintergreen Rd.
Mount Vernon - 1020 Scotland Dr.
Pecan Crossing (http://www.ginkgoapartments.com/apartment/pecan-crossing-apartment-homes-desoto-tx-4mm2u7441607 - broken link) - 1225 East Pleasant Run Rd. (Before moving to Lancaster in 2006, I lived in the Pecan Crossing Apartments for years without any safety or tenant issues.)
The Colonies - 2525 West Bolton Boone Dr.

As Grainraiser mentioned in the previous post, DeSoto and the other southern suburbs are not served by DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). Glenn Heights (a small city located immediately south of DeSoto), which has a park and ride facility, is the only exception. The city has no apartment complexes, however.

I hope this is helpful and welcome to the area.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:59 PM

Forgot to ask her does she have any kids. Schools would need to be considered. She should also consider apartments around the downtown area. She would have a reverse commute going to the VA.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:21 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,396,382 times
If you're single and don't need to take a ton of call, the Uptown/ West Village or even State Thomas area is home to a large amount of med/dental students, residents and a few of the younger docs. Nice and lively area. Living near the medical center is great if you're getting up way early or on beeper call, however, you'll likely need to drive a distance for most things. The area is a bit dodgy also (read Harry Hines). Also, do you really want to be reminded of the hospital even when you're home?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
Like most cities, all have safe and, not so safe places to live. There is no area around the VA Hosptial that i would consider safe/quiet within 5 miles of the Va Hospital. As a previous person said, Lancaster, Desoto, Cedar Hill areas are nice places to live, and only about 10 to 15 miles south. Also, if you would rather live farther north of Dallas, there are plenty of nice areas to live there. Dallas have public transportation, buses/and train rails that go to almost ever city and near Dallas. Dallas Dart Train stops directly infront of the Va Hospital. Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 824 times
just got a job offer at the va hospital Dallas not sure where to stay, married family of 4 looking for a good community and not a big commute. would like to be close to main attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas