Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2006, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,259 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone is commuting a similar route, or even from Mckinney into center city dallas.

People have advised me that commuting from Mckinney to Farmers Branch could be a royal PITA. Im sure it is a PITA, but it seems if you want to live anywhere except 2 minutes from where you work, a bad commute is inevitable.

Does anyone have input on this? I mean sure I could move to plano or frisco or something like that, but it would only marginally shorten the commute. It seems like 635 is the real problem, and unless I would want to live right in farmers branch, or darn close(which I don't), it will always be a bad drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2006, 10:54 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times
Hey there, I live in Mckinney. My husband works over off of Knox Henderson and so you can imagine it is quite a drive. They actually are starting flex time soon, so it will make the commute much better for him. With us here, we have kids and it was important for us to find a place to live that would be kid/ family friendly and Mckinney has been great. We have parks, neighbors with kiddos, good schools and an abundance of business's and resturants to chose from. Farmers Branch will be a pain to drive. If you are working west, consider some of the great burbs of the northwest over there if a burb is what you are desiring. Check out Coppel or Flower Mound. Actually a year ago, my husband was up for a job over in Flower Mound, there are some really nice homes over there. Mckinney is a great place to live but there are some really nice burbs over near Farmers Branch too.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:39 PM

13 posts, read 172,809 times
Default Commuting to Farmers Branch

Driving from/to Farmers Branch to McKinney is total He%%

I did that for over a year until I finally quit my job and now work from home.Don't do it!! Live close to your work. Trust me you will save yourself some high medical bills due to the STRESS of driving to/from work. I tried every route possible and I practically had to leave my house at 6:15 a.m. everyday and leave my job at 4:25 p.m. to get here in about an hour and a half!!! It is AWFUL!! I used to work down by Valley View and 35 and live off 75 in McKinney.
Don't do it!!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:08 PM

19 posts, read 52,677 times
Agree, the commute will get old very fast.

A lot of people from So. Cal make fun of DFW residents for complaing about there traffic. No, our traffic isn't as bad as LA, but no one's traffic is as bad as LA. They don't have a monopoly on bad traffic, though.

I have an hour commute from downtown Dallas to home (Grapevine), and, to make it worse, I drive a stickshift (I should really garage that car during the week and take the SUV). It gets very old after a while, but you learn to live with it. Some days I just wait and leave work at 7pm to avoid the traffic.

You're in for a drive. But McKinney is a very nice town. Farmers Branch - well, not so nice to live it. You have to decide if the commute is worth it. You might also consider flexing your commute times (leave home late in the AM, leave work late in the PM) or telecommute.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:22 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckqualls View Post
Agree, the commute will get old very fast.

A lot of people from So. Cal make fun of DFW residents for complaing about there traffic. No, our traffic isn't as bad as LA, but no one's traffic is as bad as LA. They don't have a monopoly on bad traffic, though.

I have an hour commute from downtown Dallas to home (Grapevine), and, to make it worse, I drive a stickshift (I should really garage that car during the week and take the SUV). It gets very old after a while, but you learn to live with it. Some days I just wait and leave work at 7pm to avoid the traffic.

You're in for a drive. But McKinney is a very nice town. Farmers Branch - well, not so nice to live it. You have to decide if the commute is worth it. You might also consider flexing your commute times (leave home late in the AM, leave work late in the PM) or telecommute.
This thread is over 3 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas