Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:16 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
...and 4.5 inches ahead for the year doesn't negate the shortage for the last 2 years.

The average usage in Dallas is 250 gallons per person per day. That's outrageous. I have been recording our usage and have done many things to limit our usage. By looking at our house/lawn/etc, you would have no idea that we use substantially less than that. We use 113 gal/person/day. As Momof2 stated, watering once a week is just fine for our region. That's what we do. I also break up my watering into three separate "feedings" in that one day - once at midnight, once at 1:30am, once at 3:00am. By running each zone 1/3 of the total watering time, 3 times in one night, I have minimized runoff to ensure most of the water I put down gets soaked into the ground.

I believe San Antonio's average is 170 gal/day/person. That's 80 gals less (32%) than Dallas average.
That's crazy, we have four kids who are homeschooled, we're having to add an inch of water to our 9' x 9' hottub every week and we only use an average of 140 gallons a day. (And I thought that was out rageous.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 12:20 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
There has to be something to that stat as it seems outrageous. Perhaps the huge influx of people from other regions compared to San Antonio who don't really know the native vegetation. Different way of measuring usage here vs SA. Smaller household sizes here?(I would think smaller households use more water) It just seems odd that 270 miles up I-35E things are so much different.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:35 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
With a majority of the globe covered in water, it seems that someone would come up with low cost desalinization product and a method to pump seawater into remote areas through a ducted system.
Uh... pumping sea water into remote areas? You're suggesting pumping water up hill... which is a VERY energy intensive task. Dallas is over 600 ft above sea level. I'd hate to see what that water would cost.

Incidentally, desalination isn't nearly as expensive as it used to be. It's the pumping costs that make seawater non feasible beyond a very short distance from the ocean...

Old 05-28-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
That's crazy, we have four kids who are homeschooled, we're having to add an inch of water to our 9' x 9' hottub every week and we only use an average of 140 gallons a day. (And I thought that was out rageous.)
I've done a little reasearch instead of just tossing around a statistic. The 250 gal/day/person is not just their residential usage, it's the total water usage of an area divided by it's population, so it includes water you use while eating our for dinner, drinking coffee at work and irrigating the park in your neighborhood.

I've tried to find a statistic of "average home usage" to no avail...

GoPadge - Are you saying 140 gal/day/person in your house? Assuming you + wife + 4 kids, that's 6 x 140 x 30 = 25,200. That does seem like quite a bit, but you do have 5 of the people at home while you're at work. What is your timing on your irrigation? Typically, that's the largest water use in a home. Some people water 10-15 minutes every day!

Old 05-28-2007, 07:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
My sprinkler system is set for 10 minutes twice a week. But, we haven't had to use it at all this spring because of the amount of rain. My yard is so saturated right now I need pontoons on my lawnmower!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:41 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
http://www.evilwhiteguy.com/blog/images/redneckmower.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-28-2007, 08:47 AM

My lawn needs to be mowed badly... but it's just too wet!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:54 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
We need to bookmark this thread so we can return to it in August, when it is hot and dry and we are praying for rain.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 AM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
Outside service just came to mow our common area and the grass in my opinion was much too wet to do. Now their are tire marks . I don't know much about grass but I'd think that mowing while the grass still is so heavy with water would hurt the grass. Anybody know if this is the case?

Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
We need to bookmark this thread so we can return to it in August, when it is hot and dry and we are praying for rain.
Good point socketz, but if I remember correctly you are new to the area right? The amount of rain we're having this spring may very well bring us a wet summer as well. This spring reminds me of 2004, when it rained quite a bit (even more this spring than then).

In 2004, I was working at Siemens in Arlington and we had a couple of German Expats working in the cubes next to me. They would ask about the summer and I would tell them, "Man you are in for the shock of your life come summer; it is truly brutal here." Well summer came and went and they kept asking me (or good-natured taunting was more like it) "When is this Texas summer that you speak of going to arrive?" with grins on their faces.

Due to the rain we had that spring, the summer was WAAAAY cooler than normal. I remember several days on end in July and August where it would never get out of the mid 80s. Upper 80s to low 90s were the norm, and it rained off and on all summer long. I think we had one or two days where it got above 100 degrees all summer long.

So, I'm willing to hedge my bets and say that this summer is going to be relatively mild. It's friggin' June (almost) and we've rarely gotten above 85 or 86 degrees (yesterday was 77!). In past years, we've already gone into the mid (even upper) 90s by April.

I love the picture of the lawnmower. Makes me think of a redneck riding mower, or something to that effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas