Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,318 times

Advertisements

why does it seem like the houses at Oaks at Firewheel not selling like they should? its a very nice location with nice pricing, i just dont get it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:16 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
The location might be good but these are zero lot line homes with very little yard. Most people in this area want a yard for their dogs & kids and such. Those yards are not even big enough for a small plastic wading pool. Also, Meritage took it over after it was already being developed from GRAND HOMES! One builder to stay far, far, far away from, Grand Homes. That probably killed it right there with people knowing that Grand was in the mix.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:55 AM

264 posts, read 625,353 times
It's actually megatel homes, not meritage.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM

722 posts, read 2,101,734 times
it also says houses starting at 255K. That seems awfully high per sq ft for the area. The houses look like they start at about 2000 sq ft and up.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:52 PM

146 posts, read 437,780 times
IMHO, if the builder was more reputable that location would sell better. There's no full-time sales staff there anymore since they began building in Woodbridge. Stopped in once and was promised an e-mail and follow up phone call with additional information. Never heard from 'em.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:57 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,981 times
The high voltage lines through the development would be a real no-no for me (visually, not because of "electromagnetic waves"...)

Also, that name is really cynical. This corner WAS heavily wooded and the developer turned it into a moonscape to build cheaply. Oaks at Firewheel. Yeah, right.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,482 times
Default grand homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The location might be good but these are zero lot line homes with very little yard. Most people in this area want a yard for their dogs & kids and such. Those yards are not even big enough for a small plastic wading pool. Also, Meritage took it over after it was already being developed from GRAND HOMES! One builder to stay far, far, far away from, Grand Homes. That probably killed it right there with people knowing that Grand was in the mix.

What is wrong with Grand Homes? We are new to the area and love their homes. I was surprised to see this post. Please fill me in.
Thanks!

Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnagray View Post
What is wrong with Grand Homes? We are new to the area and love their homes. I was surprised to see this post. Please fill me in.
Thanks!
Do the search under the Dallas forum and put in "Grand Homes". They are to be avoided AT ALL COSTS!!!! There is not a reputable realtor in all of DFW that would steer their clients to a Grand Homes. They even bring down the neighborhoods they build in.

Here are some of the links for threads on here about them:

grand homes in valley ranch

Grand Homes - New home construction

Getting earnest money back from Grand Homes

There are a TON more.

FYI, most people that are "happy" with them tend to be not so savy when it comes to quality home construction, the way the builders are SUPPOSED to behave, their warranty, etc. Some people are just flat out oblivious to the issues that may plague the house they are buying or have bought.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,074 times
I stopped in at the Oaks at Firehweel. Surprising to see a model home completely unfurnished. When I asked for some sales literature on the different floor plans, amenities and pricing, I was given a business card and told to visit their website. Now, I totally get the going green thing and am totally cool with using the internet for almost everything, which I already do, but hello? I went to their website and their isn't any pricing or amenity information. How do they think they will ever sell those lots in that development with this approach. If you're going to drive traffic to your website, at least put the information there so people can find it. Or is it they cannot afford to pay for the sales material to hand out? I don't know...but on the surface, it does not seem good.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:49 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noselling View Post
I stopped in at the Oaks at Firehweel. Surprising to see a model home completely unfurnished. When I asked for some sales literature on the different floor plans, amenities and pricing, I was given a business card and told to visit their website. Now, I totally get the going green thing and am totally cool with using the internet for almost everything, which I already do, but hello? I went to their website and their isn't any pricing or amenity information. How do they think they will ever sell those lots in that development with this approach. If you're going to drive traffic to your website, at least put the information there so people can find it. Or is it they cannot afford to pay for the sales material to hand out? I don't know...but on the surface, it does not seem good.
Megatel purchased the lots from Grand. Megatel rarely build any specs. They like to customize the homes for the buyers. They also almost never have a model home and are difficult to reach. They build very nice homes and good quality too but they lack in the marketing dept. big time. Their website does not even have all the communities they are building in. I guess they must be doing well if they're not advertising.

I wonder who was in the spec home you saw. What did the business card say? Some small builders sometimes a Realtor sit in on their homes to get some business.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: