Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,136,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I know it sounds weird, but I actually think Sinclair's campus integrates well into the city. It's not very connected to it, which is an issue, but the whole area around it has little connectivity because it is surrounded by freeways and government complexes. And the buildings look good with the skyline - they give it a lot of depth.
Ok, now that I'm on Sinclair's campus for summer classes 18+ hours a week, I disagree with myself. Ohioan58 and Dayton Sux, you guys are right, it's very Orwellian there. Go in to campus in your car pod, shuttle your way through campus on skywalks, and there is never a reason to go outside! Ever.

As I was posting on another thread, I ran across this video. Interesting stuff, especially if you have an hour to kill and no good TV shows to watch:

Sinclair Community College Master Plan 2013 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 04:17 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,693,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Ok, now that I'm on Sinclair's campus for summer classes 18+ hours a week, I disagree with myself. Ohioan58 and Dayton Sux, you guys are right, it's very Orwellian there. Go in to campus in your car pod, shuttle your way through campus on skywalks, and there is never a reason to go outside! Ever.
That's a shame, really. Sinclair's campus design always seemed to me to evoke a suburban location. I think that was the intention: make it remote from city life and highly suburban flavored by emphasizing cars.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:49 PM

^Well, hopefully this can be one small step towards changing that:

City approves housing plan for former DDN site | www.daytondailynews.com

... I looked at their past projects, and good examples were done near Central State and Wilberforce. Looked like good quality.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:52 AM

The City of Dayton now is spending $1 Million to clear the 4th and Ludlow site....

City commits $1M toward student housing effort | www.daytondailynews.com

(it's behind the paywall, but there is nothing from any other news outlets).

Old 03-12-2015, 12:27 PM

Posting this here (RDreisenUD already put it on the development thread):

Sinclair Comunity College plans $32M rehab to downtown Dayton campus - Dayton Business Journal

It's a nice first step to take towards doing this master plan. This building would essentially serve as a cornerstone for the new gateway onto campus at 4th and Perry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton