Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times

Advertisements

Based on discussion on other threads, I was wondering what everyone thought Dayton's best independent restaurants were for these types of food:

American
Mexican
Italian
Chinese
Pizza
Subs (yes, they are two separate categories in Dayton)
BBQ
Steaks
Japanese
Thai
Indian
Vietnamese
Coffee
Smoothies
Ice Cream
Baked Goods
Cupcakes
Breakfast
Doughnuts
Beer
Wine
Cocktails
Pub Food
Diner
Late night eating
Fine dining

Overall best in the metro -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times
Here are mine:

American - Harrison's in Tipp. Why? - Bowman Landes Turkey Chili!
Mexican - El Meson in West Carrollton
Italian - La Piaza in Troy, altough I need to try Roost, Giovanni's, and Mama DiSalvio's
Chinese - Shen's in Vandalia
Pizza - Marion's
Subs (yes, they are two separate categories in Dayton) - Submarine House
BBQ - Smokin' BBQ downtown
Steaks - Fairlawn in Greenville (I know, I passed up the Pine Club, but Fairlawn just can't be beat...)
Japanese - Sakai in Troy
Thai - Thai 9 in the OD
Indian - Amar India by the mall. Wish there was Indian food downtown!
Vietnamese - Lihn's at Airway
Coffee - Press by the OD
Smoothies - Boston Stoker
Ice Cream - Ben and Jerry's by UD
Baked Goods - Dorothy Lane Market
Cupcakes - Ele' Cupcakes in West Carrollton
Breakfast - Sam and Ethel's in Tipp
Doughnuts - Jim's Doughnuts in Vandalia
Beer - Brixx Ice Co. downtown
Wine - The Wine Gallery downtown
Cocktails - Century Bar downtown
Pub Food - Dublin Pub downtown
Diner - Tank's not a diner per se, but you get the idea... in South Park
Late night eating - Taste in Trotwood
Fine dining - Starz Lounge above the Crowne Plaza, downtown

Overall best in the metro - Although it was hard to pick, I have to give it to El Meson. Close second would go to Coldwater Cafe in Tipp, and a close third would go to the Pine Club.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,872 times
I think that most of that list looks reasonable, but a Chinese place that isn't China Cottage? Most people think that of their four locations, the Centerville one is the best, but not only does the food taste better at the one on Wilmington Pike, but it costs less for the same portion.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Tanks would be my vote for best breakfast, or Perkins (a chain, but a big breakfast for the price).

Mexican would be (sometimes) Taqueria Mixteca.

Pizza would be Rons in Miamisburg.

Fine Dining. Hmm...The Winds, but for fancy context Savona in Centerville. Havn't been to the new Cocos yet.

Agree with Press and Amar India in their respective categories.

Jims has better filled pastrys (esp their streusel) but Bills has the better donuts.

Good baked goods are hard to find here. DLM stuff looks fancy but they could do better. Best baked goods are the homemade tortes sometime avaialble the Liederkranz, or the homemade stuff you can pick up at the local coffee shops.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
I think the Pizza Factory makes a great pie. I like Marion's sausage pizza as well. I've never been to Rons so I'll have to give that a try.

I'm not a Mexican food guy but Taqueria Mixteca strikes me as being much more authentic than any of the chains, but I'll leave that argument to you Mexican food fans.

Tanks is a good old fashioned breatfast place. Butter Cafe seems to be pretty good as well but they are two completely different atmospheres.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Milano's!

Do you need anything else?

Although because I have such a love affair with Milano's, I rarely go anywhere else when I'm in Dayton, which is kind of a bummer because there are all these new places to try out.

Or ... When I suggest going elsewhere that's not Milano's, I find out the restaurant has closed. *sigh*

Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM

913 posts, read 2,361,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Milano's!

Do you need anything else?

Although because I have such a love affair with Milano's, I rarely go anywhere else when I'm in Dayton, which is kind of a bummer because there are all these new places to try out.

Or ... When I suggest going elsewhere that's not Milano's, I find out the restaurant has closed. *sigh*

This.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM

41 posts, read 133,534 times
We found a most wonderful restaurant by a private chef called Hawthorne Grill on Stroop Rd in Kettering. We had our Easter Brunch there and I have never eaten such wonderful food. The chef ran a 6 course meal that was just amazingly memorable. It was also very reasonably priced. We have also eaten at Rue Dumaine in Centerville...for its ranking here, I was not satisfied nor amazed for the $120 (for 2) price tag it came with and the 3 hour wait...nope they won't see me again!
Not in Dayton, but a 15 minute drive north is Coldwater Cafe. Private chef again, but their food is one of the best in our area! The quiche is memorable, crab cakes--the best, the creme brulee--so unbelievably creamy.
Hawthorne Grille 1-10...9
Rue Dumaine 5
Coldwater Cafe...9

Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Here are mine:

American - Harrison's in Tipp. Why? - Bowman Landes Turkey Chili!
Mexican - El Meson in West Carrollton
Italian - La Piaza in Troy, altough I need to try Roost, Giovanni's, and Mama DiSalvio's
Chinese - Shen's in Vandalia
Pizza - Marion's
Subs (yes, they are two separate categories in Dayton) - Submarine House
BBQ - Smokin' BBQ downtown
Steaks - Fairlawn in Greenville (I know, I passed up the Pine Club, but Fairlawn just can't be beat...)
Japanese - Sakai in Troy
Thai - Thai 9 in the OD
Indian - Amar India by the mall. Wish there was Indian food downtown!
Vietnamese - Lihn's at Airway
Coffee - Press by the OD
Smoothies - Boston Stoker
Ice Cream - Ben and Jerry's by UD
Baked Goods - Dorothy Lane Market
Cupcakes - Ele' Cupcakes in West Carrollton
Breakfast - Sam and Ethel's in Tipp
Doughnuts - Jim's Doughnuts in Vandalia
Beer - Brixx Ice Co. downtown
Wine - The Wine Gallery downtown
Cocktails - Century Bar downtown
Pub Food - Dublin Pub downtown
Diner - Tank's not a diner per se, but you get the idea... in South Park
Late night eating - Taste in Trotwood
Fine dining - Starz Lounge above the Crowne Plaza, downtown

Overall best in the metro - Although it was hard to pick, I have to give it to El Meson. Close second would go to Coldwater Cafe in Tipp, and a close third would go to the Pine Club.
Very nice list!

I have a couple couple suggestions. For barbecue scratch Smokin BBQ and check out:

OinkADoodleMoo Smoky BBQ | Dayton's Championship Style Barbeque

And add Amber Rose for eastern European food.

The Amber Rose

If you want a cheaper offering for Thai than Thai 9 check out Siam Pad Thai in Kettering: (they have excellent sushi)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Siam-...17361161622767

Also, check out Charlie's Imports for an excellent deli:

Charlie's Import Foods Inc

And damn! Glad to see you like The Century and Tanks. I absolutely love both bars!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 AM

164 posts, read 381,827 times
Hmm, I have an opinion on these...

Mexican - Taqueria Mixteca
Italian - Mama DiSalvo's
Chinese - China Cottage (Kettering)
Pizza - Carmela's (I'm not originally from here - Marion's is garbage )
BBQ - City Barbeque
Thai - Siam Pad Thai / Thai 9
Sushi - Kabuki
Indian - Amar
Vietnamese - Little Saigon / Linh's
Ice Cream - Graeter's
Doughnuts - Bill's
Beer - Lucky's Taproom
Pub Food - Buckin' Donkey Grille
Cajun/Creole - Taste (Trotwood)
Carry-Out - Fresco (Kettering)

El Meson is great, but it's not really Mexican - it's Latin/Spanish. Regardless, I agree that it's one of the best in the region... and their margaritas are amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
I think that most of that list looks reasonable, but a Chinese place that isn't China Cottage? Most people think that of their four locations, the Centerville one is the best, but not only does the food taste better at the one on Wilmington Pike, but it costs less for the same portion.
Absolutely - that's the one on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Tanks would be my vote for best breakfast, or Perkins (a chain, but a big breakfast for the price).

Mexican would be (sometimes) Taqueria Mixteca.

Pizza would be Rons in Miamisburg.

Fine Dining. Hmm...The Winds, but for fancy context Savona in Centerville. Havn't been to the new Cocos yet.

Agree with Press and Amar India in their respective categories.

Jims has better filled pastrys (esp their streusel) but Bills has the better donuts.

Good baked goods are hard to find here. DLM stuff looks fancy but they could do better. Best baked goods are the homemade tortes sometime avaialble the Liederkranz, or the homemade stuff you can pick up at the local coffee shops.
We went a couple weeks ago. Very nice dining room, though a not extremely intimate due to very high ceilings. Still has a great menu, but it was Restaurant Week - thus, I don't think I can fairly comment on the overall experience/service.

Not that R-Week's an excuse to drop the ball, but I also realize it's hard to avoid a somewhat more hectic experience those two weeks each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton