Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 12:31 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,754,390 times

Advertisements

I moved about two weeks ago and still haven't lined up a decent internet connect. ...Haven't even lined up important belongings.

The notable Dayton Daily News is not in shape to present stuff on my cell phone.

What's been happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 03:52 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
I've been having the same issue. I have the DDN app, and sometimes it just never loads. I think part of the issue was I switched some background info for my pay subscription account, but even then that should not be an issue because the app is free. That's why now I almost exclusively read DDN from my laptop. DBJ I read a lot more from the smartphone.

The "Today's Paper" part for me is a pain, because the interface is built almost exclusively for tablets. This makes sense, I guess, because you need a touch screen to flip pages easily. Otherwise you have to click for every page.

Both IMO are still far inferior to getting a physical paper. I have learned now how to navigate their site quickly so I can read the daily updates in about 5 minutes, rather than fumble through a whole paper which can take a lot longer. So for me I guess online works better overall, but I do feel like I miss a lot of important articles just doing the online version.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:09 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
I moved about two weeks ago and still haven't lined up a decent internet connect. ...Haven't even lined up important belongings.

The notable Dayton Daily News is not in shape to present stuff on my cell phone.

What's been happening?

Use the channel 7 app? I mean, it's Cox Media, not sure why you didn't think of that

Old 06-15-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Use the channel 7 app? I mean, it's Cox Media, not sure why you didn't think of that

Oh, but I did/do consider Channel 7.

Apart from the fact that it's not the same.... The paper, I think, at least once, had two editions, one for the city and an earlier one that went out to the region. Historically the approach at 7 was the entire Miami Valley while Channel 2 was aimed more at the city proper, and it's still rather that way. I believe the approach by Channel 2 is closer. Apart from that, and the fact that 7 is written for broadcast media not print media, there's another little matter:

I connect to Verizon mobile web just fine, and look at their nine choices -- email, facebook, etc. (News is # 4). At # 4 I pick LocalNews (# 9) and "Select By City" begins with "select region," i.e., "Midwest." After fiddling around, eventually one does get down to Dayton and none other than Channel 7. At that connection, dear, there is not even a logo. No "7." It's blank on top -- totally unprofessional and rather disgustingly so. Once there, one can choose "Local News" (# 3), and of the ten items offered one may be of Dayton and one may very well even be national news....

Now, maybe with your cell phone company there is Dayton news.

If you look at the Dayton Daily New home page, right in the top middle there's a string of stories listed. It may only be their idea of what's most important and not yours, but it's adequate. And, if you slide down to "local news" and click, you'll get two lists, news in general and crime news, both likewise adequate. You can expand the lists to get one paragraph more "detail" all strung together.

On the computer I've got links to all Dayton media as well as some to both the north and the south (north because I have a friend that lives north of Dayton). Cox's Dayton Daily News may be biased for sure, but it is the best around -- and as prompt with national news as the national media itself.

In other words, I'm not looking for "Cox," I'm looking for current news. It just happens to be Cox's DDN that is most likely to have it to a reasonable extent.

Any other comment?

Old 06-17-2014, 10:00 PM

So where are the news tidbits now that local news has made international headlines?

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 06-17-2014 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: