Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times

Advertisements

I see some stuff on the old market house. Here's an extended history with some old pix, too....

From Market House to Bus Hub: 179 Years of Market Place (Dayton)(long)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 04:48 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
A few more rephotography threads:

Downtown Dayton S of 3rd: Ludlow Street Rephotography

More Dayton Rephotography + Webster Station.

...and one of my favorites (the rephotography is at the bottom of the thread)

History of a Parking Lot (D8N)(mostly diagrams & maps)

@@@@@2

And, this before & after concept owes a debt to Bernice Abbot:

NYPL Digital Gallery | Changing New York: Photographs by Berenice Abbott, 1935-1938

...and Douglas Levere, who revisits Bernice Abbot:

New York Changing

...and the rephotography movement in general.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:11 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,902,097 times
I'm ready to add some more now that I know some people like this stuff too:

Winters Bank, North Main St. 1959

The view in 2012 or so

Here is a view just to the S of there with the same building in view. Be sure to hit [next] a couple of times to see some detail. There is hardly any small-scale retail like that around there any more.

Home Store, South Main 1957
This one is a tough match since the original was taken on the W side of the very wide Main St and google views from the E.
Just N of bus terminal - circa 2012 or so.
This is just to the N ( or left ) of the [ City Market 1955 ] shots. Be sure to click the [next] button to see some detail from the view above.

That brings up another point. The stuff that Dayton Sux posted is grand, but really requires some research since it isn't always clear where the shot is, unless, like he, one has an encyclopedic memory of the landmarks and streets.

I've literally already spent an hour looking and cross-checking the stuff they posted and I'm not done geeking.

I love this one from my old neighborhood. I used to work across the street at the Punkin' Patch ( now the Partners Bar ). Chicken Delight, Patterson Road 1955 ( Extra points for someone who remembers the PP restaurant. )

Antiques Store .

It's wonderful and amazing that this building still survives since it would provide such nice parking if it were removed ... < Snort! >.

This is near Patterson and Shroyer ( 442 Patterson Road ) which I think is the original Marion's location. There is a bike trail right under Patterson that used to be a functioning train that ran past U.D. under a rise in Patterson Road that has been removed, unfortunately. I used to walk these tracks for miles to the S and all the way to NCR to the N.

Dayton Plumbing Parking Lot, Brown Street 1959 ( 906 Brown Street )

The google street view shows: 914 Brown Street The address in DHBs is wrong. The houses behind here are incorrect.

Fluff Dry Laundry - Lady Elizabeth Furniture 1957 . ( Intersection of Wayne Ave., Mad River St., Eagle St., and Richard St )
There is nothing to see here. I think this spot lies buried under Rt 35. There is no trace of Mad River or Eagle St, but there is a stub of Richard St to the East of Wayne.

This is just N of 700 Wayne Avenue . I suspect that the burgundy building in the foreground was just to the left of the image above.

Another shot from under I-35 in days of yore: Globe Laundry, 1727 Richard St. 1957
Again, Richard St is just a stub . The number on the house says 1927 and 1931. They must be visible in the background of above, but too blurry to make out.

I don't tend to analyze stuff from the old shots of Gettysburg or Broadway and those W-side streets. Sometimes, I look, but I have no memory of the places. I'm too pasty to have gone to those places much.

Holiday Club Cafeteria, 1604 S. Broadway 1957

and now . Note that the blocky building to the left appears to still be there as well as the house with the porch behind the street, but not the Holiday Club.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 07-04-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 04:03 PM

I was going to quit for the day, but this one is really really nice:

Genuine Parts, 401 South Main St. 1957

Nicely restored.

There is a really neat shot further down this street ( Franklin St. ) from the Love of Dayton book. It shows a view of Emmanuel Catholic Church with humongous towers on it fronting a dirt road. If I can find it on-line, I'll post it. The view is from Ludlow.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
A few more rephotography threads:
:::...:::
...and one of my favorites (the rephotography is at the bottom of the thread)

History of a Parking Lot (D8N)(mostly diagrams & maps).
From near the bottom of the post:

I like the comment that this building used to have a head shop - circa 1970.

If I'm not mistaken, my mother took me to the coin shop there around the same time. The store later moved to the Dayton Mall. I bought a bunch of old "junk" silver there. No mention of them in directories now.

I have really enjoyed comparing photos back-and-forth in this post of yours. I've wasted hours and I've got more to waste.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 PM

Wow. It's been more than six months since I've posted a gem here.

I found an old farmhouse that's twice as big as any nearby houses just a couple blocks N of Belmont High.

Here is a view of the South entrance looking from Clarence, the first street N of Wayne. It appears that the associated lot ( remains of the old farm ) take up the area of about 12 nearby houses.

This house is a beauty.

I stumbled on this area because I was tinkering with the flood map I just linked to in the Dayton pictures sticky.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
Wow, that is an amazing find!

Wonder how much it would take to get the owner to move? Zillow values it at $165k.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:35 PM

This is another cool shot looking East on Springfield Street where it merges with 3rd street. ( The caption says "East Third Street looking east at Springfield Street," but the tracks lead up Springfield.

The 'V-shaped' building on the right side of the photo is still there! ( at least in the google street view )

View near the turn of the 20th century. ( click the picture for a better view )

View today.

I found this site courtesy of weatherphotographer's link posted in Dayton Pictures Thread

I fully intend to waste a great deal of time here and post an outrageous amount of nerdy stuff like this.

Brown and Wyoming then ( the picture is not great, but it still shows the fire station )
Brown and Wyoming recent

If you have a picture editor/viewer, you can [Right-click] - [Copy] - [Paste] to view it even bigger ...

Last edited by IDtheftV; 03-20-2015 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton