Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times

Advertisements

Winter happens here, but it isn't exactly Fargo. For the most part, it stays above zero.

You don't need snow tires, just tires with some tread. Driving on bald tires in ice is a good way to land in a ditch somewhere. Even if this ends up a mild El Nino winter, expect plenty of moisture like we've had the last few days, and the big accumulating snows happen when it's right at or just below freezing. Below 20, snow is powder and doesn't accumulate as much. Probably never saw more than six inches on the ground last year, and we would warm up to above freezing every so often to melt it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 12:49 PM

8 posts, read 7,021 times
Thank you..

Could anyone please explain the car registration process. Some states need the car inspection receipt but some states don't need it. I need to register car and transfer DL.
Please advise

Old 01-02-2016, 05:22 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Ohio doesn't need a smog check like California (for example), just title.

ODPS | BMV | Vehicle Registration

Old 01-02-2016, 07:50 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Ohio doesn't need a smog check like California (for example), just title.

ODPS | BMV | Vehicle Registration
Thank God we got rid of that dastardly Echeck

Old 01-03-2016, 03:39 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadhye View Post
Thank you..

Could anyone please explain the car registration process. Some states need the car inspection receipt but some states don't need it. I need to register car and transfer DL.
Please advise
1) Get an Ohio driver's license at the registration office... get your picture taken, etc.
2) Take your out of state title to the title bureau (each county has a couple different locations). They'll issue a new Ohio title in your name, the fee is a few bucks, maybe $15. You'll need the Ohio DL for this.
3) Take the Ohio title back over to the registration office, where you can get plates and registration. There's an inspection, but it's just to verify that the VIN number on the car matches that of the title. Registration is $55-ish.

If you're lucky, some locations will have both the title bureau and registration people in the same building... sometimes right next door or across the hall from each other.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:48 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
One difference between Dayton and the sprawling suburbias of the Sun Belt -I also came here from one - is you can be out of the center of the city here and into the far suburbs and then the country (not subdivisions full of people who think they live in the country) within a half hour. From Highway 35 it's a straight shot to Beavercreek, and what you seek is there. Beavercreek also has a lot of people who work at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base not far away. 35 also doesn't bottleneck as much as I-70 does, a lot of which has to do with construction that should be wrapping up soon. It's been torn up the whole time I've been here.
That's because Midwestern cities are small. If you want suburban sprawl try Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Detroit. Chicago suburban sprawl is the closest thing you'll find to say, Virginia, Georgia, DC or Maryland. Most Midwest cities are well under 100 square miles.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:53 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Thank God we got rid of that dastardly Echeck

Yeah I remember that from the early 2000s. No emissions check anymore? Interesting.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:56 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yeah I remember that from the early 2000s. No emissions check anymore? Interesting.
Certain counties - Cuyahoga and Summit off the top of my head - still have echeck. Nothing anywhere near southwestern Ohio, though.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:38 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
That's because Midwestern cities are small. If you want suburban sprawl try Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Detroit. Chicago suburban sprawl is the closest thing you'll find to say, Virginia, Georgia, DC or Maryland. Most Midwest cities are well under 100 square miles.
If you lump the growing development (or mess depending on your POV) between Cincinnati and Dayton, you get plenty of that sprawl nature. It slowed during the recession, but has only picked back up since the recovery gained some legs. Really thinking about it, you could drive I-75 from Walton, KY all the way to Troy, OH and see non-stop development now. That alone is a nearly 100 mile drive.

Still nothing compared to Chicago or NOVA/DC/MD or Atlanta.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:16 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
I doubt anybody here has had snowtires since the 1980s.
Radial tires killed those off but I had a set of those klunky bias-ply snow tires on my 1978 Plymouth Fury, the road noise was unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton