Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,256 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I was wondering if I could ask for some help

My husband was offered a great job in Springboro (Austin Landing) and we are considering relocating, from Cincinnati. We moved to Cincinnati from KY, so we aren't to familiar with the Dayton area. We are looking at Oakwood, Centerville, or Springboro. We've really only checked out Oakwood so far and it is a lovely place with great schools and character galore (which we love), but we REALLY want a yard. If we found the right house in Oakwood with a yard, we'd be sold. But we think we need to expand our search. Can anyone help fill us in on the differences between Springboro and Centerville? We have a 3 year old, and maybe another child in the future--so schools are important. And we'd love a yard that is at least 0.5-1acre. We'd appreciate the help so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,939,481 times
Austin landing is actually a few miles north of Springboro, I have in laws that live in Miami Village on the other side of 741 from Austin landing and it is in the Miamisburg school district, they send their kids to parochial schools. Try looking in the area around Lytle 5 Points Rd. there are a few homes in that area that have bigger yards and still in the Springboro school district.

I work in Springboro and you should avoid anything that would have you driving in the areas of 741 south of 73 going by the schools, during the school year I usually take the back roads (Springboro Rd - Red Lion 5 Points) just to avoid the back ups, a drive that only took 15 minutes in 1979 takes me about 25 minutes now and it would be impossible to widen 741 between Lower Springboro Rd and 73.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:42 PM

72 posts, read 105,133 times
I have only lived in the area for 2 years but I really don't know if there is too much of a difference between Centerville and Springboro. Centerville schools are bigger but slightly higher rated according to flawed great schools ratings. Both school districts are excellent from what I have been told. As an outsider Springboro has a vibe of growing quickly and maybe no being able to handle the speed of that growth. We live in Centerville and really couldn't be happier. Depending on the size of yard you want and your price range check out the Yankee Tracs development (I live there) it's in Centerville but 5 minutes from Austin Landing.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:44 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,447,674 times
I'd take Centerville over Springboro, but they are basically the same.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:59 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,701 times
Springboro, since it's in Warren County, will have a lower property tax rate than Centerville. I would lean towards Springboro for the proximity of the commute and also you're somewhat closer to Cincinnati if that's important to you.

Other than that, it's half a dozen in one hand, six in the other.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:09 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,083,741 times
It really depends, IMO, how much you want to spend and how new the home needs to be.

Since age probably isn't as much of an issue (you are looking in Oakwood, after all), it then becomes a question of, do you want a newer home? By newer, I mean built new or within the last 5-10 years. Springboro, and by extension, Clearcreek Township, will offer more newer homes, and especially newer homes with large lots. The township, which for the most part, attends Springboro Schools, is the quintessential definition of an exurb. Large lots, large, new or newer homes, lots of space but lots of development too (sometimes straining the infrastructure).

Centerville will have some of that, but the city and surrounding Washington Township (which primarily attends Centerville Schools), has been in development mode since the 1950's / 1960's onward to today. That has left, in the near term, less land to develop large lot developments and homes in the schools. Of course, you may find large lots or large homes on large lots but they will either be a) more expensive due to supply vs. demand and/or b) 10-15+ years older than homes you could find for similar pricing in Springboro/Clearcreek Township.

It really boils down to the age (and thus design style) of the home, budget and land amount. A decent home, new or newer, in Clearcreek Township will still be expensive (I'm thinking 350K+ easily for a 2000-2500sqft basic colonial on .5-1.5 acres. I'd expand the search to include Clearcreek Township (and not just Springboro) since much of Spirngboro is older, has smaller lots and will also have (and you are familiar with this as an OH resident) a local income tax. Clearcreek Township property will not be subject to this, though you will still pay for where you work, I believe under the Austin Landing JEDD.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:16 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,123 times
The yard requirement leads me to think Springboro over Centerville, even with their school issues (I think they have since been sorted out, and were entirely political/self inflicted).

My only other concern with Springboro would be growing pains, i.e. overcrowding. Often the lag between population growth and school funding in OH is severe, look to Little Miami Schools for a good example of the problem in action. And Springboro is (was?) growing fast, so definitely something to watch for, even if Bellbrook and Waynesville seem to be stealing a lot of Springboro's growth thunder.

As for Centerville, it would be a bit more predictable and stable, relatively speaking, but you'd get less house or yard for the price. Also, the housing stock in Centerville is a bit older than Springboro overall, with more hitting that "un-sweet" spot of 15-25 years old when stuff really starts to fail.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
My daughter raised her kids in the Centerville School system and I was always really impressed with the quality education the kids got (youngest will graduate next year). There are plenty of AP courses and special focus courses, like engineering.

Not only that, but there were programs for toddlers on up, in every sport you could think of, as well as a neighborhood park within walking distance in most neighborhoods. The grands took soccer, golf, tennis, baseball, basketball, football, gymnastics, and probably a few others.

They are getting ready to move out of state, so are kind of glad to be out from under the high property taxes, now that the kids will be out of school, but they really did get great services for the money.

It seems to me that the whole area has a sense of economic healthiness, which is nice to see in Ohio.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:58 PM

8 posts, read 9,534 times
I am following this since I am interested in both areas myself. I like Springboro for the proximity of shopping I prefer and the location to work and Cincy. However, I worry about schools even though I don't have children, I am always thinking resell. I loved Yankee Trace (Centerville) which is beautiful but the homes are older and I don't want to worry about a lot of repairs. Many of the homes we saw needed updating but it's not to say there aren't ones out there. Springboro had some huge houses in Settlers Walk and off Lytle Road. Literally 375K to million plus. Some eclectic homes that were nice since I don't want th exact same house as my neighbor and need some land and privacy.
Anyhow, best of luck to you!

Old 06-23-2016, 04:34 PM

72 posts, read 105,133 times
Funny that you would say the houses in Yankee trace are older. The oldest is probably 15 years old which is still pretty new for Centerville. The Washington trace neighborhood maybe of interest to you its further east down Social Row but not super far from Yankee Trace with newer houses. I love living in Yankee Trace the neighbors are nice, the amenities are great my only complaint is property taxes in Centerville are high and because it is in city limits we pay income tax. An income tax increase is on the ballot for Centerville this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton