Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:58 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Wow, is this off topic or what?
Only if the topic is how Dayton sucks! lol.

Quote:
I didn't get here 'til after Rike's was gomne and most of the other retail had left
I was fortunate to see the last three years or so of Rikes/Lazarus. When I moved here they still had an in-store wine/gourment foods section on a mezzanine level, and an art gallery (run by one of the local arts organizations). Also a candy section and a bakery.

But not to get nostalgic. If downtown living ever takes off here, you'd probably see more shopping. There already is a downtown supermarket, a very small one (next to the arcade), but I could see it upgrading if the market is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 10:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Jeffery T, I love living in our "Snooty South Suburb"; we have a very nice home, the school district is very good and we have DLM and some pretty good restaurants & shopping nearby. However, I truly would like to see downtown (er, make that ALL of Dayton!) rise to it's former glory! I would rather live in a loft downtown than mow grass and weed flower beds... For someone who never really goes down there, I admire downtown Dayton every time I drive through on I-75.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:50 AM

41,944 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper. View Post
Yet oddly, most Dayton folks don't appreciate LaRosa's.
That's because LaRosa's is crap! Sauce is too damn sweet. Too much cheese, which is rubbery to boot. Yick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper. View Post
What's so great about Dorothy Lane Market?
Huge variety, knowledgeable staff, pleasant shopping experience. What more do you need?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 PM

74 posts, read 281,777 times
LaRosa's is a joke. If you want good Cincinnati pizza go to Ramundo's in Mt. something or other, I always get them confused but I think it's lookout.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:10 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
"For someone who never really goes down there"

Exactly. I live on the east side, Beavercreek. In many ways I don't feel like the east and south towns - they do have small downtowns, of Centerville, Bellbrook, Beavercreek, as part of Dayton. I'm not trying to be snooty, I've only lived here a year and don't have a dog in the fight. But the people who try to be the most postive here about Dayton don't really live there, nor do they apparently go there.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:13 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I should add that I would actively cheer any company moving to Dayton, any event that would help Dayton and any positive stories etc. I'm not trying to be down on Dayton. And I know I don't really know it that well.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:09 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
^
they are what we call "suburbs". As in "I live in Centerville, a suburb of Dayton".

For example, if I was talking to someone from outside the area, say on business or vacation and they wanted to know where I lived I would say "Dayton", or "A suburb of Dayton", or "between Dayton and Cincinnati".

Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
LOL............now that's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Other than Mayor McLin's goofy-looking hats, Dayton isn't too bad.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:22 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
No, you're not aristocrats. DLM is a neat place to go. I love the freshly baked pasteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I'm not so sure that my wife and I are "aristocrats" (I'm a trucker and she's a teacher). We shop at the Washington Square store for a number of reasons; we lived in Europe for years and we can find many of the same products at DLM we came to enjoy in Europe. They treat us like valued customers; they relly do "pamper" their customers. Since we buy all our groceries there, we get the best discounts. After all the discounts, I believe we spend no more at DLM than we would at Kroger. Granted, the large chains can take advantage of "economy of scale", but we feel we come out ahead by shopping at DLM. (We buy paper products, houshold cleaners, etc. at Kroger, though) Yes, DLM has quite an assortment of organic products!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:16 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
No, you're not aristocrats. DLM is a neat place to go. I love the freshly baked pasteries.
I still order killer brownies from DLM for my husband on his birthday every year, even though I now live half-way across the country. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton