Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 12:21 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

LOL TFW - reminds me of my cat (she was indoor at night but daytime she'd go out - she was good, just hung around the yard/porch/deck - if it was raining outside either the front or back door, she'd back up and run to the other door and want out - like it wouldn't be raining outside that door

Old 03-08-2015, 02:14 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
How funny, Flamingo. And, actually, how intelligent of your cat to rationalize that way. None of my many dogs (almost all dobermans, over the past 50 years) have ever thought of that.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:55 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
She was smart - she fetched, came when you called her, etc. (she thought she was a dog) - had her 26 yrs.! Got the Germ. Shep. and they got along fine (she would go to his old bedding/hanging out area at night after we lost him and just cry and cry - it was heartbreaking) - I really miss my pets but can't put myself though it again (losing them before I'm ready to) - anyway, don't mean to be a Debbie Downer - but isn't it funny how we "people-ize" our pets? Have good memories of all the past pets - I know you understand given what you've gone through for yours!

On a brighter note - SUNSHINE today!!! It's currently 56 - YAY - FB had a "voodoo snowman" w/knives through it saying "Die Winter - Die" - LOL - maybe it worked?

Old 03-08-2015, 03:49 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,796,611 times
40s here and lots of melting.

About time it gets over freezing!

Last edited by bobrainman; 03-08-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Glad you're warming up up there, Flamingo and Bob. Hope this is the last of your winter weather.

Flamingo, when my daughters were young they had two cats that got along very well with my dobermans. The cats and dogs would sleep cuddled up together, would eat side-by-side and would play together all day long.

One cat would lie on the arm of the sofa, waiting for one of the dobermans to walk by -- and would then jump on his back and ride him like a horse.

And the other cat would play chase all the time -- she'd chase one of the dobermans through the house until they came to a wall, then the doberman would turn around and chase the cat through the house until they came to a wall, and so on.

One cat and one doberman used to play a staring game. They'd lie down facing each other and stare intently at each other. Then the dog would s-l-o-w-l-y open his mouth, place it over the cat's head and close his mouth gently without hurting the cat. They'd stay frozen like that for a minute or two, until the cat would s-l-o-w-l-y bring up a paw and slap the dog across the face. Then he'd open his mouth and free her head. Then they'd repeat over and over again.

Every time I've lost a dog I've vowed "never again". But then I hear about an old doberman who was dumped somewhere and my broken heart heals just enough to take him/her in. When I learned about Queenie being dumped on the street at the age of 9, after obviously being a puppy-factory for many years, I figured she'd have, at best, 2 more years (none of my dobermans had ever lived past 11). That was 5 years ago and she's still going strong (although her vet maintains she's in God's hands now). My heart will truly be broken when she leaves and it will take me a long time to recover.

Below is a photo I took of Queenie in the emergency clinic last September -- one day after she died (following emergency surgery to remove her spleen and part of her stomach) and was brought back to life by the emergency vets there. Not bad-looking for a then-13 year old dog who'd used up 2 of her lives that week:

Last edited by TFW46; 03-08-2015 at 04:52 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 03:23 PM

First afternoon of no rain in over a week, so -- despite its being Friday the 13th -- I got out and ran some errands. The weatehr is still dreary and more like winter than almost-Spring.

Hope the weather is getting better for you, Ketabcha, Flamingo and Bob.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:37 PM

They are saying a cold rain here this weekend which is better than snow.

So glad I sold my house with the sump pump in the basement running every time we got lots of rain.
I had a back up pump plus a 12 volt bilge pump out of a boat so when I lost power I would get the battery out of my car and pump that into the city sewer system instead of the back yard.

I don't miss that at all!

Old 03-13-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Glad you're warming up up there, Flamingo and Bob. Hope this is the last of your winter weather.

Flamingo, when my daughters were young they had two cats that got along very well with my dobermans. The cats and dogs would sleep cuddled up together, would eat side-by-side and would play together all day long.

One cat would lie on the arm of the sofa, waiting for one of the dobermans to walk by -- and would then jump on his back and ride him like a horse.

And the other cat would play chase all the time -- she'd chase one of the dobermans through the house until they came to a wall, then the doberman would turn around and chase the cat through the house until they came to a wall, and so on.

One cat and one doberman used to play a staring game. They'd lie down facing each other and stare intently at each other. Then the dog would s-l-o-w-l-y open his mouth, place it over the cat's head and close his mouth gently without hurting the cat. They'd stay frozen like that for a minute or two, until the cat would s-l-o-w-l-y bring up a paw and slap the dog across the face. Then he'd open his mouth and free her head. Then they'd repeat over and over again.

Every time I've lost a dog I've vowed "never again". But then I hear about an old doberman who was dumped somewhere and my broken heart heals just enough to take him/her in. When I learned about Queenie being dumped on the street at the age of 9, after obviously being a puppy-factory for many years, I figured she'd have, at best, 2 more years (none of my dobermans had ever lived past 11). That was 5 years ago and she's still going strong (although her vet maintains she's in God's hands now). My heart will truly be broken when she leaves and it will take me a long time to recover.

Below is a photo I took of Queenie in the emergency clinic last September -- one day after she died (following emergency surgery to remove her spleen and part of her stomach) and was brought back to life by the emergency vets there. Not bad-looking for a then-13 year old dog who'd used up 2 of her lives that week:
Glad Queenie is doing well Cindy!

Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
It's been raining here for several days. I think we are scheduled for sunshine through the weekend and then rain again. I don't mind rain. It's in the 50s and 60s. Very spring-like. We really need all the rain we can get. With this last rain our area lakes have gone up nearly a foot. That's fabulous but we are still shown as a drought area and have been on watering restrictions for several years.

All in all, I would rather be here than anywhere else.

I'm glad you are out from under the snow, Bob. TFW, I am thrilled that Ms. Queenie is doing so well. My cat, Annie, turned 14 this week. Whoda' thunk it?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:05 PM

Congrats on Annie's 14th birthday, Ketabcha!

Queenie is probably 14 now too, according to all the vets who've seen her over the past 5 years. When I adopted her almost 5 years ago, I figured I'd be lucky to have 2 years with her because dobermans often dont live longer than 11. I feel so blessed to have been able to live with her all these years but it will be so very hard on me when she finally goes. I wont be getting another dog.

Houston has had the same rain (I think) as your area, Ketabcha. we've needed it too but 2-3 weeks straight of dreary days and rain gets depressing. Bob, I'm glad your cold/ice/snow seems to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff