Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 02:09 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Oh for my part I'd love it so much, going back to college and learn lots of new things! Especially now that I have time and could be taking classes here in the US - the only things are: 1 I can't afford it, 2: I don't want to take exams and get a new degree, I'd just love to attend classes. This thing is possible in France, obviously not here unfortunately. And I'm not interested in those evening courses open to everyone, that's not the type of courses I'm interested in... *sad*
Fortunately there was that thread the other day about free courses from the MIT, I'm definitely going to take a look at that - but it's not quite the same as being in a classroom
Call me crazy!

Don't they kill the budget with all the fees they have on campus? I have not been in a college classroom in years but I recall folks telling me in the last few years that there are so many various fees that taking even one class is really, really expensive.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh, yeah, I also took a course in Farsi. I already knew the basics from a military family experience in the early 60s but I was the only non-native-speaker in the class and everyone (and I do mean everyone) took pity on me and helped me a lot. I can cuss really well in Farsi. ROFL.
Farsi? WOW niiiice! I want to learn French.

Isn't is funny how we can learn the worst words quicker? I just can speak fluidly english and spanish. I practiced several years TKD so I know certain korean words. I also studied latin long time ago, but to cuss I can use some german, french and even italian words LMAO

Quote:
Congrats to you, DFWgal. You are following your dream.
Thank you!

Quote:
I hope your pup is just fine and I bet he/she is. Let us know, okay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I hope everything is fine!

After posting this I'm taking the girls to the car and going to the vet. Thanks for caring I appreciate a lot.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Farsi? WOW niiiice! I want to learn French.

Isn't is funny how we can learn the worst words quicker? I just can speak fluidly english and spanish. I practiced several years TKD so I know certain korean words. I also studied latin long time ago, but to cuss I can use some german, french and even italian words LMAO

Thank you!

After posting this I'm taking the girls to the car and going to the vet. Thanks for caring I appreciate a lot.

I studied Latin, too. Wow, it has made all the difference. I was able to pick up Spanish quickly from my godparents who are from Mexico. Plus, any language that has Latin word roots is much easier for me. I love languages. By the time we left Hawaii, after 5 years, I could speak Hawaiian pretty well. I was very young...age 10. Same with Japanese. I could not carry on a conversation in either of those languages today but I can still sing Joy to the World in both languages......not that I am called upon very often to do so. It's just weird that I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday but I can still sing those songs.

We'll be waiting to hear how the "kids" are doing.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:28 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times
All I know is I keep trying to rep all you guys but can't.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I have to read around to catch up on the daily happenings here on Freebie Land. I have reps to give and hopefully, freebies to post!

My son and I went to IKEA this afternoon to get a room divider. Looked simple enough until we got it home and the directions were drawn all weird on this small folded paper. I mean....maybe people in Sweden have all those winter months with nothing to do but put this stuff together, but we found it excruciating!! Three hours later....it does look nice. However, we could have put up dry wall more easily.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM

I love that store. It's a fer piece up the highway from me, maybe an hour and 1/2 away, but it is always worth the drive. Plus, I love the salmon they serve in their cafeteria. oink, oink.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I studied Latin, too. Wow, it has made all the difference.
Absolutely. And it's helpful for my science courses also. Lots of words come from latin. Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
My son and I went to IKEA this afternoon to get a room divider. Looked simple enough until we got it home and the directions were drawn all weird on this small folded paper. I mean....maybe people in Sweden have all those winter months with nothing to do but put this stuff together, but we found it excruciating!! Three hours later....it does look nice. However, we could have put up dry wall more easily.
IKEA, nice! We bought a couple of nice tables there a while ago.

I'm back from the vet. My dog has this growth on her chest but it's not part of the mammary tissue so there is a good chance of it not being a malignant tumor. I need to spay her and ask for the lump to be removed. The doctor said I can ask for a biopsy, but she told me the chemotherapy and treatments for that are so expensive that almost no one can afford them, so probably even that biopsy isn't worth it.

Anyway, I'll take her to the surgeon. Even if she's sick in the end, I want her comfortable, with no things hanging, etc. She's been with me during the hardest times, she deserves the best I can give her.

Hey, I've been rep-ing you guys slowly. I always receive messages like "you need to spread more rep" or "you can't rep this person right now".

Old 08-31-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Absolutely. And it's helpful for my science courses also. Lots of words come from latin. Sweet!

IKEA, nice! We bought a couple of nice tables there a while ago.

I'm back from the vet. My dog has this growth on her chest but it's not part of the mammary tissue so there is a good chance of it not being a malignant tumor. I need to spay her and ask for the lump to be removed. The doctor said I can ask for a biopsy, but she told me the chemotherapy and treatments for that are so expensive that almost no one can afford them, so probably even that biopsy isn't worth it.

Anyway, I'll take her to the surgeon. Even if she's sick in the end, I want her comfortable, with no things hanging, etc. She's been with me during the hardest times, she deserves the best I can give her.

Hey, I've been rep-ing you guys slowly. I always receive messages like "you need to spread more rep" or "you can't rep this person right now".
My little pup had the same thing on her belly and it was caused by a scratch from another dog that became infected (the scratch, not the dog). We don't need no stinkin' scratches!!

I had it removed and everything was just fine.

I think we can only rep a person every other day.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
(the scratch, not the dog).
LOL the idea of "infected dogs" made me think of zombie dogs or something.

(Talking about zombies, have you seen Dead Set? I loved it!)

Old 08-31-2009, 05:47 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I think there has to be twenty other reps to other people before you can re-rep someone. I think it tells in the faqs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff