Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:08 PM

8 posts, read 23,716 times

Advertisements

hi guys, 1st post here.

my name is conall, and im a 21 year old student from ireland. although you may say its rediculously early to be discussing this i just wanted to get a general idea of peoples thoughts.

myself and a few friends are planning on moving to one of the aforementioned places for the summer of next year. we went to toronto this summer (because of the drinking age) but didnt manage to secure a job and didnt really like living in a huge city. had to return home after 6 weeks because of money issues.

what has been your experience of irish students coming out to your towns to gain employment for the summer? we were very well recieved in totonto and met alot of fun people.

where do you think of the above places would be a gd destination for us based on housing, cost of living, employment and general partying/fun.

cheers in advance for replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 01:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Because of the "employment" part of your question I would say that Ocean City would probably be your best bet. It is a larger area for finding your summer job employment. There is more to do there then the other two towns as it is larger.
Rehoboth is an interesting place but your job opportunities would be far less......
Dewey is a fun place for students in the summer, but you can get there easy enough by bus or car.
Dewey is not a large enough town for summer employment issues.
The cost for summer housing could be a tidy sum unless the employer supplies some sort of rooming for his employees.
But, with a little homework, Delaware could make for a very interesting summer vacation job.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM

445 posts, read 1,435,581 times
Ocean City. A large influx of Russian & Eastern European students/workers there in the summer.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Rehoboth and Dewey are side by side. With the many Hotels and restaurants catering to the vacationeer there is a need for foreign students to fill these jobs . These many years ago were filled by U.S. College students. Now days schools start before Labor Day and our students can not work the full season. There are church groups that provide much assistance and some meals for foreign students. Before the influx of Russian and eastern European students we used to get a lot of Irish. Since you speak (sort of) and can understand English that would be a hugh plus for many employers.
Housing is expensive the students usually share and apartment or house with a group.
Dewey is the "party town" it offers employment in itself and is easily accessable from Rehoboth.
You might be able to get some info from the Chamber of Commerce www.beach-fun.com .
Consider Lewes into the area for jobs around Rehoboth/Dewey.
There are also many opportunities in Ocean City. I am writing of this area because I live and work in this area.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Dang, if I were you I would be heading to the N.Carolina outer banks. A variety of summer jobs are available, Boats or Restaurants, or Motels, or.....business that deal with boats, restaurants or motels, it also helps that, for the most part, if you wished, you stand a really good chance of being able to catch your next meal.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 AM

16 posts, read 48,697 times
The others have said a lot already but I just want to point out...because of the weak economy, it is going to be much harder than normal to find jobs in any of these places. They definitely have more jobs available in the summer, but they're also a popular destination. In these economic times, a lot of jobs have been snatched up by slightly older people with more experience.

In terms of what they are like, they're very different. Ocean City has more of a party culture, I think. Rehoboth has a quirky (but somewhat touristy) small-town atmosphere, but still has a fun overall environment; it's my personal favorite of the three places. Dewey beach I don't find as interesting...I always think of it mainly as a little commercial strip just outside of Rehoboth. But Rehoboth and Dewey beach are right next door and are practically the same place. There's much more stuff in Ocean City but the main downside is that it's more congested. Rehoboth has less stuff, but is also less built out, and has more space, more nature, can be more peaceful.

It really depends what you want. Just...be wary that the employment situation may be worse this year than if you had talked to people who had been there 2 or 3 years back.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Dewey is THE party spot for college age crowd, other than that, not much going on there. Ocean City has it's share of young college age partiers as well however, Ocean City is more of a family destination than Dewey so, it's a mix. But, there are a lot of seaonal jobs in OC. Rehoboth is more low key and more expensive; a big spot for gay/lesbian folks, families, not as many young college types since Dewey is right up the highway and caters more to the party crowd. Your best bet for housing is probably Ocean City or even renting in Salisbury Md (30 miles from OC) and commuting back and forth. Salisbury University has a lot of college folks who stay for the summer and work in OC. Dewey is pretty much all vacation rentals, not a lot of long term rentals and Rehoboth and Bethany are way too expensive for college age folks to afford for the summer.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:42 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
Check out Wildwood NJ, plenty of Europeans there in the summer and it is a very fun beach.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:02 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
We use to own a home on the Asawoman Bay in Fenwick Island Delaware. Too bad for us because we would have loved to have it now. Bought it for $42k a lifetime ago and now the same homes are going for the mid $900s - 1.5mil + + +. Dewey Beach was the spot for gay/lesbians and high end homes. Fenwick is between OC Maryland and Dewey Beach.

The areas mentioned are in what is called the "triangle" of folks from Wash DC, Philly + NY during the summer months. We still discover a lot of vacationers from DC and therefore the prices are higher than one would expect.

Try and contact the Ocean City Chamger of Congress for job openings and suggestions.

Ocean City Maryland Chamber of Commerce, City Guide and Vacation Resources for Ocean City, Maryland (http://www.oceancity.org/employ.php - broken link)

Old 09-30-2010, 02:10 PM

348 posts, read 1,051,158 times
I warn that I notice that most Russian & Eastern European students/workers are working two jobs so I have not seen them partying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware