Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 11:07 PM

3 posts, read 19,267 times

Advertisements

Reading through a couple threads on the Delaware forum, I've seen numerous allusions to the "bad" public schools in Delaware. To me, it seems as though the consensus on the DE/PA debate for those relocating to jobs in Wilmington is that if one chooses DE, he better have the money saved up for Tower Hill.

I never understood this idea that schools such as Unionville or Kennett are so much better "educationally" than anything in Brandywine, Christina or Red Clay. How do you even measure something like that?

Can anyone fill me in? What is the general perception on this board for the "best/worst" schools in Delaware?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 AM

15 posts, read 69,053 times
Ok, according to public opinion which is pure politics a lot of people claim that schools like St. Marks,Ursuline,Salesianum,and the Charter School of Wilmington are good schools. Each school has its problems. No school is perfect. Delcastle has a nickname, and its called Drug Castle. Other schools such as Friends, WCS,and schools like that are really expensive to attend. The Charter School of Wilmington is one of the top 100 schools in the nation, according to what i read the other day which i find hard to believe. Kennett has a lot of good schools, because the influences of city culture just isn't there. In other words, there is very little crime up there. They aren't racist like some of the black people around here. What happened in the 1960s in Delaware was court ordered forced bussing. It caused riots in the city of wilmington back then. In other words, in Delaware, students were bussed to Wilmington from the suburbs,and students from Wilmington went to the Suburbs. Now, the people who dealt with it stayed. The other people who could afford to leave the state left, because they didn't want there kids to be around the people who live entirely by committing acts of crime. So, the really upward mobile people moved out of the state entirely.

The above is just some info. I don't hate this state. I'm just giving the truth.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:07 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,669,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy2299 View Post
back then. In other words, in Delaware, students were bussed to Wilmington from the suburbs,and students from Wilmington went to the Suburbs. Now, the people who dealt with it stayed. The other people who could afford to leave the state left, because they didn't want there kids to be around the people who live entirely by committing acts of crime. So, the really upward mobile people moved out of the state entirely.

The above is just some info. I don't hate this state. I'm just giving the truth.

You post are fair and factual in my opinon. Everyone is intitled to his or her opinion and not everyone will think a like.
thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 AM

6 posts, read 38,423 times
Personally, I think the Appoquinimink School District is one of the best in Delaware. It serves the Middletown, Odessa, Townsend, Bear, Summit, and Delaware City area and they've just built a brand new High School and a couple other schools to boot. Check it out.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:35 PM

19 posts, read 98,199 times
The Charter School of Wilmington is # 49 in the country - it is a public charter school - it is free to attend - it is very likely - per student - the best school in the state - the number of national merit finalists, test scores, college acceptances - long list - admission is somewhat selective " Yes it is a public school - but your child might not be happy here in this competitive environment" Very hih - 27% +/- Asian population - i.e. parents that are concerned about their kids education. If you can get in - it is the best - better than Tower Hill ( wouldn't be surprised if parents opted out of the $15,000+ tuition to get their smart kid into Charter, St Andrews, Tatnall, Sanford ( play basketball?) Wilmington Friends, Carvel ( Play football?) and the assortment of Catholic diocesan & private - Archmere( Joe Biden's first school of neglectful footnoting), St Marks, Salesianum (sic?) etc.... - girls - Ursuline & Padua

Old 12-17-2007, 06:34 AM

204 posts, read 845,621 times
Charter School of Wilmington is a great school!!! My daughter goes there. Students take classes based on their ability levels, not their grade levels. Each course has 3 phases, and students are placed in a phase based on their academic needs. The school's philosophy is to neither over challenge nor underchallenge any student. My 9th grader is in senior level math, highest phase. She'll be taking college level math next year. I seriously doubt she'd get the same quality of education in any other Delaware high school, including all the private schools, and Charter is free if you can get in.

Also, Red Clay has some wonderful schools: Brandywine Springs, Linden Hill, Heritage, HB Du Pont, AI Du Pont. Just choice your child to the school you want them to attend. Great system.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 44,159 times
Charter School of Wilmington is in Red Clay Consolidated School District. Red Clay is in the top 100th districts in the nation. It ranks 49th. Cab Calloway, Liden Hill and Hb Dupont are all the best schools in Red Clay. Stay away from Christina School District. Colonial School District is better, but not quite. Appoquinimk always has the highest DSTP scores. To me, Red Clay Consolidated School District and Appoquinmk School District, are the best in Delawre. You will have to asses to get into Red Clay, but you are abe to get into Appoquinmk without assesing.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 12,928 times
Charter school of Wilmington is selective not every student gets in, the Vo-tech schools are selctive and poor performing unmanagble students leave. This leaves Middletown High school as the Best "Free public school" in Delaware they accept all including providing special education services. Academically and extra curricula tops the list for MHS, as well as the AP courses offered.Many of MHS recent graduates are now attending Harvard, MIT, Cal-tech and Columbia.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 12,928 times
Default MHS the top free public school in Delaware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by one6ylady View Post
Personally, I think the Appoquinimink School District is one of the best in Delaware. It serves the Middletown, Odessa, Townsend, Bear, Summit, and Delaware City area and they've just built a brand new High School and a couple other schools to boot. Check it out.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 AM

48 posts, read 101,571 times
New Castle county? Please I'd like to know more besides the charter school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware