Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:53 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,342 times

Advertisements

I moved to the lower slower part of Delaware and love it here, however if you do not have some form of health insurance be it private Medicade or Medicare it may not be a good idea to relocate here.
In the process of getting a new set of doctors I found if you don't have some form of health insurance they don't want to treat you. I have told the doctors I would pay cash up front by check, credit card or even currency but the response was "we are not set up to take cash". It has been a fight to find the doctors I feel are good to treat me. Since I have 5 more years to be eligible for Medicare I'm thinking do I stay and continue the fight or move.
For those considering relocating this is the only drawback I have found. I have found the people of Delaware to be warm and friendly. I couldn't ask for better neighbors. I feel their taxation rates are reasonable and helpful to those retired.
If you have some form of health insurance I feel confident in saying you will love it here as I did until I came across this crazy little glich in the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:27 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Were you uninsured prior to your move? I am not trying to pry but rather wondering how you made it prior to your move. Did you allow your insurance to lapse due to circumstances, or have you been uninsured for a while? Only asking since that might play into your eligibility. Can you use a credit card? Are there pre existing conditions?

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 08-24-2012 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,757 times
]I thought the people’s republic of Delaware - where democrats rule- were supposed to have compassion and look after the un-insured etc ...... I mean that’s what your Joe Biden says. What happened there

Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 PM

No, I didn't let my insurance lapse COBRA is not available when a company closes down for any reason including bankruptcy. So my last day there was my last day of health insurance. I did contact the insurance company that my employer used as well as 3 other insurance companies however for someone my age the price was astronomical.
I can use a credit card but the response is "we are not set up to handle cash" using a credit card is considered cash as it is not an insurance claim.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:57 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
OK, I understand now. However, all may not be lost. Losing Cobra due to your situation is still a qualifying event and you may be able to pick up another policy. Here is a very helpful link. https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi...sid=NATIONAL+2 Good luck.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:02 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
PJ1252, I am sorry to hear this. Wow, they won't accept cash... that's crazy. However, people on welfare (Medicaid) can be treated without any problem, but not a paying person?? Uggg.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM

Believe me its the craziest thing I have every come across. What happened to that expression "in G-d we trust all others pay cash"
Thank for the link, I will take a look, thanks again everyone

Old 08-26-2012, 07:33 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
Believe me its the craziest thing I have every come across. What happened to that expression "in G-d we trust all others pay cash"
Thank for the link, I will take a look, thanks again everyone

Have you actually talked to the DOCTOR as opposed to the office staff? Let me tell you that most doctors will fall out of their chair for patients who 1) pay cash and 2) for whom there is no insurance company involved..

Several years ago, when between jobs, I negotiated a cash rate with all my doctors (even though I was covered by my wife's insurance). They did NOT have to do any of the paper filing - for which they were grateful.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
^^^^^good suggestion, jlawrence01. I sure do feel for this situation. I was without health insurance for over a year after my divorce many years ago, and it was awful. I'd get sick because of my allergies and couldn't afford to go to the doctor. I sure hope there is a doctor out there who can help you, PJ1252.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Try one of the medical aid units that you will find throughout the state. I have seen people in them without insurance. Just make sure that you ask for a doctor and not a nurse practitioner if you are really sick. All medical aid units have doctors on staff and on duty, some for part of the day and some for 24 hours.

I also agree about talking directly with a doctor and not the office staff. Your local pharmacist might be able to help in finding a doctor who will accept cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware