Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times

Advertisements

Here's a thread mentioning publications available in Delaware. I think it would be nice to add to these, as they come to mind. Could be helpful information for newcomers. I'm sure Longnecker and Beachliz have some to add. Here's a start:

Delaware Beach Life Magazine - a Kent and Sussex County favorite
Great magazine, focusing on beaches, and things to do in the two lower counties. They cover fishing, dining, recreation areas and things to do. Published 8 times/year.

Delaware Today - Known to be an upstate magazine, mostly found in doctor/dentist offices throughout the State. They have always focused on the north Brandywine/Greenville area, mansions and high end eating establishments. Lately, they've included dining in Rehoboth Beach/Lewes. Seldom, Kent County is covered.

CapeGazette - Really good newspaper - lots of beach news, local and farm community news, and sports. Good police reports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:11 AM

Here's another downstate favorite magazine -
OUTDOOR DELAWARE
Outdoor Delaware Magazine

Beautiful glossy photos, Bombay Hook, nature, historic sites, and hunting articles for those interested. You can read it on-line.

BTW, here's the link for DELAWARE BEACH LIFE magazine
http://www.delawarebeachlife.com/

Most newcomers think Delaware Today is our only magazine. These are other Delaware publications focusing on central and lower Delaware.

Last edited by rdlr; 04-06-2013 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: spell check, wrong link

Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Coastal Point is a good local paper down my way. They're right on top of things and very informative--also lots of updates on Facebook.

http://http://www.coastalpoint.com/content/about_us

I LOVE Outdoor Delaware! I've been a subscriber for three years now. The local pictures alone are breathtaking, and even as a lifelong Delawarean...it seems I learn/read something new every time I receive their latest magazine.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 AM

388 posts, read 998,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post

Delaware Today - Known to be an upstate magazine, mostly found in doctor/dentist offices throughout the State. They have always focused on the north Brandywine/Greenville area, mansions and high end eating establishments. Lately, they've included dining in Rehoboth Beach/Lewes. Seldom, Kent County is covered.
rdlr, I agree with you 100% on your take on Delaware Today magazine in that they focus mainly on New Castle Co and the beach areas. However your comment that Kent Co is seldom covered, particularly in the dining realm, is because.....there are so few restaurants worth mentioning in Kent Co! Many pages are devoted to NCCo and Sussex Co eateries but the list for Kent Co is barely more than what you would consider a long paragraph. The dining scene in Kent is very bleak with only a few bright spots. This is sad indeed for a state capital! My point in bringing this up is, not to take away from your fine listing of publications for all to consider, but rather to question why this sad state of dining in Kent Co even exists in the first place. Perhaps this could be a thread of its own???

Thank you for making a list of available publications. I encourage newcomers to look into the magazine of your choice. When I lived in faraway cold Maine, I eagerly devoured my Beach Life and online Cape Gazette info.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 AM

133 posts, read 249,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
Thank you for making a list of available publications. I encourage newcomers to look into the magazine of your choice. When I lived in faraway cold Maine, I eagerly devoured my Beach Life and online Cape Gazette info.
rdlr, Thank you for starting this thread! and Thank you everyone for input!! This is great for people like me that thinking about moving there! I am checking all out!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I LOVE Outdoor Delaware! I've been a subscriber for three years now. The local pictures alone are breathtaking, and even as a lifelong Delawarean...it seems I learn/read something new every time I receive their latest magazine.
I so agree, Beachliz! Outdoor Delaware is my favorite! Nothing else comes close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
rdlr, I agree with you 100% on your take on Delaware Today magazine in that they focus mainly on New Castle Co and the beach areas. However your comment that Kent Co is seldom covered, particularly in the dining realm, is because.....there are so few restaurants worth mentioning in Kent Co! Many pages are devoted to NCCo and Sussex Co eateries but the list for Kent Co is barely more than what you would consider a long paragraph. The dining scene in Kent is very bleak with only a few bright spots. This is sad indeed for a state capital! My point in bringing this up is, not to take away from your fine listing of publications for all to consider, but rather to question why this sad state of dining in Kent Co even exists in the first place. Perhaps this could be a thread of its own???
I think most newcomers think Delaware Today is our ONLY magazine; I see it referenced often as the magazine of choice. Truth be known, nobody I know subscribes to it. I was in a doctor's office last week and gave it another look......recipes for crispy asparagus, some upstate restaurants I couldn't afford or wouldn't want to visit, and some feature pieces on important people in Delaware I've never heard of.

Regarding Kent County lousy restaurants, you're probably right, and there was a thread started on that a couple years or so ago here on the Forum. I say "probably" because we reserve our 'eating out' to local, tried and true, seafood restaurants/taverns. They've been owned and operated for 30-40 years by "kids" we went to school with. We tend to enjoy JP's on the Wharf, The Boondocks, and Sambos. People come from all over to indulge in their freshly caught seafood. Otherwise, the area is void of really good restaurants. We've tried them all - 3 strikes and they're OUT! So, I stick with what I know....fresh Delaware seafood in Kent County.....off the boat, on the grill, and on the table.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
I hate to say it but with all the info on line I seldom pick up a hard copy of any thing. The Wave and Coast Press are freebies that I might pick up if the head line looks interesting as I walk past the free pile at the supermarket.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post

I think most newcomers think Delaware Today is our ONLY magazine; I see it referenced often as the magazine of choice. Truth be known, nobody I know subscribes to it. I was in a doctor's office last week and gave it another look......recipes for crispy asparagus, some upstate restaurants I couldn't afford or wouldn't want to visit, and some feature pieces on important people in Delaware I've never heard of.
Sounds about right!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I hate to say it but with all the info on line I seldom pick up a hard copy of any thing. The Wave and Coast Press are freebies that I might pick up if the head line looks interesting as I walk past the free pile at the supermarket.
I like Outdoor Delaware the best, but don't buy every publication. I love those freebies, too!

I was down to Long Neck last week, and it was booming! They've got some really good supermarkets, now! Can't believe how the strip centers have grown (between Sherwood Forest and the V.F.W.) And that V.F.W. is ALWAYS busy!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
Smile Thanks!

Thanks for the heads-up about the other publications. I did not know about some of them and the outdoor-oriented magazine has the sort of articles I like. I read the one on Yorklyn and found it interesting. When I was young, I thought history was very boring, now I love local history. In fact, I belong to our local historical society where we archive old photos, postcards and articles about our area. Our youngest member is about 60 and oldest is 90. If younger people don't get interested in local history, the group will disappear along with us. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware