Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:56 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I have never known anyone that got results from BBB in any state. Its more like a club since the business that participate do pay to be listed. What recourse are you talking about calling the company and complain to them. I'm sorry to say most companies really don't care once they have your money.

Several years ago my mom filed a BBB complaint against a contractor who did some work in her house in Newark. I remember sitting at her kitchen table (where part of the problem was) and discussing the situation with mom, the contractor, and the BBB inspector. As a result, shoddy workmanship was fixed at no cost.

It wasn't the perfect outcome, because frankly even the fix was not GREAT workmanship. But it was a lot better than what the contractor had originally done.

This goes back several year, so maybe BBB doesn't have the clout it used to. But we definitely felt that filing a complaint was the only reason the contractor came back to fix the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 04:45 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Several years ago my mom filed a BBB complaint against a contractor who did some work in her house in Newark. I remember sitting at her kitchen table (where part of the problem was) and discussing the situation with mom, the contractor, and the BBB inspector. As a result, shoddy workmanship was fixed at no cost.

It wasn't the perfect outcome, because frankly even the fix was not GREAT workmanship. But it was a lot better than what the contractor had originally done.

This goes back several year, so maybe BBB doesn't have the clout it used to. But we definitely felt that filing a complaint was the only reason the contractor came back to fix the problem.
Glad things worked out for you. However, had the contractor not been a member of the Better Business Bureau, they would not have helped you.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:57 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times
Well y'all takes this for what it's worth.

A while back we hired a contractor to do work on the house. He and his workers did the job but I just thought they did not pay attention to details since the job damaged other things besides what they were doing. Overall, dealing with them wasn't too pleasant.

So some things we learned:
-They were a personal referral from others who thought they were good. We had a different experience. Don't know why we got'em on their bad days.
-A check at the BBB site showed them with complaints. Unfortunately our bad. We took the referral at face value and never checked them out. Always time to go to 'school' again! ...;-)...
So really in our experience the BBB kind of told it all but we dropped the ball. It has it's place.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,364 times
As for the OP's question....

I was raised in Philly, PA...worked in DEL, now live/work in MD/DC......so I have shopped and worked in DEL. but never lived there.

The same complaints the OP mentioned that people have about DEL..... people in Maryland have about Maryland...and people in parts of PA, have about PA.

That said, don't a lot of people retire to DEL? So the state must have SOMETHING going for it. No sales tax and the beaches.

To me -- Delaware is like Iowa or Maine or Vermont....a slower pace state, that has some things to offer, but don't really have anything -- or -- enough for me to think about it much or move there....only Delaware is closer so I'm more familiar with it.

When I think DEL -- I think business incorporation, no sales tax, beaches.....and the horrible I-95 toll back up -- because it's the 'drive through state' I have to get through to go home to Philly. Other than that, what's to think about it?......it's a state like any other with pluses and minuses, the good and the bad.....

Last edited by rdflk; 06-13-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Other than that, what's to think about it?......it's a state like any other with
pluses and minuses, the good and the bad.....
That's it! Just like 'life at the ranch' anywhere we hang our hats ..;-)....

Old 06-13-2014, 04:52 PM

634 posts, read 896,882 times
I have seen this thread twice now and decided to reply because it got me thinking how little I hear about Delaware, I mean absolutely nothing good or bad, like it's not even on anybody's radar. I don't know if it's location is too much in the shadow of its neighboring states or what?

So to me it's neither, definitely no reason to hate it though.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 PM

373 posts, read 517,263 times
I agree with rdflk. I grew up in a country area adjoining a beautiful National Forest in Pennsylvania, and went to a high school with 35 kids in our graduating class. I've since lived in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Memphis, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, and Chicago. We've visited friends and family in Green Bay, Amarillo, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Orlando, St. Louis, Omaha, Washington, and many other places.

Each and every place has had great positives and some negatives.

Although we thoroughly enjoy the big city advantages of Chicago (especially the great theater, museums, restaurants, non-stop events, and beautiful bike paths), there are high taxes, sometimes brutal winters (e.g., this past one!), and non-stop traffic. When it came time to retire, we decided we wanted to be near an ocean, friendly people, four seasons but not bone-chilling winters, good restaurants, low taxes, and reasonable driving distance to a big city for when we yearned for the things a big city offers. For us, the beach areas of Delaware are perfect, and we couldn't be happier with our decision.

Everyone has to decide what works best for them and their personal lifestyle (and life stage!). Doubt my Millennial kids would appreciate the Lewes area the way we do, so they will no doubt stay in more urban areas for now. But who knows what they will enjoy 40 years from now?

So I respect everyone's opinion about their likes and dislikes. If everyone loved everything about a place, imagine how horrible that would be (picture 200 million people trying to cram into Hawaii!).

As the old motorcycle ad said, "Different strokes for different folks"!

Last edited by EnjoyEveryDay; 06-13-2014 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Fixing typos

Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
Everyone has to decide what works best for them and their personal lifestyle (and life stage!). Doubt my Millennial kids would appreciate the Lewes area the way we do, so they will no doubt stay in more urban areas for now. But who knows what they will enjoy 40 years from now?
I think it has a lot to do with what you are used to. My young adult son and his wife both of whom were born and raised here can not wait to get back if they visit someone in the Philadelphia area.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 PM

Re:....'alot to do with what you are used to'.

You know come to think of it you're onto something there. We noticed that we seem to lean to places that sort of have the ambiance of what we like where we live plus offering something different too. Have to say the 'shore' has its attractions when you've lived in that kind of environment for awhile.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:50 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,484 times
Low taxes,mellower people,open spaces...crime and junk is kind of expected in the more populated cities,and I saw it coming from Philly way back so it's not really that surprising to me;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware