Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:03 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c65 View Post

and it appears that my guess was right none of you have spent more than a day in the city !
Interesting.

I remember when Franklin Street was the hub of the Polish Neighborhood. A few blocks over was the Italian Neighborhood. The Catholic priests would promenade through the neighborhood sprinkling holy water on front porches as they walked by......The city was safe, there was laughter, children playing outside ...... never mind ......
I spent more than a day in Wilmington.

Now it's all rat-a-tat-tat.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 12:04 PM
c65 c65 started this thread

17 posts, read 23,944 times
yes 20 deaths a year . 19 of which were drug dealers.. o0o0o0o0o so scary

Old 11-02-2014, 12:09 PM

$100 million dollar Union Street redevelopment announced already inphase 1

Flats Redevelopment | Woodlawn Trustees

Old 11-02-2014, 12:10 PM

a separate $100 mil+ 6 story building 1 block off market street

http://www.bpgroup.net/midtown-park.htm

I can continue showing you guys the billions being spent here with these links. literally 1 billion + this year alone.

let the naysayng continue tho gives me time to scoop up the cheap properties :-)

time is all the city needs. You will all see in time.

Last edited by c65; 11-02-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
a separate $100 mil+ 6 story building 1 block off market street

The Buccini/Pollin Group, Inc. -

I can continue showing you guys the billions being spent here with these links. literally 1 billion + this year alone.

let the naysayng continue tho gives me time to scoop up the cheap properties :-)

time is all the city needs. You will all see in time.
I am a transplant here of a year and a half and I know virtually jack diddly about Wilmington. That said, I am originally from Long Island and I can point you to several CD threads on L.I. that support the opposing opinion. Often times but not always, as the old saying goes you can dress 'em up but you can't take 'em out. Meaning that what plagues the city or town, is not cured by an improvement. It is much more deeply rooted in crime. drugs, poverty. etc. A perfect example, not too far from home is in Baltimore. The Inner Harbor is now quite lovely but just outside is not such a pretty sight.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:06 PM

coming from long island you must know what the once crime ridden communites of NYC are going through then ?

no one can afford harlem anymore buddy! the old original residents are complaining! google "harlem gentrification" and ull see just how big of a deal it is

I just dont see how a long islander can say this after what has happdned in NYC over the last 10 years!

I know exactly what area you mean in bmore . fed hill and the stadium .... very divided. do you think that wall will be there forever ? fed hill homes 500k. 5 blocks over they are 100....

TIME is all we need

Last edited by c65; 11-02-2014 at 03:03 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 02:10 PM

opposing opinion - so these developments will have absolutely no effect on the city or delaware?

what are you all smoking

I want some

Old 11-02-2014, 02:14 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
I'm in the City almost daily, though I live outside the city limits.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
coming from long island you must know what the once crime ridden communites of NYC are going through then ?

no one can afford harlem anymore buddy! the old original residents are complaining! google "harlem gentrification" and ull see just how big of a deal it is

I just dont see how a long islander can say this after what has happdned in NYC over the last 10 years!

I know exactly what area you mean in bmore . fed hill and the stadium .... very divided. do you think that wall will be there forever ? fed hill homes 500k. 5 blocks over they are 100....

TIME is all we need
I am afraid that you view at least of NYC is a bit myopic. Yes 42nd street and Bryant park area is now a major tourist spot and quite lovely. I worked for over 20 years in NYC and walked "around" that area as it was a place that no good would ever come even during the day.

NY is a totally different ballgame than Wilmington however. Number 1, the sheer numbers that needed housing is what initially prompted the "revitalization" effort. The poor and indigent are still there, as are the drugs, but they are now moved. I could tell you the story of how the police and the former mayors fought each other on this and other projects and now they are falling over themselves to take the credit. Is it cleaned up? Without a doubt, but the state, city, legislators, private funding, police and theater owners to name just a few all worked together to get this accomplished. Each entity had to put the egos behind steel doors and work for the common good. Deal with the gritty problems, one by one, then ten by ten and hundred by a hundred. There are still poor but they have also received a lot of help by area churches, synagogues and social service organizations. You speak about Harlem, and that is the same story, Ditto for Greenpoint and Williamsburg in Brooklyn.

My point is being missed by you. You can buy up all the property you want and can afford but there needs to be a unified vision or else this will never, never end the way you think it will. Based upon what I have read, and also heard from some friends who are connected to UD, your vision is not going to happen any time soon. Perhaps you are a patient person but, I think it is going to be a long time before your dream is a reality. You are not only fighting the actual reality of the situation but also the perception. Perceptions can be as hard if not harder to change than reality.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:45 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:
things take time people. without a doubt over 95% of the shootings are between people we probably dont want here anyway. more people died in one weekend in chicago than wilmington over a whole year.

you guys act like pedestrians are targets for shooting practice. The crime is between thugs . its not gangs verse the people.

and it appears that my guess was right none of you have spent more than a day in the city !
I spent more time in Wilmington in the past five years than you have your entire life. Everything you have said has been done, "the Riverfront will fix the city", " renovating the Delaware trust building will revitalize the city", "Wilmington is on the brink of success"..

It's all been said for the 18 years that I've lived here and nothing's changed and nothing will until the people living in the city want to change. Go check out some of the finer neighborhoods in east Wilmington near North East Blvd and tell me why so many homes that are less than than 10 years old are destroyed and boarded up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware