Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 14,668 times

Advertisements

On another thread Elizamary mentioned that there are a lot of small communities near her with lakes. That is what I'm looking for. What are the names of these communities and where are they located?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
Hello ralgam.........
Lakes are all over DE. I can't think of the names of them but lakes are just about in every town.
I went looking for the thread but forgot where I posted that.
Some of our residents have boats and they really do enjoy going out on the lakes in the summer. I never have but would love to be invited this year
Are you planing to move to DE? If so, what are you looking for.
I will have to say Kent county is a great place to live. We are in a rural setting only about 35 mins fromt he beach,
Anything else we can help you with just let us know.
Maybe one of our knowledgable regulars will jump in.
[

Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 AM

4 posts, read 14,668 times
Hi Elizamary,
Thanks so much for your offer to help. Yes, we are thinking of moving to DE. I like that there is so much seashore, but I fear the cost of insurance if we were on the seacoast. So I'd like a home on a lake. But when I look at a map of DE, I don't see many lakes. Red Mill Pond is an interesting area. Do you know much about that?

Old 01-26-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralgam View Post
Hi Elizamary,
Thanks so much for your offer to help. Yes, we are thinking of moving to DE. I like that there is so much seashore, but I fear the cost of insurance if we were on the seacoast. So I'd like a home on a lake. But when I look at a map of DE, I don't see many lakes. Red Mill Pond is an interesting area. Do you know much about that?
HI...........Insurance in Sussex county may be a tad high but not in Kent county.
We live in Magnolia which is only 35 mins from the beach.
There are a ton of lakes or ponds around. I have seen them in my travels.
My neighbors tell me they try them all.
Ponds are all over Kent and Sussex county.
I can't think of the names of the ponds right now but I do know there are many.
There are so many little towns such as magnolia, Camden, Felton, Milford, star hill, Milford and so many others that are really small little wonders to live
My suggestion is to find a DE realtor to help you find your home on the lake.
WE have small ponds in my community where some homes are situated.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:17 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,046,835 times
Well, Nobles Pond will have a pond

Charley

Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 AM

957 posts, read 3,700,775 times
There are not many lakes. Actually there are none that I would consider lakes. There are lots of ponds. If you're looking for a place to do some family boating, other than canoing/kayaking, the ocean is the place to be. You'll find that most of the inland ponds are not big/deep enough to use a powerboat of any significant size and some prohibit any type of power boat. I've used an everglades air boat in some of the inland ponds. It's kind of like playing in the bath tub. I think you'll find that just about everyone who has a boat on a trailer in the driveway goes to the ocean. Depending on where in the state you are, either the ocean or the Chesapeake Bay are not far.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:35 AM

957 posts, read 3,700,775 times
Insurance on the coast is not bad for some reason. DE must not be a natural disaster hot spot. Car insurance is very high but homeowners is quite reasonable, even when the house is 30 feet from the bay.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post

Charley
Gee, I'm surprised charley

Our ponds are going to be stocked pretty soon. should be interesting to see the guys fishing.
I think they can fish but have to throw them back.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
Insurance on the coast is not bad for some reason. DE must not be a natural disaster hot spot. Car insurance is very high but homeowners is quite reasonable, even when the house is 30 feet from the bay.
Car insurance is relative to the area from which you are relocating. My car insurance will be approximately 65% of what it currently is in New York.

Charley

Old 01-26-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post

Charley
There is also Silver Lake in Dover. We've visited Silver Lake park a few times in our trips and we like it. It is very well kept. I went to use one of the "Porta-potties" in December and it was obviously recently cleaned and restocked. That's always a good sign.

The walking paths are very nice as is the lake itself.

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware