Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:34 PM

439 posts, read 425,769 times

Advertisements

We are beginning our search for a retirement home. We're looking at a community that does not have a ton of amenities. We don't really need a golf course community. It would be nice to have a pool and a small clubhouse. We saw one called Bayview landing in Selbyville Delaware. Anyone familiar with it? We're trying to find something with a larger population of year-round residents versus rental properties in the Bethany Rehobeth area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
We saw one called Bayview landing in Selbyville Delaware. Anyone familiar with it? We're trying to find something with a larger population of year-round residents versus rental properties in the Bethany Rehobeth area.
The listings in Bayview Landing are very attractive. I saw only two townhouses show up in seasonal rental sites. Compared to the 6-10 "for sale" listings, the 2 rental listings seem like a small number that would not detract from the community.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:43 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,548 times
Good luck finding a community with more year-round versus rental/weekender properties east of route 113, although I'm right there with you and certainly understand why. Some insight: We moved to Ocean View in 2002 from Lewes. We moved into a retirement community that was about seventy percent year-round homeowners at the time, most of them retired. LOVED this even though we were only in our late 20's at the time...we are simple, quiet people and wanted to live in peace which we accomplished. There were only a couple rentals and some weekender homes at that time. Oh, how things have changed since then. Now, our community is only about 35-40 percent year-round homeowners. The rest are weekenders and renters. I still have great neighbors (whether full-time or weekenders) on all sides of me except for one which is a middle-aged couple (around my age) from upstate. They think they are college kids again living in Dewey Beach. They are horribly obnoxious and the cops have been there many times for their loud, drunken parties. Certain types of weekenders can be pretty annoying--they think it's the wild, wild west and they can act as such.
Now, for some reason we only have one rental on my entire street (no issues with them), but the next street over is loaded with them and they have been problematic. My point being--things can change drastically over the years, especially in an older community. Definitely scope out a home all times of the day and especially at night so you don't wind up with somebody like my neighbors next door. Another word of advice: ask to see the HOA by-laws and see if they have rules for renters. As stated, we have had issues with renters in here and the HOA had the by-laws changed to state that everyone living in a home must be related and only x number of people according to number of bedrooms. Every renter must now have a background check as well--no felons or class A misdemeanors. Something you'll see at the beach is a bunch of under 30-somethings crammed in a home because this is a high rent area. They can be a handful at times depending on who is in there. I see A LOT of this in a neighboring community and I am glad I don't live in there.
Hope my advice helps you out!! Best of luck!!

Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM

Thanks to both of you. It's a tough decision. After searching we've narrowed it down to Florida or Delaware. The rental situation is something that were concerned about in both areas. It would be wonderful to find a community that did not allow renting but I don't think that will be possible in these two areas. Thank you beachliz for the tip about the HOA we definitely will do that. We're visiting in September for a week so we hope to tour a few communities.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:29 PM

You're welcome. We are moving to southwest Florida in six years when my husband retires. Please let me know if you ever find a community that does not allow renting. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2016, 09:05 PM

374 posts, read 517,694 times
We retired to Lewes, which I realize is not in your search area. However, wanted to let you know that although our community is about 50% full-time residents and 50% second home owners (i.e., mostly summer weekend residents), we have very few renters. That is because our HOA by-laws do not allow rentals unless they are for a minimum of one year.

I bring this up because I would assume that there are other communities with similar requirements. Good luck in your search!

Old 08-15-2016, 11:35 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
You're welcome. We are moving to southwest Florida in six years when my husband retires. Please let me know if you ever find a community that does not allow renting. Good luck!
While I don't recommend buying a home on leased ground Pot Nets does not allow renters.. Of course we have a lot of visitors with 5 or 6 cars in the driveways on weekends.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
We retired to Lewes, which I realize is not in your search area. However, wanted to let you know that although our community is about 50% full-time residents and 50% second home owners (i.e., mostly summer weekend residents), we have very few renters. That is because our HOA by-laws do not allow rentals unless they are for a minimum of one year.

I bring this up because I would assume that there are other communities with similar requirements. Good luck in your search!
Thanks so much for your input. Lewes is actually not out of the search area. Any suggestions for a few nice communities to visit? Looking for something between 250,000 and 300,000.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:08 AM

Longnecker--five/six cars in the driveway sounds like some of our renters and weekend homeowners. Sounds JUST like the weekend homeowner next door from upstate. I am running far, far away if I see anything like that when we search for our next home!!

I wish our HOA would limit our renters to just year leases only like EnjoyEveryDay's community. The background check was supposed to be something that would dissuade homeowners from doing weekly rentals, but what's been happening is the renters are sneaking people in who cannot pass/will not take the background check and the homeowner doesn't care. It's a constant battle.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:16 AM

Elizabeth--check out Sandy Brae in Lewes which is just west of route one on Plantation Road. Very nice community, many retirees and homeowners. Well, at least it was that way back when I lived in Lewes and had a friend who lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware