Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:00 PM

15 posts, read 15,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
AS I have said many times zip codes do bare the name of a town but coverr a much larger area.I live in the Millsboro zip code and it would take me 1/2 hour to get to the town of Millsboro. That said I have 3 supermarkets with in a 10 minute ride. My area is closest in the zip code to the beach. Driving with in the speed limit from my driveway I could not get to an Ocean Beach within 20 minutes at any time of the year.
Very helpful info. I had used Millsboro as sort of a yardstick in Google Maps to see how long it would take to get to a beach, and figuring that houses might be cheaper not as close to the water. Compromises!

Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYers2DE View Post
Check out Lewes. Convenient to Rte 1 for shopping and restaurants, and a quick drive (when traffic is light) to Lewes and Rehoboth Beaches. Also a quick ride to Cape Henlopen State Park. So beautiful there! Look at Milton too if you want to be in an area less developed but still close to the beaches. Lewes and Milton are about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Toms River.

I've heard/read nothing but good things about Lewes. I even took out a library book on travel in the area, and there was a photo of a fantastic museum that looked like the building was transported brick by brick from The Netherlands!

I see that there are some communities just west of Lewes going up; one by KHOV, who I've heard of and assume are decent builders.

My wife and I actually lived near Toms River, NJ from 2006 to 2007 when I got my "dream job." Well, you know how dreams sometimes turn out. So I know what beach traffic can be like. There are more roads, beaches, and people in NJ, so maybe the summer traffic in DE ends up being similar, just on a smaller scale? Or is there just not the roads and infrastructure to handle the mass migration?

Peter

Last edited by flickfive; 02-26-2017 at 09:16 PM..

Old 02-26-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

If one of you natives can help an almost 4 year'er out, I would be most appreciative. Was there a contest way back when to name as many places with an "M" that you could? Millsboro, Milford & Milton, I can't get them straight other than I know that the Old Bank in Millsboro is now a bar, Peppers Greenhouse is in Milton, Odd Job is in Milford. I mean no slight on them but those are my compass marks. I am paralyzed when someone say one of the "M's to me and then I always have to ask about the above to get them straight.

LOL!! I thought the exact same thing! It's not that big a state; I don't think they had to worry about running out of letters!

Peter

Old 02-26-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Hi flickfive!

Millsboro has many stores on route 113--BJ's, Weis, drug stores, Dunkin', and a few fast food and casual restaurants. You won't have to drive very far for basic necessities if you live near route 113.

Same goes for Ocean View--the area is so built up now that anyone's need for groceries, rx, doctors, booze, mattresses, and many other things are within a short drive. I live within a mile's drive of two grocery stores, a bank, a liquor store, take-out food, and other amenities. Drive another mile and there's another boatload of stores. My biggest complaint is there is no Wal Mart or Target and I have to drive in heavy traffic to get to either, but I guess one cannot have it all.

Lewes/Rehoboth area--has every store imaginable.....well, maybe that's an exaggeration but there is much to offer. Oh, and most of Lewes, Rehoboth, and OV have central water and sewer. Millsboro has more wells and septic.

As far as wanting quiet....I wish you luck. It was very quiet when I moved to OV back in 2002, but endless housing construction, a huge increase in rentals, and loud, partying weekenders put a damper on that awhile ago. My advice is to be leery of renters and weekenders regardless of age unless they are elderly. We have a weekender from upstate next door--in their 40's with a school age child--who get drunk/high when they come down, party like they're in a frat house (with kid present), and I'd like to send off into outer space.

Thank you for the helpful reply, liz. I did check Mapquest just from Milton to Rehoboth, and saw plenty of grocery stores: Stop and Shop, Food Lion, etc. Seems like no problem there.

I can see how it would be nice to live in Ocean View, although I'm sorry to hear that your immediate vicinity isn't as tranquil as it once was. One thing I do worry about in any "resort" area is the possibility of rentals. Perhaps that would be one plus for living in a 55+ community--no rentals?

Peter

Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFitz381 View Post
Hi there!

If you want to live within 20 minutes of the beach, I would suggest living at the beach. Millsboro is a cute and quaint little town, but in the middle of the summer is a traffic nightmare. With tourists using their GPS even the back roads get crowded.

Like the suggestions above, I would recommend Lewes/Rehoboth. Both are nice, offer ample shopping and more grocery store choices than living inland. Rehoboth just got a Fresh Market last summer which you will appreciate, being from NY, I imagine. I grew up in Sussex County but currently live in Kent, your guess is correct; Milford is right on the Sussex/Kent line and is about 40 minutes from Rehoboth beaches....with no traffic.

Lewes is really very nice with lots of local shops and an adorable downtown area with places to eat. Rehoboth is just south and offers a little more shopping but is also busier and tends to be crowded during the summer. Bethany Beach is another area you may enjoy. Family oriented, small beach boardwalk and is a little less hectic than Rehoboth or Dewey. Dewey has lots of bars and nightlife.

Now - if beach living is just not an option then you could look a little east of Millsboro in Longneck. Milford and Milton are also other areas that are slowly growing. The highways are currently being improved(exit ramps being built and removal of some traffic lights) along route 1 just north of Milford and it should help the traffic problem immensely. I commuted for a very short time from Dover to Millsboro and during the summer it would take me TWO HOURS to get home from work, a drive that normally takes an hour. I decided to just move to Dover and not deal with the beach traffic.

Harbeson is right outside of Rehoboth and would take you approximately 10 or so minutes to get to a grocery store(depending on where you live) but they do have a Harris Teeter and a Giant in Longneck.

If you can afford beach living, then I would suggest Lewes, Rehoboth or Bethany Beach as my top suggestions. If you don't want to be right in the mix, then look outside of Milford, Milton, Millsboro, Longneck or Ocean View.

Cape Henlopen is such a nice beach to visit and does not get quite as crowded during the summer. Buy a season pass once you get your Delaware tags. I would recommend coming down both during the summer and then in the off season(say January/February) to get a feel of how different the seasons will be with traffic and without it.

If you are a church goer, try to check out Sussex County Bible in Harbeson. I cannot say enough good things about the teaching, the leadership and the people that go there.

This reply was much longer than I anticipated, hopefully you did not fall asleep! Best of luck as you look to possibly move![CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Ha! I certainly did not fall asleep, although it's getting close to that time. This is all good information. If we end up coming and can afford it, I think Lewes/Rehoboth would be a perfect area. And thank you for the road improvement info for the area. I think that will play a large part in our decision.

Peter

Old 02-26-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Lewes Beach= bay. Nice, clean beach.
Cape Henlopen = bay is only by the fishing pier. Rest of the park is ocean.
And I've read several posts that this is a perfect compromise for many people: the Lewes Beach has somewhat calmer water but still has some waves; and I did not realize that Cape Henlopen had some ocean beaches! Great news!

Peter

Old 02-27-2017, 05:59 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
RE: rentals. There are few communities in this area that I am aware of that ban all rentals. Many do have a long term requirement. My own community does not have a long-term requirement but our rentals, thankfully, are no trouble at all. We did have a single home that was a problem on a couple of occasions, but the board did a fabulous job in rectifying that.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:53 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Just my opinion but I don't see buying into a 55+ community as any great benefit. The whole area is being driven by retirees. There are very limited opportunities in terms of career employment in these areas so it's not an option for many young families.

From what I see, most of homes in these new communities are being purchased by retirees anyway. I've lived on the Jersey Shore and am familiar with summer beach traffic. I bought a second home on Ocean View about 8 years ago and then bought a primary residence when I moved here full time 2 years ago. We looked from Lewes to Fenwick. We settled on the Bethany/Ocean View area because it's quieter and less crowded than the Lewes/Rehoboth area. We like the amenities offered in Rehoboth/Lewes but it's 10-15 minutes away. As retirees, we don't mind that short drive along the ocean to get there to take advantage of shopping but then leave the Route 1 congestion behind when returning home. Just my take.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Just my opinion but I don't see buying into a 55+ community as any great benefit. The whole area is being driven by retirees. There are very limited opportunities in terms of career employment in these areas so it's not an option for many young families.

From what I see, most of homes in these new communities are being purchased by retirees anyway. I've lived on the Jersey Shore and am familiar with summer beach traffic. I bought a second home on Ocean View about 8 years ago and then bought a primary residence when I moved here full time 2 years ago. We looked from Lewes to Fenwick. We settled on the Bethany/Ocean View area because it's quieter and less crowded than the Lewes/Rehoboth area. We like the amenities offered in Rehoboth/Lewes but it's 10-15 minutes away. As retirees, we don't mind that short drive along the ocean to get there to take advantage of shopping but then leave the Route 1 congestion behind when returning home. Just my take.
Just to add something to the mix. While for me, Ocean View is still too quiet in the winter, it is far and away much less so than when we started to look in 2010/11. The same is true of Lewes, much busier than when we looked. When we looked you had to come to Rt.1 to buy groceries (from a large grocer), and now there is a brand new shopping center at 5 points with a Weis, (formerly Food Lion).

I think one has to know what they are seeking, what makes one's wants vs. needs list and to always, always factor in that the vacant lot that is now filled with trees next to the property you are looking at could become a townhouse down the road. It is always a good idea to ask about any vacant area surrounding a home or plot you are considering. Find out if it is protected land or if it could be rezoned commercial if the owner so chooses. It may also be a buildable residential lot. In other words, don't fall in love with a home or plot without checking out what "might" come in down the road.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:04 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
When looking at development west of Rt1 in the Rehoboth/Lewes area one should look at the "main "east west roads.Rt 24 which serves the area from RT 1 to Millsboro is 2 lane with no immediate plans to widen.There are times now when it gets heavy off season.Some of the nice developments have been built on lovely 2 winding lane roads. Just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware