Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times

Advertisements

Of course, every city and every State has negatives and positives. However, sometimes an area has people on the board that live in total denial of any negatives at all. Everything is not all rosy in any area anywhere, and, by being aware of the negatives, it clues the person seeking a place they can tolerate into what to be aware of. Does that answer it?
Humidity and traffic, to me, are tolerable, but may not be to some. I look at humidity as great for the skin, but that may be just me. At least, I will look better in humidity that my skin does when it is so darn cold and dry out. I tend to look ancient then, so I vote for humidity.
Traffic...give me a couple great cd's and I can tolerate it.
Honest feedback could save me thousands of dollars looking into an area that I would be miserable living in. This board, however, has many less people than, say, Texas where everyone is moving to it seems. Feedback seems slower here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 06:52 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Of course, every city and every State has negatives and positives. However, sometimes an area has people on the board that live in total denial of any negatives at all. Everything is not all rosy in any area anywhere, and, by being aware of the negatives, it clues the person seeking a place they can tolerate into what to be aware of. Does that answer it?
Humidity and traffic, to me, are tolerable, but may not be to some. I look at humidity as great for the skin, but that may be just me. At least, I will look better in humidity that my skin does when it is so darn cold and dry out. I tend to look ancient then, so I vote for humidity.
Honest feedback could save me thousands of dollars looking into an area that I would be miserable living in. This board, however, has many less people than, say, Texas where everyone is moving to it seems. Feedback seems slower here.

I have an idea, why not visit and see for yourself. Everyone can tell you it is great and you may hate it.
With such a big move, I would go by more than hearsay. Before we moved here, we visited 4 or 5 times. I did research on DE and asked a zillion and one questions then I made up MY OWN MIND.

Also, I don't see where anyone is giving you less than honest feedback

Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Texas is becoming the most populated.
here is the link
Sun Belt is growth hotspot - Life - MSNBC.com

Old 03-27-2008, 07:21 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
I have an idea, why not visit and see for yourself. Also, I don't see where anyone is giving you less than honest feedback
I agree. I've been visiting Delaware now three or four times a year, each visit coming at a different time of year so that I can experience as much as I can experience.

My frame of reference for comparison is New York and so far, every aspect of potential life in Delaware either meets or exceeds life in New York. That's not rose-colored glasses or less than honest feedback. That's the way I see it. If I didn't see Delaware as a clearly better choice, for me, then I wouldn't plan on moving down.

We had a list of over a dozen potential states from which we wanted to choose. We did our research, made our visits and selected what we think is a clear winner. But it's not for everyone. For my wife and me, at our age and stage in life, this is our choice.

I don't know if that helps at all, but it's 100% open, honest feedback.

Charley

Old 03-27-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I agree. I've been visiting Delaware now three or four times a year, each visit coming at a different time of year so that I can experience as much as I can experience.

My frame of reference for comparison is New York and so far, every aspect of potential life in Delaware either meets or exceeds life in New York. That's not rose-colored glasses or less than honest feedback. That's the way I see it. If I didn't see Delaware as a clearly better choice, for me, then I wouldn't plan on moving down.

We had a list of over a dozen potential states from which we wanted to choose. We did our research, made our visits and selected what we think is a clear winner. But it's not for everyone. For my wife and me, at our age and stage in life, this is our choice.

I don't know if that helps at all, but it's 100% open, honest feedback.

Charley

After all charley, if you honestly didn't like DE, why would you be so anxious to move here?
I believe 100% that your feedback is 99 and 1% pure just like Ivory soap.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:02 PM

I didn't say--or even imply--that people on this Delaware board were giving less than honest feedback. I said that this board moves slower than many. Reread the post, please. There is NO reason for this as there was no insult meant to the people on this Delaware board at all.
The people who are posting on this board are, obviously, interested in relocating to Delaware. Obviously, something about Delaware is enticing to them.
And, yes, visiting is the best way to see for yourself the wonders of Delaware; and I plan to be among those visitors just so soon as I can to see Delaware for myself. In the interim, I have to ask questions of those who live there now as I can't get there just yet, unfortunately. Many of us are in the same shoes, I think.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
I took the sentences "However, sometimes an area has people on the board that live in total denial of any negatives at all." and "Honest feedback could save me thousands of dollars ..." and reached the wrong conclusion. I'm sorry that I misunderstood your meaning.

Charley

Old 03-27-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I didn't say--or even imply--that people on this Delaware board were giving less than honest feedback. I said that this board moves slower than many. Reread the post, please. There is NO reason for this as there was no insult meant to the people on this Delaware board at all.
The people who are posting on this board are, obviously, interested in relocating to Delaware. Obviously, something about Delaware is enticing to them.
And, yes, visiting is the best way to see for yourself the wonders of Delaware; and I plan to be among those visitors just so soon as I can to see Delaware for myself. In the interim, I have to ask questions of those who live there now as I can't get there just yet, unfortunately. Many of us are in the same shoes, I think.
Tootsie, DE is a small state and I supposed compared to other states, the DE board is not as crowded. But believe me, we are a friendly group and are willing to answer any questions you have about DE.

After you see for yourself, you will be able to determine the negatives based on what you are looking for.
I liked the food stores better back in Philly and the scenary in PA was so much prettier.
But
Everything else out weights the negatives. The people are friendly, cost of living cheaper and we are near the beach.
So ask away. There are a few of us on this board that would be more than happy to help you out.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:28 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
IThe people who are posting on this board are, obviously, interested in relocating to Delaware. ............ Many of us are in the same shoes, I think.
Not me, Not me!
I'm not in the same shoes! I've been in Delaware a lifetime. Ask away!

Old 03-27-2008, 04:29 PM

Great...now we understand each other.
You cannot beat Delaware for taxes, and closeness to major metros with lots of very exciting things to do--even if you do have to drive one or two hours.
I would like to know what the restaurant scene is like in Wilmington vs. Newark.
Since I am interested in going to Philly and DC pretty regularly, I have come to conclusion that the northern area is my best bet; but, being a foodie, I wonder if there is a good supply of mom and pop cheap and fantastic restaurants there?
Chicago has a ton, and you could eat for less than $15 for dinner at a different great restaurant there every day of the year; Houston is all franchises, and the great restaurants there tend toward $25 and up--and I don't want to spend that much daily. I eat out ALOT, so this is important to me.
Care to comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware