Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 12:30 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

Well it has been a swift 3 years and our class needs renewal. We generally have taken the AARP classes at the Senior center but I will not go inside now so it will have to be online. I see the state offers their own online classes and they are cheaper than the AARP course even as a member. Has anyone taken the state offered online class? IF so, any feedback is much appreciated. I figure they are probably pretty similar but it doesn't hurt to ask. Thankfully, for the both of us we do not need any point reductions so it is for the discount and the brush up can't hurt either.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 04:11 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
I use the on-line America Safety Council course approved by the DE DMV and it is just $12.95. A 3yr refresher course is just 3 hours long. (The initial course is 6 hours long and I recommend you do it over a two day period.) The only downside to the on-line course is that if you are a fast reader you have to wait the required amount of time before it allows you can go to the next page and continue reading. The quiz after each section is not difficult if you have read the material.

I have never done the in person course at the senior center, so can't say how it compares.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:33 PM

374 posts, read 517,420 times
Nuts, let me know which you settle on and what your experience was. I have never taken one of these refresher courses although it usually appears on my list of New Year's Resolutions and lasts as long as my diet. Will check with my insurance company to see if they have a specific requirement, and can also look into Mary's reco.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:53 PM

We have done the in-person twice at the local Senior Center. I personally enjoy the class, but if you get a dry teacher it can be brutal. I am aware of the other classes that are offered and they honestly don't make a class that online is as good as in person in my opinion, but I have to go the online route. I took the ASC course in person in NY and that happened to be the brutal teacher, but honestly online I will probably go that route if it is the cheapest.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:14 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
Nuts, let me know which you settle on and what your experience was. I have never taken one of these refresher courses although it usually appears on my list of New Year's Resolutions and lasts as long as my diet. Will check with my insurance company to see if they have a specific requirement, and can also look into Mary's reco.
If you have never taken a driver refresher course, the first time it is a total of 6 hours (six sections as I recall) and an online quiz after each section. All drivers in your household have to take the test to qualify for a discount on your car insurance. For 3 years you get a 10 percent discount off of the basic car insurance. You send the completed test certificates to your car insurance agent to get the discount applied to your policy. After 3 years you take a shorter 3 hour on- line test and then you qualify for another 3 years with a discount of 15%.

I recommend if you are doing the 6 hour test that you break it up into doing 3 or 4 sections on one day and completing the remaining sections on the next day. The last section is particularly long and after 6 hours in front of a computer without a break is just too long. Much easier to break it into completing it over 2 days.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
So we decided to go with the Senior Driving Discount of America program for $12.95.

It is one of the De. DMV approved courses. Since we have done these for over 20 years now and have always chosen the in-person classes, this was our first online course. This was a refresher class too, so 3 hours.

It was just OK. Now to be very honest, we both have clean licenses - no points, so other than a discount and a refresher we decided to go with the cheapest one -as it would give us the same end result. I prefer the in-person one.

My problem with this one and it is a US based program, was that there were references to kilometers on this and at times in the video the cars were driving on the "wrong" side. The speakers, at times were with British or Australian accents (makes me swoon). None of the above are a big deal but not something I would recommend if one has the choice.

I also note that there was one total inaccuracy regarding bikes not being permitted in traffic lanes, which is clearly wrong here.

Be sure to check as the program specials change prices. The one Mary referenced was more expensive this time.

Old 01-30-2023, 09:58 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,047,879 times
I signed up for an AARP safe driving class and arrived this morning only to be told that my husband must also attend in order for us to get a discount on our insurance.

I explained that he was unable to attend this class due to a previously scheduled dental appointment and that he would attend a later class. He said we must both attend the class at the same time. So I, along with a man who was attending solo, left.

Is this true that husband and I must attend at same time or was the guy just being a jerk?

Old 01-30-2023, 10:10 AM

We did the online class but it said something about in order for the full discount to apply the both had to be enrolled. I didn't pay attention since we bother were. But it definitely said something about both attending.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:27 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,047,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We did the online class but it said something about in order for the full discount to apply the both had to be enrolled. I didn't pay attention since we bother were. But it definitely said something about both attending.
I understand the requirement for both licensed drivers in a household to attend but I fail to understand why both must attend at the same time.

I think we'll check into the online class.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:13 PM

374 posts, read 517,420 times
Quote:
So we decided to go with the Senior Driving Discount of America program for $12.95...
Nuts, thanks for the update! Although I too am a sucker for a good British or Aussie accent (makes them sound intelligent), not rushing out to sign up right now.

Will do a little more research and let you know what I land on if I find anything interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware