Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,436 times

Advertisements

The Jenkins Store opened in Woodside Delaware in 1865 (when the name of the town was still Fredonia) and was first known as the Reed General Store after proprietors John and Jane Reed. Their daughter Mary Jane Reed and her husband Phillip Jenkins took over the store when the Reeds retired, and ran it until 1947. After that, son Glancy Jenkins and his wife Elsie operated the store. After Glancy died in 1967, Elsie operated the old place until it closed.
You can see this classic, American General Store on my Blog at: http://familypaper.blogspot.com

These old places, that cater to the needs of the local community, are getting very hard to find. You can still see the old Jenkins Store here in Lower Delaware, but you'll have to visit the local museum... its just not the same, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,009 times
Default Thanks for the post...

Nice to see something in Dover, where my hubby may soon be employed! Any other pics would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:59 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,009 times
Hey, I noticed you worked for the govt in the environmental dept, what are your thoughts on the enviroment in DE, do you have grave concerns? I had read somewhere on here that there were some serious problems with the air, what you think of this? Thanks!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,436 times
Thank you for your comments. Delaware is a great place to live, work and raise a family. Here in Kent County, lots of folks have been concerned with the pace of development and recently, our Levy Court took action to hold developers more accountable. You may want to visit Newszap (for the Dover Area) or the News Journal site to get a better feel of the pulse of Delaware. Here are some links you should checkout, if you haven't already.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

http://www.newszap.com/dm/central_delaware/ (broken link)

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/

Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 PM

8 posts, read 19,556 times
I know this is a really old thread...but I had to post. We actually used to ride our bikes down to Jenkins for penny candy and to fill the gas can for the lawn mower. Ms. Jenkins used to sit in the chair to the right of door most days and watch the Woodside happenings. It is sad to see the empty spot next to the railroad tracks but it's nice to know that it still stands at the Ag Museum (which is an awesome place to visit!) Thanks for posting the picture, brought back good memories and gave me a smile.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM

903 posts, read 3,506,126 times
We are fairly new to DE, but moved this past summer to the Woodside/Felton area. Thanks for this bit of Woodside history... from a transplant who loves DE!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: