Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:04 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,308,610 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Is auto insurance through the roof there too? when we lived in Orlando our insurance was very cheap, however here in Tampa it is through the roof! people do drive like crazy here and have no clue they have turning signals etc......so I was wondering how is this over there?

Thank you much,
Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 05:34 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,046,835 times
"Through the roof" is a relative term. I'm be relocating from New York and the estimate my company has given me suggests that I will be paying about 30% less than what I am paying in New York.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:10 AM

hmm, that's good right?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
hmm, that's good right?
For me to pay 30% less? Yes, I'd say that for me, that's good. Coming from New York, almost everything I will pay in Delaware (other than residential water service and cable service) will be less.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,103 times
coming from Philadelphia, it is hard for us to pin point an exact amount.. We had so many changes to our policy. DD was on before we moved. plus I'm not good with the technical figures.
I think our policy was roughly $20 less a month than what we were paying.
Not bad but the clincher is getting new tags. DH and I went to DMV after living in DE for a few months.
Quite interesting actually. They do everything there, even inspection.
When our transactions were almost finalized.......The clerk say that will be $650. I"m still in shock.
Of course this is for 5 years. Covers inspection and everything. We were told depends on how old your car is too.
The newer the car.......the more money you will pay.
Anyway......that is done for 5 years. Well.........3 now. Been here 2 already.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Charley, What do you mean about the residential water and cable?

Elizamary, so in DE you cannot update your tag information online? you have to go to DMV office? we've been updating everything online so far.....our car insurance doesn't have an office, it is online only and when I switched vehicles they found me a car shop that does inspections and it is free, then fax that to them........do we have to change that there to a company that is DMV approved? I didn't get that.........?

$650 for the license plates? do you have optional license plates there? or just one kind like in NY? we have about 1000 to choose from here............

Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 AM

699 posts, read 2,896,130 times
We have been with Geico for +20 years. When we moved from the Philly burbs to DE, our automobile premiums dropped dramatically. However, we paid considerably more to transfer our car registration to DE. If you factor in the fact that state inspections are included, I guess registration fees net out to be about the same.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I know it's slightly off-topic, but just to answer - everything will be cheaper for me in Delaware than it is in New York except for my water bill (Tidewater has higher rates than United Water) and cable (Comcast is more expensive than Cablevision). Other than that, all other costs, including auto insurance (to bring us back on topic) will be cheaper in Delaware.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:12 PM

699 posts, read 2,896,130 times
Quote:

Elizamary, so in DE you cannot update your tag information online? you have to go to DMV office? we've been updating everything online so far.....our car insurance doesn't have an office, it is online only and when I switched vehicles they found me a car shop that does inspections and it is free, then fax that to them........do we have to change that there to a company that is DMV approved? I didn't get that.........?

$650 for the license plates? do you have optional license plates there? or just one kind like in NY? we have about 1000 to choose from here............
Here's the scoop on DE car registration and licencing fees. Unfortunately, your out of state vehicle will be taxed again upon registration in DE. That is why initally, the fees are so high. State of Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles - Motor Vehicle Fees

Hope this helps. Charley is correct on everything else being more reasonable and he really does his homework too.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Here's the scoop on DE car registration and licencing fees. Unfortunately, your out of state vehicle will be taxed again upon registration in DE. That is why initally, the fees are so high. State of Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles - Motor Vehicle Fees

Hope this helps. Charley is correct on everything else being more reasonable and he really does his homework too.
Thanks so much.

The out-of-state vehicle tax amount is based in part on the age and value of the car, which is why we are hoping to make both our current cars last until we get there ... and then some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware