Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 20,500 times

Advertisements

Hi
Just saw an ad in the local newspaper for Heron Bay properties,Lewes,DE .
I am from New Jersey and would like a beach property ,the prices seem to just fit my budget.I would really appreciate some leads on buying property here in terms of construction, lifestyle,safety etc.

Thanks
DA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
DA it would be easier to answer if you had specific questions.
The real estate taxes will seem a bargain compared to N.J. Not sure where Heron Bay is. If it is outside of the city limits of Lewes taxes wil be really cheap. The tradeoff for that is no local services (police).
Lifestyle is very relaxed 9 months of the year. Summer can get a little hectic. There are many retirees moving into the area. Excellent restaurants , a modern movie complex with over 10 screens and of course the beach and water sports. For big city things like major museums,concerts etc about 2 1/2 hours to Phila.
I have lived in the area for many years and find it very safe.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 AM

11 posts, read 40,480 times
Heron Bay is okay, but there is a great locally owned builder in Lewes that has a fantastic property that is minutes to the beaches! Lessard Builders has their communities listed on their website and the community in Lewes is called Oakwood Village - if you're looking for true quality with great value, they are the ones to go see! (You'll work directly with the owner and the customize everything for the same price that the national cookie cutter builders are asking!)

Old 04-22-2010, 08:37 AM

ps- the property taxes in Lewes (depending upon your age) range from $800-$1400 per year. A bargain compared to NJ property taxes!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:12 AM

Oakwood looks great,thanks..but it is way out of my price range, for a vacation home. I was looking at properties that have some investment potential and priced under 200k.
Besides,is Lewes a good town for someone in their early thirties or is it more of retirement homes?

Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariR View Post
ps- the property taxes in Lewes (depending upon your age) range from $800-$1400 per year. A bargain compared to NJ property taxes!
Taxes depend on more than your age. Sussex County tax rates are all different, depending upon what school district the property is located. Lewes (Cape Henlopen School District) has a total county tax rate of $3.3786 per $100 of the assessed value (not appraised value). Assessments are performed by the County. In addition to County taxes there are Town of Lewes taxes. Lastly, there are senior citizen breaks.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasheyes View Post
Oakwood looks great,thanks..but it is way out of my price range, for a vacation home. I was looking at properties that have some investment potential and priced under 200k.
Besides,is Lewes a good town for someone in their early thirties or is it more of retirement homes?
There are many weekenders of all ages who own property and hope to retire there someday.
$200,000 is a real low figure for the area.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
There are many weekenders of all ages who own property and hope to retire there someday.
$200,000 is a real low figure for the area.
Yes i agree , and charts indicate the prices have been steady in the mid to upper 300's.That's why heron bay caught my attention.
Heron Bay

Old 04-24-2010, 01:47 AM

DEWEY BEACH -- Fifteen beach block resort condominations at the Delano and Rainbow Cove will be auctioned off May 1, with bids starting at $85,000.

The condos, located at 1406 Highway One and 109 Dagsworthy St., were originally listed for as much as $550,000.
Preview dates are scheduled from noon to 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 24.

The auction will take place at the Loews Annapolis Hotel, 126 West Street, in Annapolis at 1 p.m. on Saturday, May 1.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:49 PM

You can easily find condos in the $250K range but you're not going to be on the beach..... and, we're starting to see costs go up now! (The building materials are going up because of petroleum costs rising.) Luckily, interest rates are remaining realatively steady.

Horrible to hear about the Delano/Rainbow Cove condos. Might be an opportunity, but some communities are using auctions to get higher prices (the bids start low but will go sky high)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware