Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times

Advertisements

I have the same experience with every dentist: first visit is great. Second visit, I have a filling that needs to be replaced, then it's a crown, then it's something cosmetic, it never ends. That's about when I switch and the cycle starts over again.

Now, every time a dentist suggest works, I ask to see the xray. If they cannot explain proposed work simply and visually, then I don't have the work done.

I did find an excellent dentist once. I really, really liked her and her work. She hired a new receptionist who is obnoxious, rude, and just plain mean. She routinely tried to give me dental advice that she was clearly not qualified to give. There were other issues (all with the receptionist), but the bottom line is that were it not for that horrid receptionist, I'd still be with that dentist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 02:56 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
EVERYONE is in business to make money. No one does anything for charity.

In my area of the U.S. property values are out of sight price wise and this adds a huge burden to all doing business in my town. I could go about 20 miles away and probably pay less for services. But NOW, I'm happy not to go to any dentist.

I'm just thankful I'm saving a 10 yr long molar issue with the toothpaste I make and the essential oils I use to keep my mouth healthy. Not a dental visit for over 5 yrs and feel good about this and my mouth is healthy and CLEAN. Coconut Oil is superb.

Don't forget the flax seed oil!! It cures cancer as well.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:00 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
I guess I'm the oddball here. All the doctors (doctor/dentists) I have been to have been professional, excellent clinicians, great staffs and made me feel very comfortable. I've moved around a lot so I have had 12-15 doctors and all tip top.

[there's both a lesson and a moral to all this- can you find it?]

Old 08-19-2016, 04:50 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times
I trust the dentist we have gone to for decades....

The orthodontist our kids went to years ago (they are in their 40's now)
I didn't care for...when our son was joining the Air Force a letter was sent
saying to have his braces removed, the receptionist (also the Dr's wife) told
me to let the Air Force do it, I finally had to show her the letter before he
would remove them...our daughter had worn braces for 5 years, the last
year every visit he claimed he'd remove them "next time", she would come
out and cry, she was 18 by then...I finally insisted he remove them.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:06 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Don't forget the flax seed oil!! It cures cancer as well.
Flax oil MAY just do that. Keep your Mind Closed.

Grape Seed Extract Rules. (May prevent "C")

Old 08-19-2016, 05:28 PM

49 posts, read 80,732 times
It's not you.

I just found out the dental work I spent 10k on last year is almost all shoddy and will all need to be replaced. The dental tech said she had never seen anything like it- she said "teeth are supposed to fit together" and made a 'puzzle' gesture with her hand- "but yours are..." and with her hands moved her fingers around so they wouldn't fit.

Awesome.

I trust the current dentist because she wouldn't accept any of my money or do any work until I get (adult) braces so that my mouth is leveled. But man. I wish I had gone to her first rather than dumping over 10k into garbage work.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:33 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Flax oil MAY just do that. Keep your Mind Closed.

Grape Seed Extract Rules. (May prevent "C")
What's "C"?

Old 08-20-2016, 11:04 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,233 times
C=consumption? Conjunctivitis? Or...*gasp* Cancer? It's the newest wonder cure. Big Pharma doesn't want you to know...shhhh.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
It's true, city of hope, sloan kettering, mayo et al all are using grape seed ex and pycnogenol in their cancer research labs. Check it out. Do your research, I've found so much info online about this OPC and cancer. It's the main reason I started on them in 1995....we were told "MAY" prevent cancer(s).

Was anyone else at that lecture in Orange County, CA....I don't think so.

Am I the only one here who wants cancer prevention?

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-20-2016 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-20-2016, 06:11 PM

622 posts, read 410,003 times
Perhaps this has been covered in prior posts but the tendency for dentists to recommend needless work is something that has happened over the past couple of decades and increasingly so in the past decade. I think part of it is financial pressure ranging from the increasing cost of dental school and the related loans that have to be paid back as well as more competition from other dentists.

Combine this with the shrinking reimbursement from insurance companies for dental services such as cleaning and routine fillings and you see part of the reason why dentists sometimes recommend needless work.

I had a great dentist when I lived in TN - she was as honest as they come. Then when I moved to Northern Virginia and the dentist I saw in Alexandria over two decades ago took xrays and told me that I needed seven fillings! My prior checkup in TN six months prior said that everything was fine. I did not bother with the fillings or even seeking a second opinion.

We moved to Southern CA and a dentist there said I need five fillings and also said that I was grinding my teeth and wanted me to get something that I'd wear in the night to prevent the grinding - never have I ever been told about teeth grinding prior to this. I declined the fillings and the teeth grinding prevention accessory. Found another dentist there and she said I did not need any fillings and there was no evidence of teeth grinding. About four years later she said that I had a small cavity and I told her to go ahead and fill it.

Since then, I have not had any more fillings!

One of the rackets one finds increasingly is that one needs deep cleaning which is a lot more expensive than regular cleaning. I never heard of deep cleaning twenty years ago but I am now in FL and I have heard others talk about how dentists push this.

Then you have this push to extract wisdom teeth among teenagers even when they are not giving any trouble. I still have three of my wisdom teeth and I am told repeatedly that I should have them removed. I tell them that I have done fine all these years with them and until I have problems, I will not do anything to remove them.

There are honest dentists but I am very wary of any recommendations for things like root canals, deep cleaning, crowns, bridges, etc. If anyone thinks, I am being overly critical of dentists, let me add that my immediate family includes a couple of doctors and my extended family includes a couple of dentists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health