Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 07:29 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Implants are not a walk in the park. Besides the cost, the pain, trips to dentist, pain and those metal posts implanted in our gums...nope.
How many of your implants have caused you problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 07:48 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Same with my mom, jamin, my mom would have been 102 this month. She had dentures when she was 21 because she got hoof and mouth disease from a regular cleaning and the instruments were not sterilized. She could eat anything with or without her teeth in! It never occurred to me that that was amazing!

In April my dental insurance kicks in and I'm going to have what's left of my teeth pulled and get dentures. I hope I am as lucky as Mom was in eating!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
How sure are you of this?
I don't think so!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-and-mouth_disease

Maybe this? But it has nothing to do with tooth cleaning or instruments not being properly sterilized (which is an unlikely event).

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353035

"The most common cause of hand-foot-and-mouth disease is infection with the coxsackievirus A16. The coxsackievirus belongs to a group of viruses called nonpolio enteroviruses. Other types of enteroviruses sometimes cause hand-foot-and-mouth disease.

Oral ingestion is the main source of coxsackievirus infection and hand-foot-and-mouth disease. The illness spreads by person-to-person contact with an infected person's:

Nasal secretions or throat discharge
Saliva
Fluid from blisters
Stool
Respiratory droplets sprayed into the air after a cough or sneeze"

Old 02-22-2019, 08:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
geezus keep your teeth. For every person you find who loves their dentures you can find more who hate them. They never even come close to your own teeth in your ability to chew food. My mother had dentures and was in constant pain, as she got older her lower jawbone reabsorbed and left her without enough bone for the bottom dentures to fit onto, so they basically floated in her mouth and when they rubbed against her gums she would get sores. She must have bought 5 sets of dentures in the last 10 years of her life and had numerous relines done as well.

Quote:
Most studies concur that denture wearers have only about one fifth to one fourth the bite strength and masticatory force of natural dentition subjects. There appears to be a wide range of acceptable chewing forces, as evidenced by the wide variation in bite strength of natural dentition subjects. However, bite strength and masticatory forces in denture wearers fall below the natural dentition range and therefore it is concluded that denture wearers are handicapped in bite force. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2338667
If you have to get dentures, at least look at overdentures, they can be fitted on to remaining teeth, or implants.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:43 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
geezus keep your teeth. For every person you find who loves their dentures you can find more who hate them. They never even come close to your own teeth in your ability to chew food. My mother had dentures and was in constant pain, as she got older her lower jawbone reabsorbed and left her without enough bone for the bottom dentures to fit onto, so they basically floated in her mouth and when they rubbed against her gums she would get sores. She must have bought 5 sets of dentures in the last 10 years of her life and had numerous relines done as well.

If you have to get dentures, at least look at overdentures, they can be fitted on to remaining teeth, or implants.
I agree. I will do anything to keep what I have left of my teeth. My whole upper jaw had to be reconstructed with bridges and crowns, and I have an implant bridge in my lower jaw. I thank heaven for that bridge because I COULD NOT CHEW on that side, having lost a previous bridge due to infection (very old bridge that failed).

Everyone needs to do what is best; but my own dentist told me I would NOT be a good candidate for dentures (I forgot the exact reason) I also have terrible gag reflex, so no thank you. I will pay what I have to if/when I have to redo.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:29 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Same with my mom, jamin, my mom would have been 102 this month. She had dentures when she was 21 because she got hoof and mouth disease from a regular cleaning and the instruments were not sterilized. !
How very wrong.

Hoof and mouth disease is found in farm animals, not humans.

If you meant hand, foot, and mouth disease, which does affect humans, that does not cause tooth loss, and is a minor illness usually found in children, causing only a few days of fever and relatively mild signs and symptoms. It's passed by nasal secretions, fluid from blisters, saliva, stool, and sneezing/coughing on other people.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:24 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,782,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
How very wrong.

Hoof and mouth disease is found in farm animals, not humans.

If you meant hand, foot, and mouth disease, which does affect humans, that does not cause tooth loss, and is a minor illness usually found in children, causing only a few days of fever and relatively mild signs and symptoms. It's passed by nasal secretions, fluid from blisters, saliva, stool, and sneezing/coughing on other people.

It's an attempt to deflect responsibility and ownership of problems. So common in dentistry for some reason. Similar to "my baby sucked the calcium out of my teeth."

Old 02-25-2019, 12:52 PM

629 posts, read 934,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
It's an attempt to deflect responsibility and ownership of problems. So common in dentistry for some reason. Similar to "my baby sucked the calcium out of my teeth."

My favorite is "Soft teeth runs in my family." More like soft brain.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:32 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times
My boyfriend has dentures. He loves them. However, when he takes them out at night.....Oh Lord, he looks 20 years older. I know he doesn't care about that and that's fine. It just still shocks me how old it makes him look and his voice is also different once he takes those dentures out. I don't think I could ever do it. I have paid dearly for implants but I know they will last and I don't have to take them out at night. I'll try to keep what teeth I have left and I hope I never have to get dentures........

Old 02-28-2019, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,841 times
In this case you can go with dental implants. Dentures puts certain restrictions on your diet. If you are considering meat or pizza then implants will work better then dentures. Dentures slips off often and doesn't look natural.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybrownus View Post
In this case you can go with dental implants. Dentures puts certain restrictions on your diet. If you are considering meat or pizza then implants will work better then dentures. Dentures slips off often and doesn't look natural.
Agreed, dentures can slip off. Nothing worse than trying to talk with someone and have your dentures nearly fall out of your mouth. Denture adhesive paste can prevent such problems. There are some adhesives that hold very tight, and you can eat almost anything, or so goes the claim. In general, if a person opts for standard dentures, they'll need to adapt to doing things differently. That may mean avoiding certain foods that require a strong bite, or eat in smaller pieces. Chewing is something that requires practice.

As for appearance, there are standard dentures that can have a very natural look. The biggest problem with standard dentures is that the upper plate covers the entire roof of your mouth. Eating and drinking definitely doe not feel normal. Normally, food and drinks are felt by the roof of your mouth. With that acrylic covering, you don't have the same sensation as before.

I also agree that if you can afford implants dentures, go for it. That's not so bad if there's only 2 or 3 teeth to do. But if your going for a full set, they're still going to be dentures, but much stronger than standard dentures. There's no plate covering the roof of your mouth, so foods and drinks taste natural. The problem is that the cost can be anywhere from $20,000 or up depending on your choices. You'll still have to take them out to clean them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health