Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 05:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times

Advertisements

Yes this happened to me years ago when I didn't have insurance. They told me I needed thousands of dollars of dental work. I took the x-rays and brought them to another dentist. He did an exam and looked at the x-rays the other dentist took. My teeth were 100% fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:02 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
I'm so glad I have dentists in my family, that I have good relationships with and can always ask them their opinion since I don't live in the same state as them anymore and go to local dentists where I'm at. If I did still live near them, I would obvious just go to them for free!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:12 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Yes this happened to me years ago when I didn't have insurance. They told me I needed thousands of dollars of dental work. I took the x-rays and brought them to another dentist. He did an exam and looked at the x-rays the other dentist took. My teeth were 100% fine.

According to many posters here, the more you pay, the better off you are.

Glad you are one who didn't drink that kool-aid

Old 05-18-2017, 02:05 PM

629 posts, read 932,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
According to many posters here, the more you pay, the better off you are.

Glad you are one who didn't drink that kool-aid

We can't all have top of the line dentures.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:35 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times
We once went to a dentist and after a full mouth x-ray they came back with a plan to replace all our old fillings with a different type of filling. As I recall the bill to replace all fillings was near $2500.00. We decided not to do that at that time.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:10 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
The dentist I had been going to for 14 years passed away; not only was I heartbroken about his passing, but sad to lose a fantastic dentist who did excellent work and wasn't greedy.

All of his records were transferred to another dentist so it seemed the easiest path to just start seeing the new dentist. Stayed with him for about two years until I retired and no longer had dental insurance. The new insurance I obtained wasn't accepted by his office so I was out looking for another provider.

The next dentist told me I needed to have every crown replaced plus fillings. He said to immediately make an appointment to begin the work; when I asked about the costs he said his staff checked with my insurance and they told them how much it would pay. When I told him I needed to know the out-of-pocket he became irritated and said that it wasn't necessary for me to have that information. Scratched him off the list.

Tried another dental office and their examination was completely different; they named different teeth than the previous dentist that required attention. Tired of the ongoing search I decided to have some of the work done, only to discover on my next visit there was a new dentist and he came up with yet another list. Shortly thereafter he left and another dentist was on staff who gave me a completely different list!

Luckily I finally ended up with a very good dentist at another office in town who is similar to my first dentist: very ethical and not money hungry. He performed a thorough examination of my teeth and gums, plus xrays and didn't find any issues at all. I even had the xrays and records from the last dentist sent to him for review, and he still couldn't identify any needed procedures.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:56 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
In my town there are hundreds of dentists, like attorneys and doctors. Anyway, when I started to use alternative toothpaste I made on my own and taking care of my teeth much much better and decided NOT to do xrays anymore, I had to call around for a dentist who would clean my teeth and didn't push xrays. I found one and he charged me $65 and normal cleanings in this town are over $100 and xrays are pushed. That was years ago and since then no dental visits.. I believe I do a good job with dental hygeine. I spent many hrs and $$ in dental chairs to a LOT of years.

I find older well established dentists are not out for the big money. My experiences.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:35 AM

9 posts, read 6,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocratic View Post
I arrived in town and went to a new dentist and was just shocked when I got the word about my teeth. She told me I needed about $6000 in dental work including crowns, root canals, and about 7 fillings. I told her I would get back to her and then went for a second opinion.

The new dentist said my teeth were fine except for one small cavity which cost about $150 to fill. The next time I showed the document the other dentist gave me telling which teeth needed the root canals and crowns. The second dentist said that the first dentist was lying to me to pad her pocket.

Could I report the first dentist to some board for telling me I needed things done to my teeth that were not necessary? Do you think this is common?
It was good for you for seeking a second opinion. Nowadays, let it be any case, it is always good to take a second opinion.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:44 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
No I haven't.

This makes no sense.

Your story is also weird since you indicated you went to "a new town" and found "a new dentist".

But what about your OLD DENTIST from your OLD TOWN? What did they say?

Or how about you actually maybe never have been to a dentist for many years???

As someone who's spent thousands on extensive dental work: they don't just say "you need a root canal or cap" and not tell you WHY.

It's YOUR choice whether you listen or not.

It sounds to me like you just threw a laundry list of dental procedures onto a post just to complain that dentists are thieves.

And FYI just because some dentist said "it's fine" doesn't mean it's RIGHT. It could also mean "you can get away with it like that for awhile".

Until your tooth cracks in half or blows up your jaw with a giant abscess

Last edited by runswithscissors; 05-30-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I've had a dentist tell me, 20 years ago, that my wisdom teeth were "rotting out" and needed to be pulled - ASAP!

20 years later, I still have my wisdom teeth.

There are huge ethical issues with pulling teeth that don't need to be pulled. And one of them is, although it's rare, occasionally a person dies from being put under anesthesia to get wisdom teeth pulled.

These dentists should be cracked down on. I know they have huge student loans to pay off, but that shouldn't be my problem. It's theirs.
Another story I call BS on.

ROTTING OUT?

LOLOLOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health