Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:59 PM

629 posts, read 932,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
https://www.incorporate.com/benefits...rporating.html

OT a bit, but my landLORD after living here 25 yrs is now incorporated, I have to add LLC on my check to them...they need the money!!!!
So now we can add taxation and small business ownership to the growing list of things you are absolutely clueless about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 01:05 PM

To the person who PMed me saying "of course you dentists/doctors defend each other", I don't understand where you got that idea. When I see bad dentistry, I show the patient what it's supposed to look like, then show them what theirs looks like. They can then figure it out for themselves. I then say, "if you have questions about your dental work, you should talk to the dentist that did this work." Not quite sure how that is defending anyone.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe they looked at your teeth and thought they were salvageable and gave you a high price to discourage you from having them all pulled
I think you're on to something here. When I see a new patient and determine through my initial discussion with them that they are potentially going to be a major pain in the neck, I simply quote them a fee so high they run out of the office and never darken my doorstep again. Where did I learn this trick? From a dental school professor. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that's what happened here.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:23 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
The corporations are called "DSOs" - Dental Services/Support Organizations. You are right that the easiest way to identify a private practice is one that is named after the owner, but these days there are several private practices that are NOT the name of the owner. Usually this is done for marketing purposes - easier to find on a Google search.

Many corporate offices are trying to hide the fact that they are corporate in their marketing, almost as if they know their reputation among the population and dental community. You the nail on the head with the naming - there is a very large dental corporation that I will not name here with offices all over the country named "Your Town Modern Dentistry" or "Your Town Dental Group". They try to give the appearance that they are doctor-owned, private practices. The easiest way to identify those is that they will have the exact same web page - only difference is the location and name of the doctor(s).

Finding a dentist can be difficult. Honestly, the best dentist is the one you feel the most comfortable with. I have seen patients with a mouth full of garbage dentistry, but they absolutely love their dentist and trust them wholeheartedly. I don't try to throw that dentist under the bus. I simply tell them what I see and let them decide for themselves. If they are more comfortable with their other dentist, I understand completely. No hard feelings at all.
Sorry, yes DSO. You're right about the websites, I checked and found almost 20 dental practices in the area with the same website design as the guy who tried to sell me the $78 bottle of chlorhexidine, I did a little more research and found that the logo is that of Pacific Dental Services.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:59 PM

14,936 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
After my two failed attempts to find a good dentist I think I found a keeper. He's a mile from my home & he's had his own practice for 20 years. He spent a lot of time looking at my x-rays and examining my teeth. I won't go into all the boring details, but basically this is how it went.

He gave me three treatment plan options and discussed each one with me, he didn't push or try to talk me into more expensive work. On one of my teeth that has decay under the crown, rather than replacing the crown he said he can fix the decay without removing the crown, he explained it but all I got out of it was something about gums and a laser.

He's going to have the hygienist do a regular perio maintenance cleaning and if she finds anything that would require more work he said he would charge me a small amount extra for the additional time involved to treat the one or two teeth that he thought might warrant that.

He didn't push me to make up my mind and said he could all the work at once in one sitting, or he could spread it out over 6 or 8 months and I could pay for it over that time.

Sounds great! I know they're out there, our dentist does great work and is considerate of patients' resources as well.

Good luck with your new dentist! That'd be great if he can remove the decay under the crown without taking off the crown. I didn't know they could do that.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sounds great! I know they're out there, our dentist does great work and is considerate of patients' resources as well. Good luck with your new dentist! That'd be great if he can remove the decay under the crown without taking off the crown. I didn't know they could do that.
Thanks! I didn't know they could either and I'm not sure how they do it all I heard was something about 'laser and your gums' that sort of freaked me out, so I sort of missed the rest of what he said. Maybe one of our resident dentists here can explain it.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 06-30-2017 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 11:11 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Regarding previous posts here...you do NOT always get what what you pay for....but you will NEVER get what you DON'T pay for. I recommend going to Mexico because fixing those cases is sending my kids to college.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Regarding previous posts here...you do NOT always get what what you pay for....but you will NEVER get what you DON'T pay for. I recommend going to Mexico because fixing those cases is sending my kids to college.
lol like these cases? dental implant fell out Archives - Dr. Brady Sherly's BlogDr. Brady Sherly's Blog

broken dental implants Archives - Dr. Currie's Dentistry Blog

Old 07-01-2017, 02:55 AM

14,936 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
No thanks. I'd rather get things right done the first time.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:53 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
No thanks. I'd rather get things right done the first time.

and thousands of people are going to Mexico and having no problems with their dental work whatsoever.

Do you actually believe that every person using a dentist here in the US never has had a problem despite spending way more money $$$$$$$$$$$ ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health