Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:17 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Dentists do yell at you for not flossing enough.
If by "yell at you" you mean ask you if you've been flossing, showing you for the umpteenth time how to floss, and suggesting that you do floss, sure. Teaching home care is a major part of dentistry.

As the poster above me stated, flossing saves you and your teeth from a lot of trouble, and saves you money, so it's a puzzle to me that people refuse to do it. Flossing is the CHEAPEST and most effective way to take care of your teeth.

But no. We'd rather get gum disease, cavities, and complain about dental care and dental cost, doc. No flossing for us, we'd rather concoct our own greasy toothpaste and proclaim that it has cured all dental disease (not to mention toenail fungus, eczema, diabetes, cancer, and arthritis, and established world peace with it as well), with absolutely no flossing at all.

There, I got it all out. That felt good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 02:33 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
If by "yell at you" you mean ask you if you've been flossing, showing you for the umpteenth time how to floss, and suggesting that you do floss, sure. Teaching home care is a major part of dentistry.

As the poster above me stated, flossing saves you and your teeth from a lot of trouble, and saves you money, so it's a puzzle to me that people refuse to do it. Flossing is the CHEAPEST and most effective way to take care of your teeth.

But no. We'd rather get gum disease, cavities, and complain about dental care and dental cost, doc. No flossing for us, we'd rather concoct our own greasy toothpaste and proclaim that it has cured all dental disease (not to mention toenail fungus, eczema, diabetes, cancer, and arthritis, and established world peace with it as well), with absolutely no flossing at all. ..

There, I got it all out. That felt good..
LOL!!! Hope it did feel good. Flossing wasn't something I was taught as a kid. One of my dentists showed me how during an annual cleaning as an adult. My parents may or may not have flossed...don't recall. But then we won the dental lottery as we were blessed with very tough teeth. I've gone through periods when I flossed and when I didn't. I admit to having an occasional cola and pieces of candy. The only fillings I've needed were due to wear from tooth grinding. Oh yeah, there's been a "watch" on one tooth for years but its never progressed to needing to be filled.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:48 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
All my teeth seem fine accept a few molars that got a little work eating candy a decade ago. My wisdom teeth are in too. I'm thinking about going in but am worried about getting raked over the coals financially. Is it unusual to go without seeing a dentist so long and not have problems?
The last time I went to a dentist before I was 30 was maybe 16 though I really don't remember. I'm sure I had to have gone when I was like 12 or something; just don't remember any dentist trips in high school or even when we moved to a neighboring state which was when I was 12 so maybe that was the last time before I got insurance with my work. When I went I was so nervous they would find so many things wrong, but not a thing. The only thing I had to do was, like you, get my wisdom teeth removed. They had come in and were causing some pain here and there. So it is possible to not go for years and years and not have any problems.

(On a side note, did anyone here actually enjoy the whole experience of getting your wisdom teeth removed--not impacted-- or am I the only one that crazy here? I really wish I could have another set to take out--I heard of that being something that does rarely happen--but alas, nothing there that I know of yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On the tough teeth, the lady I mentioned above who had not seen a dentist in a lot of years and her teeth looked so strong, some of the teeth were crowded and she never did anything in her life to change that..they were not perfect looking, but strong looking and healthy looking.
My teeth are crowded too--they're definitely not perfect looking (though everyone says I have a nice smile; I tend to think it's too big, but that's my view of it). The strange thing is that my mother did take me to an orthodontist to get braces put in, but the dentist recommended that I do not have the braces done. I can't remember the exact reason why, but he said my teeth didn't need it. That was one good dentist we had because I heard they get a lot of money out of people getting braces, but of course I wouldn't know anything about that.

Quote:
Dentists do yell at you for not flossing enough.
I wish I still was able to go to my dentist in Las Vegas! I know it's frowned upon, but I never floss. I'm terrible at time management and it takes up way too much time. So when I went to the dentist there in Las Vegas for the first time after possibly 18 years, he asked about flossing and I just couldn't lie so I said I never did. He said he appreciated the honesty because he could tell. Then after everything was done and he was talking to me before we set up the every 6 month cleaning routine before the next visit he said to keep on doing what I was doing because I have a good set of teeth!

I think one of the reasons I'm not anxious about seeing a dentist out here (in North Carolina where I lived for 2 years I did not have health insurance, so thus no dental visits) is that I'm convinced I won't find one as good as the one I had out there. But I do have to get that done, it's been over a year now since I've had insurance here.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 11-03-2017 at 03:01 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 03:54 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Sixteen years is a long time not to go to the dentist. I go every six months for a check up and cleaning. The past few years I've said NO when they want to take the xrays. I can't afford xrays every six months on top of the cost of the check up and cleaning and anyway, are they really necessary every six months? It seems dental procedures get more and more expensive.

I'll be going to a new dentist because I've relocated but I have a great recommendation from someone. I'll get xrays this time just to make sure there's nothing going on that I don't know about.

My teeth feel a lot better after a professional cleaning. I have been using the baking soda and coconut oil recipe that's been posted on here but mostly because most toothpaste "burns" with the mint of whatever is in it. I do floss--but it's never enough. Dentists do yell at you for not flossing enough.
Every six months sounds like a bit much for routine dental x-rays, seems to me, unless there is a reason, say monitoring of a problem area or something like that.

I get dental cleanings twice a year, routine dental ( panoramic ) xrays during one of those visits.

The baking soda/coconut oil mix toothpaste sounds intriguing, but I like the taste of mint, especially when it's strong.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:05 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

But no. We'd rather get gum disease, cavities, and complain about dental care and dental cost, doc. No flossing for us, we'd rather concoct our own greasy toothpaste and proclaim that it has cured all dental disease (not to mention toenail fungus, eczema, diabetes, cancer, and arthritis, and established world peace with it as well), with absolutely no flossing at all.

There, I got it all out. That felt good.

Well, I'm glad that made you feel better!

When I say "yell" I mean they REMIND you, lol. I do floss although we were never told about it because I don't think it was heard of back when I was growing up. I think the trick would be to have floss available all the time--meaning not only in the bathroom but by your chair so you can floss while watching tv, in your nightstand, in your purse to use when you are stuck waiting in the car.

A dentist told me about that trick one time. Just buy lots of floss and make it conveniently available. (Note to self also.)

Old 11-05-2017, 05:54 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
OP, you might try going to a dental hygiene clinic at a school (college or sometime community college or junior college). The students will clean your teeth and chart any problems, take X-rays, etc. They are supervised by instructors and a dentist will also check their work. NOTE!!!! This is a dentist who has no financial interest in your teeth!! so you know you will get an unbiased opinion.

It does take about 3 hours but is usually quite low cost. I did this for years, only seeing a dentist for prescribed work.

When I did pick a regular dentist to go to, 3 years ago, I picked one who was on the board of directors of the free dental clinic in town (I know, not every area has one). I figured if he was of the mindset of helping to provide free dental care, he wouldn't be a money-grubber. When I met him I explained that money was somewhat tight and he has always worked with me on what could be done for my teeth.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,786 times
I have had a lot of problems with my teeth over the years and for most of them went to a dentist religiously. That said, due to the recession, i have not been able to go for about 5 years. I knew I needed to have some things done, so I went to groupon.com and got a lovely exam/cleaning/x-ray package. I went today and I am in shock. The dentist is claiming I need about 15K worth of work done and they tried to get me to sign up for some sort of a loan while I was there. This was a very highly reviewed office but they specialize in cosmetic dentistry and I should have known better. Now, I need to see if I can find a good "plain" sort of dentist, as I know what I need done and the usual cost for it. If anyone could point out any dentists of this kind (if they still exist), I would be ever so grateful as I am new to Tampa.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:44 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I really don't understand what the big deal is with not flossing. Takes less than a minute and there are so many aids/ways to help you floss that a 5 year old can do it - my kids are proof.

I am also surprised that the public hates it when they are told by their dentist that they need to floss more. Think about it:

Flossing = less cavities and reduced gum problems
Less cavities/gum problems = less work for the dentist
Less work the dentist does = less money they make

So, to recap - your dentist is telling you ways that will SAVE YOU money and will result in THEM making LESS money. Name me any other business that will routinely do that. Yet, people sill complain.
my parents have never flossed in their lives and only go to the dentist when they have problems. They brush their teeth before breakfast (...I know ...) , drink coffee and all and the second brushing is before bed at night.

They are 70 and have had hardly any teeth related issues all their lives.

I brush and floss all the time and have horrible teeth/gum. Apparently it is genetics, just not sure from where??? I am not adopted.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:50 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
my parents have never flossed in their lives and only go to the dentist when they have problems. They brush their teeth before breakfast (...I know ...) , drink coffee and all and the second brushing is before bed at night.

They are 70 and have had hardly any teeth related issues all their lives.

I brush and floss all the time and have horrible teeth/gum. Apparently it is genetics, just not sure from where??? I am not adopted.
Your grandparents? I have horrible gums and it’s definitely genetic since I had my first gum graft in my mid-20s. Generally the dentists/hygienists are happy with my tartar/plaque so that is not the issue at all. Sometimes if you get braces, that causes all sorts of weird things to happen afterward. Gum disease is linked to heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and other issues, so it’s really good to have your teeth and gums checked even if you don’t feel like you’ve had problems. I have one friend who had this recurring tonsil infection for years and she told me she found out it was somehow related to her periodontal health.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:53 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Your grandparents? I have horrible gums and it’s definitely genetic since I had my first gum graft in my mid-20s. Generally the dentists/hygienists are happy with my tartar/plaque so that is not the issue at all. Sometimes if you get braces, that causes all sorts of weird things to happen afterward. Gum disease is linked to heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and other issues, so it’s really good to have your teeth and gums checked even if you don’t feel like you’ve had problems. I have one friend who had this recurring tonsil infection for years and she told me she found out it was somehow related to her periodontal health.
Oh i go regularly to the dentist. My parents don't and dont have any issues. They made it to an old age without heart disease, stroke, and diabetes or anything else mouth related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health