Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle77 View Post
I hate to be the one with the bad experience, but I had all four of mine removed this past spring and the recovery was more painful than child birth. Peggy Anne knows what I'm talking about. Dry sockets - OUCH!

Don't do it if you really don't need to, Heather Lynn! That's the same reason my dentist gave me as to why I should get mine removed.
I just got through with mine. I sure had a reason to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 AM

141 posts, read 293,034 times
I got mine out when I was 14. I'd imagine you've already gotten yours out, though.

The part that was painful was the recovery and the puffiness of the mouth. I couldn't drink out of a straw for a few days. The medicine is miserable.

I personally had some nerve damage from it afterward, as I can't feel parts of my face without pinching them really hard, but I'm all fine otherwise. I kind of miss being able to feel my chin, though, haha...

Old 09-05-2009, 12:37 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
I got holes in my gum. How long does it usually take for it to close up?

Old 09-05-2009, 02:21 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Had all four impacted wisdom teeth taken out under general anesthesia. The surgery went very well, no pain.

I did have swelling and bleeding afterward. A doctor told me to pour boiling water over two black tea bags (like regular Lipton or English breakfast or such, but not herbal and not green), and when cool place them on both side of my mount, in the back where the teeth used to be and gently close my mouth on them. Repeat as necessary. Something in the tannic acid causes blood to clot. That did the trick after a few applications.

I had a swollen jaw on both sides and some facial bruising. Eating normally took me about a week or so. Until then, as the OP said, it was hard to open my mouth wide enough for normal foods, and it hurt to chew...so I ate lots of puddings, oatmeal and other soft things...

Now my DH also had all four out at once and he had no bleeding, hardly any swelling, and ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich within three hours of surgery...so everyone''s experience is unique.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I got holes in my gum. How long does it usually take for it to close up?
It has been over 20 years for me, but I still seem to get stuff stuck back behind my back teeth... yes it is much better now of course, but it still bothers me. Maybe it is psychological, but yea it took a long time to get over it.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:15 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,056 times
Glad the surgery went well!

I had mine out when I was 16 or so. Good lord, it was horrible. I'm surprised to hear so many say it was no big deal.

I was totally knocked out. When I woke up I was crying, but not because anything hurt at that point. I guess it's just a reaction to that anesthesia.

My mom decided to get me home before going out to fill the pain med prescription. By the time she got back I was practically screaming with pain. Worse, she'd gotten me a Dairy Queen shake since the meds had to be taken with food, and when that cold hit it... ahhh!

Lots of bleeding.

The bleeding stopped after a couple of days, but I had black and blue, then yellow bruises along my jawlines.

Anyway, glad I won't be doing that again!

Old 10-10-2009, 12:20 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
No, but I really do need to. The only time they hurt is when I eat a thick steak. OUCH!! It hurts for a while.

I just don't have dental insurance to do it (gosh! why is going to the dentist so expensive these days??!! Sheesh!!).

Old 10-10-2009, 03:53 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Had 4 taken out - I had all the drugs - IV, gas, and shots... I actually must've woken up during the operation as I recall looking at the surgical team and hearing/seeing some pounding happening :-(

Healed up fine and kept the teeth (LOL - I wanted proof). Funny thing is that 15 years later I have another wisdom tooth which came through but is still in my mouth. I probably will get it removed some day since it's like a baby tooth and impossible to floss around. 5 wisdom teeth, yeap. I think I now know why so many people on my father's side of the family have crooked teeth... I bet the wisdom teeth take up a lot of room in their mouths and pushed aside their other teeth.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:15 PM

192 posts, read 617,794 times
I had all 4 of mine taken out at once, and afterwards, I felt/acted like this kid ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs

Old 05-29-2013, 01:22 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Some adults still have their wisdom teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health