Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,672 times

Advertisements

Okay, here is a new one on me...I've noticed what looks like the inside color of my teeth receeding. It's not the enamel, it seems to be the inside pulp part.

It started just on the edge of the teeth, and over time it's like the lower half of the tooth is almost transparent, and the upper half still looks like a regular tooth color. I don't know how else to describe it other than it looks like the inside "pulp" of the tooth is pulling out. This is bizarre!

** Just learned a new term - the pulp is in the very center of the tooth. The part that is visibly receding is called the "dentin" which is just beneath the enamel layer.

I've searched the internet for days and cannot find anything like it. My dentist appointment is next week, but I don't know how much help he will be. When it started I asked him about it, and he said "Oh, that's something from when you were two years old." What the H does that mean?

It's worse now, and I would love to have some kind of a name for this condition. If this dentist doesn't know what to do, I'll find someone who does.

Anyone know what the heck this is? Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Adream; 06-01-2007 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: New term
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 05:42 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
I dont know what it is, but I have it on some of my teeth, some more than others. My front top 2 teeth are just wround the edges, the bottoms are a bit more-so. I just went to the dentist a few weeks ago and he said I was in perfect dental health.

You do have to becareful of that enamel though....once its gone, its gone. I use a soft compact brush. Alot of people use the medium or hard bristles, and they are harming their teeth, esp if they are scrubbing hard....

Old 06-02-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
You do have to becareful of that enamel though....once its gone, its gone. I use a soft compact brush. Alot of people use the medium or hard bristles, and they are harming their teeth, esp if they are scrubbing hard....
That's the weird thing about it, Cinderobyn - my enamel is fine (I use a soft bristle Oral-B rotating brush), the changes are on the inside. It's like my teeth are slowly becoming semi-transparent.
Why couldn't I just get normal things that can be easily addressed? I always get the weird stuff.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
That's the weird thing about it, Cinderobyn - my enamel is fine (I use a soft bristle Oral-B rotating brush), the changes are on the inside. It's like my teeth are slowly becoming semi-transparent.
Why couldn't I just get normal things that can be easily addressed? I always get the weird stuff.
I get that... mine are like that too.... but I am not so sure if that, in the dental world is a particularly very bad thing. I dont know ....dentist gave me an ok.....

Some of us are just bigger than the normal things, right?

Old 06-02-2007, 09:16 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,355,097 times
Are you taking calcium supplements, either prescription or over the counter? If you are, let your dentist know. I was having a number of "odd" problems with my teeth, and the supplements (I took over the counter) were the problem. Good luck! Tooth problems are awful.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Are you taking calcium supplements, either prescription or over the counter? If you are, let your dentist know. I was having a number of "odd" problems with my teeth, and the supplements (I took over the counter) were the problem. Good luck! Tooth problems are awful.
oooooh..... I have to take lots of Calcium and Vit D for my Vit D Deficiency...hmm

Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
They advertise some toothpaste on TV now that seems like it counteracts what the OP is talking about.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM

I take a calcium/magnesium/boron supplement, plus I take a teaspoon of cod liver oil daily for the Vit. D. I'm on hypothyroid meds, which can effect bone density levels. I had a dexa-scan which shows everything to be fine there, and I take the calcium to counteract the effect from the meds.

I just went to the dentist today - the answer I got was that this is what happens when we get 'older.' I said that my parents, who are in their 70's, don't have this problem with their teeth, why would I have this at 49?

I did not get helpful answers today, but I'm not done yet. I'll figure this one out eventually. I was thinking of contacting a local university's school of Dentistry to see if they'd see me and help figure this out.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:18 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
I really don't know if this is your problem
But my daughter at age 15 had a problem with one of her teeth. The dentist said it was extremely RARE at her age. I can't remember exactly what he called it, but he said it is normally something you might see in a 70-80 year old person, if they still had their natural teeth. The first dentist wouldn't touch it and sent her to an orthodontist. He said it's a case where the tooth starts rotting from the inside out...instead of the normal decay. They both also said it has NOTHING to do with hygiene, that it just happens. And that tooth was sort of transparent as you described.
They rushed her in to get a root canal in order to try and save the tooth...so far so good and she's 17 now...you might want to get it checked out!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 16,125 times
I woke up this morning and noticed that two of my front teeth had really white patches on them, and the others had what looked like white streaks. I started taking calcium pills last week, and that is the only thing that i have changed. I too have very healthy teeth, so this really freaked me out. I am going to call my dentist this week. I am only 24 and am scared about my teeth going bad....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health