Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 AM

98 posts, read 204,501 times

Advertisements

Oooh, I like this thread. I am into the indie sound, not so much singer song writer/coffee house, but more electro or indie-pop...or just straight up indie rock.

I looked at Westword and it looks like the Hi-Dive may be a place I will like once I get there...Larimer Lounge, Ogden Theatre, Fox Theatre, Bluebird Theatre. I can't wait to try these places out when my favorite bands come through! Once I move to Denver of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 04:11 PM

556 posts, read 1,201,230 times
Quote:
This is a one-time, four day event. In other words, a tour.
the vast majority of these bands are local groups that play regularly in denver. only a handful seem to be from out of state.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,963 times
There seems to be a disconnect between the opinion of us musicians and the public regarding the quality of the local scene. Any other professional musicians on here care to chime in?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 PM

39 posts, read 92,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
There seems to be a disconnect between the opinion of us musicians and the public regarding the quality of the local scene. Any other professional musicians on here care to chime in?
With all due respect, 80skeys, in earlier posts you stated that you play 80s cover music and thought that the Underground Music Festival was full of touring acts. The Original Poster asked about original Indie Music in Denver. Most of the musicians I know agree that Denver isn't Austin, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, or New York, but it has churned out some pretty successful, critically acclaimed artists over the past few years. This is largely due to the efforts of club owners and local promoters who put on events like the UMC and Monolith Festival at Red Rocks. These have been great showcases of local talent and have led to increasing support in the music scene.

At this South by Southwest Music Festival in Austin, which I was fortunate to attend, Denver artists were organized enough and supported enough (rather importantly) to have hosted a number of private events featuring Denver-based acts. They received quite a bit of positive buzz down there. In the "jam" scene, which I'm not as familiar with, Denver and Boulder has consistently had bands rise to national touring success. Many of these bands began by playing small clubs on the Front Range.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geef View Post
With all due respect, 80skeys, in earlier posts you stated that you play 80s cover music and thought that the Underground Music Festival was full of touring acts. The Original Poster asked about original Indie Music in Denver. Most of the musicians I know agree that Denver isn't Austin, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, or New York, but it has churned out some pretty successful, critically acclaimed artists over the past few years.
We're talking about different things. Any town can produce famous talent, but I'm talking about the availability of venues for normal musicians such as myself to play. Denver is lacking in this regard because the public's taste is more geared towards the occasional show or special performance rather than the consistent regular venues. That's what I meant by "tours." I shoudl have used the term "special performance" instead.

Quote:
This is largely due to the efforts of club owners and local promoters who put on events like the UMC and Monolith Festival at Red Rocks. These have been great showcases of local talent and have led to increasing support in the music scene.
Yes this is basically what I'm talking about. The venues for local musicians are in more the direction of special events than public support for regular gigs.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM

39 posts, read 92,269 times
Okay, it makes sense in that respect. You're probably right. Most of the acts that do come out of Denver are striving to be touring acts, so they end up spending much of their time on the road, rather than playing regular gigs.

Quote:
We're talking about different things. Any town can produce famous talent, but I'm talking about the availability of venues for normal musicians such as myself to play. Denver is lacking in this regard because the public's taste is more geared towards the occasional show or special performance rather than the consistent regular venues. That's what I meant by "tours." I shoudl have used the term "special performance" instead.

Yes this is basically what I'm talking about. The venues for local musicians are in more the direction of special events than public support for regular gigs.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geef View Post
Okay, it makes sense in that respect. You're probably right. Most of the acts that do come out of Denver are striving to be touring acts, so they end up spending much of their time on the road, rather than playing regular gigs.
Nothing wrong with that, but it makes it difficult for those of us wanting to stick around and do our regular thing

Old 04-03-2011, 05:28 PM

129 posts, read 212,136 times
I'm also a musician, and fairly new to Denver... I was a little surprised at the lack of a real "local scene", in terms of a club scene in which bands can play regularly, build a following, & develop skills at performing. This one reason why very few newer artists can tour successfully, as in past times. Not coming up with much live playing experience, they've got no real "show"; & you can't just toss in a bunch of dancers & flashy stuff, as you can in a video, & expect it to entertain a crowd for an hour & a half....

There seems to be clubs that "showcase" many of the hundreds of "indy bands", with 3 or 4 bands playing a set each, every night. And from what I read, they seem to change up personnel more often than Hef changes live-in "girlfriends". This also makes following one's favorite band difficult, cause they change up so much.

Then there are the "dive bars" featuring blues & maybe R&B most often, & they're cool, very few "jazz clubs", in fact only one that I know of, that has jazz all the time (Dazzle's), & then a bunch of neighborhood bars that have weekend bands, playing a blend of classic rock & mainstream R&B tunes. Most of them seem a bit stuck in playing most of the same tunes, which makes it real hard to remember which band is which, & puzzles me, too, cause if the main point is to provide music people can dance to, why play all the same songs?

Where I came from (Atlanta), bands would only play those very generic (way over-played) tunes for weddings or corporate parties, where at least you're making a lot of money to have to do so.... I've also seen too many bands playing rock, yet without doing so with a 100% total energy level, which IMHO, is much like having sex without....well, let's just say, limply. What is up with all this? I used to live in Boulder/Ft. Collins over 30 years ago, when I was college-age, and there were lots of great bands, creative, adventurous, talented, on fire, passionate, and it was great.

Maybe I've just not seen the right bands, or hit the right clubs, etc. I'm into most all kinds of music, & my standard is simply that the players are being authentic, expressing themselves in the moment, listen to & play off each other, & put their all into what they are doing, not just going through the motions. Connection is where it's at, just playing the correct chords, & singing the right lyrics, is not enough, especially when we musicians must compete with hi-tech DJs, when people are going out at night to hear some music.

Also, I don't agree that Westword lists all the places & bands performing around town. I see only a limited list, and many of the places shown only say live music, or the specific genre, but no names of performers. Now that is most likely the fault (& laziness) of the venues, but really, how hard is it to send off a month's calendar to Westword & the Post, to be listed, FOR FREE? Yet the same club owners will complain about business, not pay very much, & expect the bands to be solely responsible for packing their place, even though the place won't even do free marketing....

Old 04-04-2011, 06:17 PM

120 posts, read 383,563 times
Quote:
We're talking about different things. Any town can produce famous talent, but I'm talking about the availability of venues for normal musicians such as myself to play. Denver is lacking in this regard because the public's taste is more geared towards the occasional show or special performance rather than the consistent regular venues. That's what I meant by "tours." I shoudl have used the term "special performance" instead....
Like he said. Not much of a local scene.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 PM

556 posts, read 1,201,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston2denver View Post
Like he said. Not much of a local scene.
hey boston2denver, are you familiar with boston groups like club d'elf and session americana? they've had weekly residencies in cambridge going on 10+ years. lots of berklee alums. there's nothing like that here in denver that i am aware of. i do miss that scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver