Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 PM

120 posts, read 383,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
hey boston2denver, are you familiar with boston groups like club d'elf and session americana? they've had weekly residencies in cambridge going on 10+ years. lots of berklee alums. there's nothing like that here in denver that i am aware of. i do miss that scene.
Wo! Wasn't expecting either of these to be mentioned here. I'm aware of both, but never been. Been to Wally's, which is a dump, but a fun place to play. Before earning a masters in my profession I actually did my undergrad at Berklee. Just love music. There are so many opportunities to play with people in Boston, I never had to look far.

I've met up and played with some people here, but I'm done with that. It hasn't been what I'm use to which is call out a tune, a key, and play. I'm sure it doesn't help that I just enjoy playing and am not interested in 'working out' tunes, nor am I looking to get gigs. Not interested in making it a profession.

I've never been to the open jam session at Swallow Hill but plan to go one day. Maye it's awesome! Maybe it's not. Only one way to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:13 PM

129 posts, read 211,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston2denver View Post
WThere are so many opportunities to play with people in Boston, I never had to look far.

I've met up and played with some people here, but I'm done with that. It hasn't been what I'm use to which is call out a tune, a key, and play. I'm sure it doesn't help that I just enjoy playing and am not interested in 'working out' tunes, nor am I looking to get gigs. Not interested in making it a profession.

I've never been to the open jam session at Swallow Hill but plan to go one day. Maye it's awesome! Maybe it's not. Only one way to find out.
Actually, I would think not wanting to make a profession of playing would make it easier for you to get out and play, just for fun, since there seems to be no shortage of "jam sessions" & "open mics" at clubs all over town, & on most nights of the week. I actually haven't been yet to any "jazz jams", maybe cause I'd like to know ahead of time, what the vibe is, if it's mainly straight ahead or not, & if there's really "jamming" going on, or just guys wanting to play on tunes they've worked out solos for, & not really earnest about listening to others, and really creating something in the moment... But I should go see.

Of course there's blues jams all over, & as long as the playing quality is high, and the cats are really feeling what they're doing, then I'm down with that. Blues is the root of our other music, Rock, R&B, & Jazz, & even Country.... Haven't really come across any "Rock jams", other than sitting in with bands, which can be fun, again, depending on the "passion-level", cause playing Rock at an 80% intensity, just don't make it. And unfortunately, I've seen a number of rock/r&b cover bands basically three-quarter their way thru the music.

And yeah, boston2denver, I got spoiled in Atlanta, with lots of players where you can just call a tune & key, and go to town. I've even done two hour concerts with zero rehearsal, & some of the guys just meeting each other on the gig. Of course, that was also true when I used to live & play in LA, since there are tons of happening players. I hope to find more players here who can just go full on from jump, secure enough, & with "ears", to just make winging it, sound like we're a well-rehearsed band. Or at least by having some basic chord charts, can confidently play...

Finally, and this is to everyone, do you think there's an audience that would come out and support a nice "supper club" kind of Jazz place, a nice, comfortable spot, with good sound, good music & food? I would think so, but I've not really seen any around, well beyond say Jazz at Jacks or Dazzles. I'd think some of the more suburban, yuppie/baby boomer, upscale kind of areas might be good spots to do something like that. Yes, no, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver