Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,023 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I'm moving to Denver in a month from the Midwest to start grad school. I've been overwhelmed looking at neighborhoods and apartments so far so I was hoping to find some local advice. I will be attending DU, so I'd like to find somewhere close to there or at least close to a light rail station. I want somewhere that's relatively quiet, close to parks and shopping, but not too far from action (bars/restaurants) on the weekends. I definitely do not want to be living somewhere that's overrun with undergrads though, so I've ruled out the immediate neighborhood around DU. Are there any neighborhoods someone could suggest? Any other advice about the Denver area (ie neighborhoods to avoid?) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernity View Post
Hey there. I'm moving to Denver in a month from the Midwest to start grad school. I've been overwhelmed looking at neighborhoods and apartments so far so I was hoping to find some local advice. I will be attending DU, so I'd like to find somewhere close to there or at least close to a light rail station. I want somewhere that's relatively quiet, close to parks and shopping, but not too far from action (bars/restaurants) on the weekends. I definitely do not want to be living somewhere that's overrun with undergrads though, so I've ruled out the immediate neighborhood around DU. Are there any neighborhoods someone could suggest? Any other advice about the Denver area (ie neighborhoods to avoid?) ?
One of my friends rented a house (with other grad students) that was still near DU, but farther away from the undergrads. The house was in the area that is bordered by I-25 to the north, Steele St to the west, Colorado Blvd to the east, and Buchtel Blvd to the south. Even though it was near the freeway, the neighborhood was quiet, far enough away from the undergrads, yet still close to everything at DU.

Another option could be Wash Park West. It depends on how much you want to spend. I don't think any of the neighborhoods near DU are truly awful.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
My daughter had an apt. just south of University and Evans when she was in grad school at the Health Science Center. There were not a lot of undergrads in her building, nor did it seem like there were loads of them in the general area. The last I knew, DU required freshmen AND sophomores to live in the dorms, so that makes the undergrads living in apts a little older.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Whenever I'm driving around DU (which, truth be told is not often seeing as how I live on the Western Slope), it seems like the neighborhoods are quite peaceful.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 PM

30 posts, read 71,873 times
The neighborhoods near DU are great, even close to the school. However, for light rail access, try Platt Park--start the center of your search at Pearl & Louisiana & go from there. North of I-25 from there (Wash Park) will cost you more. South of there, especially south of Yale but north of Hampden (Englewood) will save you lots of $$ and is still nice. None of these areas is an expensive cab ride from downtown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver