Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Why is it that residents in Denver love to smacktalk the 16th St. Mall? As a tourist, I didn't think it was that bad. It's not overly Disneyfied and seemed pretty reminiscent of many American downtown streets. The only thing I found annoying was the busses. I think a trolley/streetcar would do better (maybe extend it past the state house and down East Colfax).

To me, it seemed 16th street the busiest street for pedestrian activity downtown. How do you think it could be improved, what would be a better draw for it?
The 16th St. Mall rocks. It's the best thing in Denver. I've never meet a visitor to Denver, who wasn't impressed by it. The design is fantastic. It's truly world class.

As for how to improve it. Leave it the hell alone. Clean it, maintain it, and thats it.

YouTube - Breath in Music: The Beat of Downtown Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I do think one of the current plans on the books for the Union Station improvements involves moving the shuttles to 15th and 17th and converting the mall into a full pedestrian thoroughfare.
Last I heard those plans are dead. Thank goodness. Some people just want to try and fix, what ain't broken.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 PM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times
nice video. I like 16th street. It's another vibrant area. I think it complements the city. What makes cities special is having different areas. I work downtown and like sitting outside for lunch on 16th street and people watching. I also like that the shuttle is free.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:12 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Last I heard those plans are dead. Thank goodness. Some people just want to try and fix, what ain't broken.
You really think so?

I suppose my complaints about the mall give me the "mall hater" label even though I don't hate it. I don't even think it's "broken" even though I consider it to be lackluster when compared to rest of downtown or other Denver neighborhoods. I don't see why steps can't/shouldn't be taken to attract new stores/restaurants/attractions to fill some of the vacant storefronts, etc.

Also, as a disclaimer, I see the mall every day, Monday through Friday, from approximately noon to 1PM, so I'm not one of those people who are 'afraid of it' or otherwise offer criticism from afar. I just feel like it's a good start, but could be improved.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
You really think so?
Thats what the Denver Post reported. I don't have any reason to believe it's not true.

Panel retains 16th Street mall layout - The Denver Post

Quote:
I suppose my complaints about the mall give me the "mall hater" label even though I don't hate it. I don't even think it's "broken" even though I consider it to be lackluster when compared to rest of downtown or other Denver neighborhoods. I don't see why steps can't/shouldn't be taken to attract new stores/restaurants/attractions to fill some of the vacant storefronts, etc.
It's a transit/pedestrian mall, not a shopping mall. It's only purpose is to provide transit service, and attract pedestrians, and it does both of those things very well.

As has been pointed out, the stores are the same chain stores found in every other US city. To blame the mall for the general lackluster quality of the US retail industry doesn't make a lot of sense. It's highly unlikely that changes to the mall would change the mix of stores in Downtown Denver. Taking the buses off 16th St. is going to attract better stores and restaurants? I don't think so.

Which doesn't change the fact that the 16th St. Mall is still the single greatest and most successful pedestrian mall anywhere in the United States, and probably most of the world.

Quote:
Also, as a disclaimer, I see the mall every day, Monday through Friday, from approximately noon to 1PM, so I'm not one of those people who are 'afraid of it' or otherwise offer criticism from afar. I just feel like it's a good start, but could be improved.
It sounds like you are just tired of it, so you want to see a change, for the sake of change. Suggestion, if you want better shopping, go to Cherry Creak, or any other boring cookie-cutter suburban shopping mall. If you want to watch people in a unique urban experience, spend some time on the 16th St. Mall. It doesn't get any better then that.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 PM

205 posts, read 503,739 times
This post got me thinking about pedestrian areas in other cities that I've visited. One that comes to mind is Grafton St in Dublin. When I went there, I thought it was great, but if I wonder if I were a Dublin resident if my opinion would change or if I'd have as much of a reason to go there.

I'm not a mall hater at all. The 16th st. mall is a success and one of the few pedestrian malls in the country that haven't been ripped out and opened back up to traffic. The mall does have a lot going for it. The design of the mall pavers is fantastic, the shuttle is convenient and free, and it has some cool architecture. Having said that, I do think that there are things that could be improved - especially for people who live nearby. One thing is the variety and quality of the shops and restaurants. Being local, I'm not going to go downtown to eat at Chili's or buy a souvenir shot glass. If I worked downtown, having the banks, fast food, etc. would be convenient, but since I don't, there really isn't a whole lot to draw me to the mall. Another, is better integration with the cross streets. The mall is really long and for a large stretch of it, 15th is kind of desolate. I think it would be cool if there was more for the pedestrian on the cross streets and 15th. Grafton in Dublin does branch into side streets. I'd like the 16th st mall to take its inspiration from Larimer Square. It has, IMO, a better mix of chain and local options and offers something to a lot of people.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Moved to the Colorado Springs area a few years ago. I miss the 16th st mall and the concept of the mall. I am really glad I live close to the Denver Metro area.

There are so many wonderful things about Colorado Springs, the hearts of the people, the air, the trails, the beauty; if you are looking for mass transit.....forget about it. Molly

Last edited by mollygee; 08-18-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 12:19 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
I just visited Denver last weekend for the first time, and I have to say, the 16th street mall was my least favorite part. I liked the concept and the fact that people were out during the day walking it. I also liked the free transportation service. However, I just did NOT like the restaurants or establishments that were populated everywhere. It seemed very chain-oriented. I think that if there were more small businesses that provided unique shops and restaurants, I would like it much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver