Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:48 PM

61 posts, read 164,246 times

Advertisements

First off, "HELLO" to everyone here since this is my first post. My name is Tracey, but everyone just calls me BigTrace.

I've read quite a bit on here regarding taxes, neighborhoods, weather etc. and I'm still curious about moving from the San Diego area to a suburb of Denver or maybe Ft. Collins or Colorado Springs, still not sure, just doing some preliminary research.

In about 3 years, I will have the opportunity to move. My daughter will be graduated from high school, my father (who lives with me) unfortunately will more than likely succumb to his medical conditions and I will be going into semi-retirement mode. I'll be 45 by then. I've been very blessed in my life and have made some good decisions with the money i've earned. My current home is on an acre of land in the suburb of El Cajon about 20 miles east of downtown San Diego. It's a 4400 sqft. main house with a 1200 sqft. guest house where my dad lives.

I was born and raised here in San Diego but that was a different San Diego and now it's just overrun with sprawl, traffic, rude people and insane taxes. Yes, the weather is to die for, but i'm not going to die for it!

In my spare time, i've done some research on area's I might like to live. My girlfriend is all for it so sooner or later, I want to just up and leave. Right now, her Daughter is going to the University of Denver in downtown so we went there a few months ago and it was really nice. I've been to Denver only 3 times so I'm a newbie for sure.

I'll be looking to size down for sometime. Having a fully landscaped acre is a lot more problems than its worth, but my problem is I like my toys, namely my 40' RV and my Jeep. With your help, here's what I'd like to have in the future if it exists without building it myself:

- a Nice newer home, in a good neighborhood maybe with some golf or water features.
- a 2000 - 2500 sqft. 3 br 3 ba, single story executive type home with a detached or attached RV garage
- A lot big enough to fit this configuration and give me "some" privacy, maybe a half acre with driveways and some frontage
- has to be in a neighborhood where I can get to a grocery store, dining, bank, strip centers within just a few minutes. Would be great to walk to them as well if possible.
- Not against HOA's, but not for them either. Better if it doesn't have one, but can live with it if the community amenities are worth it.
- I love sports so being in the Denver area is good for that over say Boise, but that is another area I am looking at too.
- I also love the outdoors and love to Jeep so again, another plus for Colorado in general. Moab here I come!!

I'm really simple. I like the Costco approach to life... Best bang for your buck. It's made me successful as I can easily live within my means. I get along well with most everyone, but I tend to be on the more conservative side. In other words, lets not talk Obama, you might not like what I've got to say Anyhow, I think I'd be better off with people of similar mindsets although, again, I do get along pretty well with everyone.

I'd love to find a home with a basement, make my own "man cave" media room for the cold winter days. Maybe a poker table or something to have a gathering in during the colder months.

Anyhow, I know this is WAY preliminary, but the more facts I can gather now, the more planning I can do and if I run across a dirt lot that makes sense now, well, I might be able to swing a deal for later.

Thank you in advance for reading this. I know it's lengthy, but I really wanted some good advice so when I go visit my girlfriends daughter, I can do some sight seeing and know where I want to look!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 07:34 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,087,656 times
Maybe Parker ...larger lot's and all. It's nice and shopping is close.
I am confused, however, about why you would want a basement for the winter months. Usually, it's a gathering place to escape the heat of the summer.
Of course, anytime is good for a basement.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 AM

26,238 posts, read 49,123,150 times
Trace, what you seek can be found here, may take some doing. Most newer areas here have such small lots that an outsized RV shelter won't be allowed, and most likely not enough space on the side of the house to allow building a driveway to access to the back yard. Most places with HOA covenants specify the special garage, space permitting, if in concert with the home and community standards.

Many older suburbs have no covenants. Outlying areas would have the space and freedom needed for that garage.

There actually are areas right smack in COLO SPGS that have the space and leeway you desire, not to mention many outlying areas. Same for areas in the Denver metro area, Fort Collins, etc.

Denver has all five pro sports, COLO SPGS only have AAA baseball (Skysox) and college sports (USAF Academy, COLO College).

There are some places between Denver and COLO SPGS to consider. Heading north from COLO SPGS, there's Monument, Palmer Lake, Larkspur, Castle Rock, and Parker.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:24 AM

61 posts, read 164,246 times
Thanks for all the replies thus far. SheridanL, you gave me another viewpoint for a basement and that's to escape the heat. I've never owned one before, but when I visited the last time, I drove us out to Golden to take the Coors Brewery Tour (my 2nd time). Anyhow, along the way, I noticed a new KB development going up so we decided to stop. What an eye opener! One of the models had a fully finished basement with a game room, media room and bar area (nevermind another bedroom) while the upstairs main level had some bedrooms and living area. Anyhow, I thought to myself because of the snow and cold, they make the houses bigger to avoid becoming stir crazy. Never thought of it for the heat since the Denver Area doesn't seem to get much above 90 from what I can tell (and it's a dry heat!)

Mike, I'll check out Colorado Springs too. I understand it's also a bit more conservative as opposed to Denver being a bit more liberal. I'm a right leaning moderate so I definitely couldn't handle places like Portland or Flagstaff (no offense to either of those 2 areas, they are beautiful in their own respects) but I couldn't be there for to long considering the atmosphere and culture that surrounds it.

Thanks

Old 09-04-2010, 11:51 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,259,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrace View Post
Thanks for all the replies thus far. SheridanL, you gave me another viewpoint for a basement and that's to escape the heat. I've never owned one before, but when I visited the last time, I drove us out to Golden to take the Coors Brewery Tour (my 2nd time). Anyhow, along the way, I noticed a new KB development going up so we decided to stop. What an eye opener! One of the models had a fully finished basement with a game room, media room and bar area (nevermind another bedroom) while the upstairs main level had some bedrooms and living area. Anyhow, I thought to myself because of the snow and cold, they make the houses bigger to avoid becoming stir crazy. Never thought of it for the heat since the Denver Area doesn't seem to get much above 90 from what I can tell (and it's a dry heat!)

Mike, I'll check out Colorado Springs too. I understand it's also a bit more conservative as opposed to Denver being a bit more liberal. I'm a right leaning moderate so I definitely couldn't handle places like Portland or Flagstaff (no offense to either of those 2 areas, they are beautiful in their own respects) but I couldn't be there for to long considering the atmosphere and culture that surrounds it.

Thanks
Then you'd probably hate the city of Denver. Plus it's fairly dense and lots are small to tiny. But small lots and liberal neighbors are things I love about Denver.

As for basements, I don't know why some areas in the U.S. have them and others don't. We moved here from California and I found basements in a few homes that were over 100 years old in California, but I always figured that houses were so expensive there that adding a basement would just make them more expensive. We have a finished basement and it makes our house feel like 3 stories. And it came in handy this summer when our A/C went out while it was over 100 degrees! In winter, we do run a space heater if someone is using the guest room/bath in our basement.

We've had many days well into the 90s this summer, so it might actually be hotter than you're used to, although I think CS is a few degrees cooler due to higher elevation than Denver. Winter isn't always so cold you're stuck inside either. But pay attention to how your house here is situated on its lot. We didn't, and the north side is our yard and where many of our windows are located, so we get zero sun in winter coming in many of our windows. Ideally you'd have your main living areas facing south or SW so you get lots of winter sun, which will save on your heating bills and just make your house feel less dreary in winter.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:57 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,132,616 times
I think I can help you with this one.

There are some new homes in a subdivision call Meadowbrook Heights in unincorporated south Jefferson County. This homes start in the high 300s and their sign promises larger lots (about 1/4 - 1/3 acre I think) and RV parking possible. This is very rare for new homes.

The area immediately to the north and east of Meadowbrook Heights also will fit this description. This area is full of homes that were built by the owners, it is not a planned community. Many of these homes are custom built and have RV parking and oversized garages for toys, etc.

As for some of the amenities around this area: Two supermarkets are within a mile of this area, along with restaurants and stores. There is a major mall about 3 miles away. Chatfield Reservoir/State Park is a mile away, there are some very good public and public/private golf courses nearby, and you are 5 minutes from being in the mountains.

Here are the boundary streets of the areas you might want to concentrate on:

Meadowbrook Heights:
Sales office is on Estes St and Chatfield Ave.

Area 1
North: Ken Caryl Ave
East: Carr St.
West: Garrison St
South: Chatfield Ave

Area 2
North: Chatfield Ave
South: C-470
East: Wadsworth Blvd
West: Carr St.

The zip code for the area is 80128

Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 PM

529 posts, read 1,327,134 times
Quote:
I was born and raised here in San Diego but that was a different San Diego and now it's just overrun with sprawl, traffic, rude people and insane taxes. Yes, the weather is to die for, but i'm not going to die for it!
You won't be able to escape crowds or traffic or rude people in Colorado. Sprawl-a-Lot-o Springs to Fort Sprawlins is nothing but one big sprawl. CO appears to be the final destination for both coasts. Californians have about the same regard to natives as Texans. Both types of transplants seem ok to me. New Englanders (in particular Bostonians) not so much. With the influx of people expecting so much service from the government, don't expect taxes to stay low but from what I read they are much lower than those in California. Must be that services thing. Traffic slows to a crawl in the mountains during the summer, sounds like you are used to that.

Quote:
I'll be looking to size down for sometime. Having a fully landscaped acre is a lot more problems than its worth, but my problem is I like my toys, namely my 40' RV and my Jeep. With your help, here's what I'd like to have in the future if it exists without building it myself:

- a Nice newer home, in a good neighborhood maybe with some golf or water features.
- a 2000 - 2500 sqft. 3 br 3 ba, single story executive type home with a detached or attached RV garage
- A lot big enough to fit this configuration and give me "some" privacy, maybe a half acre with driveways and some frontage
- has to be in a neighborhood where I can get to a grocery store, dining, bank, strip centers within just a few minutes. Would be great to walk to them as well if possible.
- Not against HOA's, but not for them either. Better if it doesn't have one, but can live with it if the community amenities are worth it.
Sounds like you have plenty of money to do this if you are going to semi-retire at the ripe old age of 45! Your housing requirements can certainly be easily met anywhere in the Front Range Blob. Based on the other Colorado threads, having money is one of the prime keys for a successful Colorado endeavor.

Quote:

- I also love the outdoors and love to Jeep so again, another plus for Colorado in general. Moab here I come!!
The park service is constantly reviewing pressure by people on the park system and are closing more and more roads to motorized traffic all the time. They have closed many roads down here in NM over the last several years.

Quote:
I'm really simple. I like the Costco approach to life... Best bang for your buck. It's made me successful as I can easily live within my means. I get along well with most everyone, but I tend to be on the more conservative side. In other words, lets not talk Obama, you might not like what I've got to say Anyhow, I think I'd be better off with people of similar mindsets although, again, I do get along pretty well with everyone.
Politics is always a dangerous subject. CO Springs is conservative, for now. I say CO needs your vote to counter balance the liberals moving to Colorado.

Quote:
I'd love to find a home with a basement, make my own "man cave" media room for the cold winter days. Maybe a poker table or something to have a gathering in during the colder months.
Basements ARE cool. They are also a collection point for moisture, mold and radon gas.

Last edited by Ziasforever; 09-04-2010 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 08:53 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,045,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Then you'd probably hate the city of Denver. Plus it's fairly dense and lots are small to tiny. But small lots and liberal neighbors are things I love about Denver.
Agreed, Denver is a great city, but it does not sound like what the OP is looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
As for basements, I don't know why some areas in the U.S. have them and others don't.
Basements are generally the preferred construction method, for cold weather climates. The main purpose is for the heating system, not for extra space. The solution for extra space is usually a second story. Which might be cheaper then a basement.

If you live in a cold climate, chances are you have a basement. If you live in a warm climate, chances are you don't.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:34 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,045,533 times
Quote:
Why would you think that Denver should be a good alternative to that? You are talking about two pretty similar size cities. But with Denver being minus the mild climate of San Diego.

Quote:

- I love sports so being in the Denver area is good for that over say Boise, but that is another area I am looking at too.
If outdoors activities are so important, and Moab will be a frequent destination, then why are you looking at a place six hours away from all that? Why not just live someplace on the Western Slope, so you can be near that? And have most of the other things on your list, which you are unlikely to find in Denver.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,258,192 times
Basements are common in cold climates because foundations must go BELOW the frost level. If you've gotta dig down 5 feet for the foundation, it doesn't cost that much more to go a few more feet and have a basement.

I don't think I'd finish a basement in a new home until I'd been in it through a wet spring. Even then, I'd be careful what you put on the walls and keep carpet to a minimum until you're certain. In my experience moisture just finds a way to get into basements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver