Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,809 times

Advertisements

Moving to Denver from the deep south. Have several questions for you all. We were in Denver last weekend and looked at several areas. Really liked Golden, Broomfield, Lakewood and parts of Westminster, Louisville and Lafayette. We have two boys one in K and the other in daycare. What are the good schools and is there affordable daycare in these areas? Will be renting for a year or two but would like to rent where we plan to buy. Possible at 1200-1600 month? I will have a job that pays 100-110k per year starting. My wife will be looking to work in a library setting.( anyone know about potential there?) We really loved all of the kids and families all of the outdoors activities and open spaces and all of the museums and sports teams. It just seems really awesome. Before moving to the south we lived in Minneapolis and loved it as well. Denver seems similar to us just not as many long winters. Can you suggest sites for rentals? Schools systems to avoid and even the ease of making new friends. We will know a few people but not too many to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Most of the information you want is on this site. Doing a search for "schools" will give you much information. Any of the locations you are interested in will be fine. School districts in those communities are good. You could probably find a house to rent (at least a townhouse), and most definitely an apt. in your price range. It's been a long time since I used day care, but it wasn't *too* expensive when I used it, and I'd guess that is the situation now. I don't know much about working in libraries. I do know that libraries are taking a hit in the recession, cutting back hours, closing some branches.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 PM

22 posts, read 35,702 times
Hello from Littleton CO!

You should be able to find a good selection of 3-4 bedroom homes for rent in the $1200-$1600 price range in the areas you mentioned. Rentometer.com can give you some estimates of rental rates and availabilities, and of course, Craigslist (watch out for the scams though!)

Schools in Jefferson County (west metro Denver) typically rank well (Westminster, Golden, Lakewood, might add Arvada and Littleton), but like most areas, the economy is forcing cut backs.

I think alot will depend on where you will work and what kind of commute you will be confortable with. Traffic along I-25 and I-70 through the metro area can be miserable during peak times and winter conditions - good to keep in mind.

Hope this helps!

Bryan

Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,488 times
Hi, coming from the deep south as well, I just love Colorado. The people are nice, the weather is great, much more activities are being done, alot of parks to choose from. Everything will be just fine. These two apartment sites helped me alot to find a place, hopefully they help you. The first one helped more on finding amenities and prices, the second one was more for location, but they work great hand in hand. Enjoy!

My Apartment Map Apartment Rental Search. Map Based Listings of Apartments for Rent

Houses and Apartments for Rent on HotPads

Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,809 times
j96g.What part of the country did you move to Colorado from? We are coming from Birmingham Al. Thank you for the links. I am already starting to use them in my search.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,488 times
Rio Grande Valley of Texas.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,654 times
Reading this helped. My wife and I are trying to move from Lafayette, LA at the end of February 2011. We need a place to live before worrying about jobs. My wife is a disabled veteran and doesn't work, but I'd like to work in Logistics, Order management. Anyone have head hunting agency information?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:41 PM

529 posts, read 1,326,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid2112 View Post
Moving to Denver from the deep south. Have several questions for you all. We were in Denver last weekend and looked at several areas. Really liked Golden, Broomfield, Lakewood and parts of Westminster, Louisville and Lafayette. We have two boys one in K and the other in daycare. What are the good schools and is there affordable daycare in these areas? Will be renting for a year or two but would like to rent where we plan to buy. Possible at 1200-1600 month? I will have a job that pays 100-110k per year starting. My wife will be looking to work in a library setting.( anyone know about potential there?) We really loved all of the kids and families all of the outdoors activities and open spaces and all of the museums and sports teams. It just seems really awesome. Before moving to the south we lived in Minneapolis and loved it as well. Denver seems similar to us just not as many long winters. Can you suggest sites for rentals? Schools systems to avoid and even the ease of making new friends. We will know a few people but not too many to start.
If you're going to make that much money, you should bump up your rental price range about $400 to $600 and get into the Cherry Creek Schools. They're supposed to be some of the best in Denver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver