Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 PM

7 posts, read 15,456 times

Advertisements

... Italian/Puerto Rican. I am also a vegetarian, holistic Esthetician (will also be looking for a job at a Spa, etc), PETA/ MFA/ GreenPeace/ Public Radio (NPR, etc) supporter. ... I intend to rent a studio or one bedroom apartment which will accept my two dogs (one is a 20lb pug- the other is a 75lb mixed breed Boxer/Rottweiler, proving more difficult than I hoped to find housing for my bigger dogger). I'll likely have to live on the broke for a bit until I develop a clientle, so less rent is better than more (even though I definitely have Champagne taste- with my Beer budget).

This move is a huge leap of faith for me. In Colorado- I have no family, friends, job, very little money. But I do have great excitement to do this Denver thing. I'm soo looking forward to 300+ days of sunshine, mountains, cleaner air/environment, 'greener' people, a healthier overall lifestyle, and a new fresh beginning.

Any recommendations for a potential place to live, work, yoga/meditate, walk/bike, enjoy culture, good food, drink a cocktail, listen to live music (jazz, world), dance to dj'd beats, etc etc are very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance. And I look forward with great anticipation to loving your amazing city. :-)

And P.S. This is my first post on this board. I just found it today while trying to do reserach on the diversity of Denver. I spent 2 hours perusing other people's comments before submitting my question. I have a bit better of an idea, but still feel so overwhelmed when thinking of choosing an area to look for a place to call my new *home*. Regards. x&o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavelleVelez View Post
... Italian/Puerto Rican. I am also a vegetarian, holistic Esthetician (will also be looking for a job at a Spa, etc), PETA/ MFA/ GreenPeace/ Public Radio (NPR, etc) supporter. ... I intend to rent a studio or one bedroom apartment which will accept my two dogs (one is a 20lb pug- the other is a 75lb mixed breed Boxer/Rottweiler, proving more difficult than I hoped to find housing for my bigger dogger). I'll likely have to live on the broke for a bit until I develop a clientle, so less rent is better than more (even though I definitely have Champagne taste- with my Beer budget).

This move is a huge leap of faith for me. In Colorado- I have no family, friends, job, very little money. But I do have great excitement to do this Denver thing. I'm soo looking forward to 300+ days of sunshine, mountains, cleaner air/environment, 'greener' people, a healthier overall lifestyle, and a new fresh beginning.

Any recommendations for a potential place to live, work, yoga/meditate, walk/bike, enjoy culture, good food, drink a cocktail, listen to live music (jazz, world), dance to dj'd beats, etc etc are very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance. And I look forward with great anticipation to loving your amazing city. :-)

And P.S. This is my first post on this board. I just found it today while trying to do reserach on the diversity of Denver. I spent 2 hours perusing other people's comments before submitting my question. I have a bit better of an idea, but still feel so overwhelmed when thinking of choosing an area to look for a place to call my new *home*. Regards. x&o
Ask yourself, very carefully, "why Denver?" Have you visited? All the criteria you list above are right off the Chamber of Commerce "gonna sell you on Denver" hitlist and neglect some of the story. There *is* a lot of sunshine, though not quite the way you expect...the lifestyle is healthier (and the opportunities are there to keep it that way if you take them), the mountains are a little further away than you think...not terribly far, but during peak season you'll be devoting a great deal of time to get into them proper...the air is probably cleaner than Chicago, but we still get some intense temperature inversions here (especially in the summer) that can trap a lot of dust and pollutants...as JazzLover is fond of reminding us, brown is a color we see a lot of for much of the year (we're on the prairie, not in the mountains), we do have a little bit of everything, but not of a lot of anything (regarding DJs, music scene, etc...), and Colorado in general will probably require a bit more effort than your expecting when it comes to making good friends...Coloradans can be a bit insular and independent...vegetarian restaurants are around, but not really in the budget conscious category...

Also, though cheaper than Chi-Town, I'm also not sure about coming to Denver without some cash saved up. When we got here, we had a couple thousand dollars and it was very tight...though cheaper than most of America's big cities, Denver is more expensive than many Midwest or Southwest cities...

I don't mean to discourage you at all...it's an amazing city that's developing a very distinct culture and vibe on a national level in a state that is beautiful and varied. Hopefully others will chime in as well, but I just think you should be sure you know what you're getting in to here before uprooting your entire life. It can be a wonderful, exciting, adventurous place to live...but it can also be harsh, lonely and unforgiving...

Personally, I wouldn't trade it for the world, but my expectations were well tempered by the time I made that decision...not in the mountains (check), typically brown rather than green (check), very very dry (check), lacking many of the elements of an international city (check), still sprawling (check), not as cheap as Kansas City, Omaha or Las Vegas (check)...etc...

As far as neighborhoods, you're probably looking at Cap Hill, Five Points, LoDo, Highlands or Lincoln Park...though aside from Five Points and Lincoln Park the rest are going to cost you...and the other two will have their "character" for good and ill (I like both areas, but I am a little more cautious walking around either at night.) Best of luck and feel free to provide more information.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM

Mr. Zenkonami, thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.

I do appreciate your urging to 'very carefully ask myself, why Denver'? I'm certain many people in my life here in Chicago are encouraging me to do the same- and they are as well. Why leave Chicago is the first question, why Denver is the next. ... Yes, I have visited- I traveled there following the Barack Obama hustle bustle a few years back. I have also visited with my s.o., who has a regional office in Broomfield which he oversees (and visits about 2-4 x's per year). While accompanying him during a trip 2 years ago- we/I visited a few cultural attractions in Denver, and took a day trip to Boulder. I loved Boulder, btw- but feel that it is not the best match for me at this time. I don't think I can afford to live comfortably, and also feel like I need a bit more urban (racial diversity, thinking about re-kindling my lipstick lesbian side, still like the occasional nightlife excursion, nice restaurant, museum, culture, etc). Denver has my affections for now.
Yes, I am aware that Denver is not right on the mountains. Boulder is much more so. ... San Diego is more so (I lived there with my parents during the latter half of my elementary years).
Yes, I also know about the seasonal change- but believe the swing will be much less aggressive than in Chicago. I enjoy 4 seasons- I don't enjoy 85-100 humid heat in the Summers, nor do I enjoy 0-30 freezing cold snow in the Winters. 50-80 and dry with as much sun as possible is my preference. I am an Esthetician (& Educator)- so I wear my broad spectrum sun protectant, but I just love love love the sun. I am happy 90% of the time, anyway- but with the sun out, I'm 99%! :-)
If anyone can find a friend- it's me. I am charasmatic and magnetic in many ways. I have a very gregarious personality, and have always been able to meet people where ever I go; restaurants, school/class, libraries, yoga studios, the spa, etc etc. But if it takes some time to do so- quite honestly, some alone time is also what I'm seeking. I'd like to continue my study of Skin Therapy (pursuing advanced education of Aromatherapy, Herbology, Aruveda, Reiki), and also intend to spend some concerted effort of getting into better physical shape (a better- healthier, stronger, even more beautiful body to match my mind/spirit).
Regarding specific locations of where to rent: Thank you for the recommendations. I have found this apartment rental / management company in Denver, Botique Apartments. www.BotiqueApartments.com I'm in love with quite a few of the buildings- not only the themed styles, but the 'green', the social activities, the free wireless internet, etc. Btw, I will be bringing the Sony Vaio notebook, but leaving the television with the s.o. (traveling lightly, and I almost never watch t.v. anyway).
Do you know anything about these Boutique Apartments? I'm leaning toward the Capital Hill locations: Shambhala or Le Cirque ... or Congress Park: Urban Type, Ash (technically in the 'Hale' neighborhood, I guess) ... or Uptown: Aperture, H2o, Rocket ... or Speer: Red Fort. I haven't really read/heard anything about the Speer neighborhood- any opinions?

Thank you for your time. I truly appreciate your (and/or anyone else who may reply) interest in helping out.

Best regards.
x&o

Old 11-23-2010, 03:41 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Based on your post you sound like a city girl. I imagine that you'd love Capitol Hill, Cheesman Park, City Park and Uptown areas and maybe even Baker.

The Boutique apartments would be a nice location and I believe they are cheap and at least some accept dogs. I looked at apartments in one building (can't remember which one) and they had a funky style. I wouldn't have hesitated to live there although I did notice a lot of younger people (early 20's) so it may be noisy late at night.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Thank you, Dorothy! I appreciate your suggestions.

... I'll add Baker to my places to web browse.

And just to clarify- all Boutique Apartments permit dogs, but only up to 35 lbs. So my Pug will qualify. My 75 pounder is proving more difficult to house in a little studio or one bedroom apartment. I may opt to leave him here with my family (who are also dog owners/lovers)- and return home for him once I'm settled in with a job that pays more, and therefore permits more flexibility of my housing.

Best regards. :-)

Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Sounds like Boulder was made for you.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:20 AM

17 posts, read 44,840 times
I like the Capital Hill area, that's where I had lived when I was there (man I want to go back!!!).

Basically areas between Broadway to the West, York to the East, 20th to the north and probably can go anywhere to about 8th to the north. Although I liked the areas along 17th Street. Dont' want to live on or right off of colfax. Sketchy element hang out on that block, but I really like the bars there. I also like being close to City Park, as every sunday in the summer is a free City Park Jazz that draws lots of people. Being in this area you have some good local bars, close to the Fillmore and my favorite bars Sanchos and Pete's MOnkey bar, and you are not too far from downtown.

Loved it in that area, can't speak for anywhere else but that's where I would prefer to live. I should add that that area also has a high gay population and several gay bars, since you mentioned being bi. I too was in my late 20's, early 30s when I lived there. Unfortunately my job ended and I couldn't find one there but hopefully will be back there in the future, great place, you are lucky to be moving there

Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 AM

17 posts, read 44,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavelleVelez View Post
Mr. Zenkonami, thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.

I do appreciate your urging to 'very carefully ask myself, why Denver'? I'm certain many people in my life here in Chicago are encouraging me to do the same- and they are as well. Why leave Chicago is the first question, why Denver is the next. ... Yes, I have visited- I traveled there following the Barack Obama hustle bustle a few years back. I have also visited with my s.o., who has a regional office in Broomfield which he oversees (and visits about 2-4 x's per year). While accompanying him during a trip 2 years ago- we/I visited a few cultural attractions in Denver, and took a day trip to Boulder. I loved Boulder, btw- but feel that it is not the best match for me at this time. I don't think I can afford to live comfortably, and also feel like I need a bit more urban (racial diversity, thinking about re-kindling my lipstick lesbian side, still like the occasional nightlife excursion, nice restaurant, museum, culture, etc). Denver has my affections for now.
Yes, I am aware that Denver is not right on the mountains. Boulder is much more so. ... San Diego is more so (I lived there with my parents during the latter half of my elementary years).
Yes, I also know about the seasonal change- but believe the swing will be much less aggressive than in Chicago. I enjoy 4 seasons- I don't enjoy 85-100 humid heat in the Summers, nor do I enjoy 0-30 freezing cold snow in the Winters. 50-80 and dry with as much sun as possible is my preference. I am an Esthetician (& Educator)- so I wear my broad spectrum sun protectant, but I just love love love the sun. I am happy 90% of the time, anyway- but with the sun out, I'm 99%! :-)
If anyone can find a friend- it's me. I am charasmatic and magnetic in many ways. I have a very gregarious personality, and have always been able to meet people where ever I go; restaurants, school/class, libraries, yoga studios, the spa, etc etc. But if it takes some time to do so- quite honestly, some alone time is also what I'm seeking. I'd like to continue my study of Skin Therapy (pursuing advanced education of Aromatherapy, Herbology, Aruveda, Reiki), and also intend to spend some concerted effort of getting into better physical shape (a better- healthier, stronger, even more beautiful body to match my mind/spirit).
Regarding specific locations of where to rent: Thank you for the recommendations. I have found this apartment rental / management company in Denver, Botique Apartments. www.BotiqueApartments.com I'm in love with quite a few of the buildings- not only the themed styles, but the 'green', the social activities, the free wireless internet, etc. Btw, I will be bringing the Sony Vaio notebook, but leaving the television with the s.o. (traveling lightly, and I almost never watch t.v. anyway).
Do you know anything about these Boutique Apartments? I'm leaning toward the Capital Hill locations: Shambhala or Le Cirque ... or Congress Park: Urban Type, Ash (technically in the 'Hale' neighborhood, I guess) ... or Uptown: Aperture, H2o, Rocket ... or Speer: Red Fort. I haven't really read/heard anything about the Speer neighborhood- any opinions?

Thank you for your time. I truly appreciate your (and/or anyone else who may reply) interest in helping out.

Best regards.
x&o
Don't even question it, Denver is awesome. The summers are phenomenal. May be in the 90's but its bearable because its dry. Little bugs also. Go into the shade and its pleasant. The winters are very mild, much much better than Chicago. Being dryer, its not as bone chilling when it gets cold. The boutique apartments you speak of are right in the area I suggested. I loved it in that area, I think you would. Can't speak of the apartment. If you are looking for cheap rent for the area, if you can be OK without fancy apartment and amenities, I lived at 1878 Vine St apartments, 2 blocks from City park, and a couple of good bars down the street (Vine St Pub and The Thin Man). 1 BR 525 Sq feet was only $535. Amazing for that area. I've also lived at Uptown Square which was really nice, and had loads of amenities, but is costly, especially now.

My concern is coming without a job, it seems like its hard to get a job in Denver, everybody wants to live here its so great.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:35 PM

345 posts, read 974,156 times
You could add the southern portions of Whittier (stay south of about 23rd for best results). The housing is a little cheaper and you might find someone more open to larger dogs.

My neighborhood is Speer (between West Wash Park and Capitol Hill) and I love it.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 AM

4 posts, read 20,468 times
I am a native of the Midwest so the weather here in Denver is much better than anything back there, especially since we don't have the grey winter months with all of our sunshine. The lack of humidity reaps weather benefits primarily in the summer, but also during the winter.

A lot of the other posters are right on regarding locations to live. The Cap Hill and Wash Park areas would be great with Cap Hill being more affordable. Some of the areas to the west of Cap Hill, but east of downtown Denver would also be good. The Safari Club Apartments at 10th & Logan are affordable but according to this:

http://www.ddfl.org/pawpdf/Denver.pdf (broken link)

they have a 25# dog limit. I used to visit some family members there, and it seemed like I saw dogs weighing more than this. Nonetheless this .pdf seems to speak to a lot of apartment options that are pet-friendly, complete with rental rates and contact information.

In closing, I've lived here in the Denver Metro for 5+ years and absolutely love it even though all of my family lives in the Midwest. I wouldn't change the weather and diversity of Denver for anything east of the Mississippi River.

Best Wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver