Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 02:51 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,423 times

Advertisements

Here are some photos of the Platt Park neighborhood of Denver. As in the Highlands photos I posted, I didn't just focus on the most beautiful buildings... just tried to capture the flavor of the area.

I decided to post the photos here in their own separate thread since this neighborhood comes up in discussions fairly often and this way I (or others) can provide a link to this thread rather than embedding the photos on various individual threads.

Louisiana / Pearl Station

Broadway Station

Platt Park -- South Pearl Street Area (Near Lousiana / Pearl Station, 4 Miles south of Downtown)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8508/denver181vs4.jpg (broken link)

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/4279/denver191kk6.jpg (broken link)

Bonus! -- Couple of shots from Hayden Green Mountain Park west of Denver
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1681/denver210nf2.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by MobyLL; 07-15-2007 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:51 PM

49 posts, read 219,072 times
Default Platt Park area (Old South Pearl) -- Photo Tour, Comments Only

very nice. thanks.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Nice shots!

I stumbled on this one while in the room. Platt Park looks very much like a neighborhood here in Atlanta called "Virginia Highlands". Same funky type shops (though I think yours has a larger business area) and nearly the exact same time of bungalo housing architecture, etc. Ours is next to Piedmont Park (Atlanta's version of Central Park if you will), and the homes run around $375,000+. I didn't realize Denver even HAD a light rail system, though. Nice to see.

What are the crime/home prices like there?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

I didn't realize Denver even HAD a light rail system, though. Nice to see.

What are the crime/home prices like there?
Home prices range from around 250K for a small 2 bdrm, 1 ba to 800K + for a new 4 bed, 3 bath. I'd say the typical 3 bed, 2 bath bungalow with a finshed basement and 1500 to 2000 square feet would probably be between 300 - 400K depending on the specifics of the property. Lot sizes generally range from 3500 - 7000 sq. feet and most are between 4200 and 6200. Almost all the blocks have alleys and most houses have detached garages that are accessed thru the alley.

There are some "pop tops" and "scrapes" in the area. A poptop is where a second floor is added to an existing older structure. A scrape is where, as you can probably guess, the existing smaller old is demolished and a new larger structure is built. Generally though the area retains the historic houses and ambience of a neighborhood that was primarily built between around 1900 and 1930.

I don't thiink crime is much of an issue in the area... but i am moving to Denver from Miami, so it would take a lot to make an area seem unsafe to me.

Denver is in the midst of what I believe to be the largest expansion of rail transit going on in the nation.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:21 AM

739 posts, read 2,948,837 times
this is a great area for people who want to get into a Wash Park like neighborhood but can no longer afford it. I think Platte Park is a good investment, and you can still get in for under 400K (this is no longer possible in Wash Park, as least for SFH or duplexes, maybe some condos). Walkable neighborhoods and yes, it is very similar to Virginia Highlands from what I can remember (I was there about 5 yrs ago to visit). There is also a wonderful farmer's market on Sundays as well art walks, and next Saturday is a big Jazzfest there. This neighborhood is really doing well adn I think is second only to Highlands/Berkeley in "buzz" right now.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:22 AM

195 posts, read 794,245 times
Amazing photos..you helped me in another thread. Thanks for taking the time to do this. You have probably helped countless people!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 64,259 times
Default Platt Park

I have lived in Platt Park for eighteen years and would be glad to answer any questions. It is a very nice neighborhood with a library, recreation center for
those 50 and over, lots of antique shops, a nightclub, high-end restaurants and
shops, a people's association, etc. There are mostly people who are single,
or with baby's and toddlers. There is not much for older kids to do here and
they tend to stay indoors too much, go to the park, or enroll in classes. The
crime consists of a few too many home and auto burglaries. Check with the
local police for stats. Our car has been stolen twice, and wrecked three
times. It is a busy area but nice to be able to walk to so many things,
including the lightrail station. The former Gates Rubber Company is going
through a major transformation and will bocome the 'new Lodo' with many
new offices, condos, businesses, and even a movie theatre. They are
suppose to make it walkable and bike friendly, but very dependent on
light-rail as the focus. It will be very exciting, but also very crowded
with as many as 80,000 more people to arrive in the next 20 years.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 15,457 times
Default rentals

I'll be moving on July 1. So many options!
Could you send me any rental property names and addresses or property management company names that have quality rentals? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnylady View Post
I have lived in Platt Park for eighteen years and would be glad to answer any questions. It is a very nice neighborhood with a library, recreation center for
those 50 and over, lots of antique shops, a nightclub, high-end restaurants and
shops, a people's association, etc. There are mostly people who are single,
or with baby's and toddlers. There is not much for older kids to do here and
they tend to stay indoors too much, go to the park, or enroll in classes. The
crime consists of a few too many home and auto burglaries. Check with the
local police for stats. Our car has been stolen twice, and wrecked three
times. It is a busy area but nice to be able to walk to so many things,
including the lightrail station. The former Gates Rubber Company is going
through a major transformation and will bocome the 'new Lodo' with many
new offices, condos, businesses, and even a movie theatre. They are
suppose to make it walkable and bike friendly, but very dependent on
light-rail as the focus. It will be very exciting, but also very crowded
with as many as 80,000 more people to arrive in the next 20 years.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 AM

207 posts, read 481,009 times
Craigslist has a huge selection, you won't miss anything important if you just concentrate looking there.
My Denver Rentals (http://mydenverrentals.com - broken link)

Platt Park on Craigs

Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 PM

11 posts, read 28,697 times
What a great set of photos! Thanks for sharing! I especially enjoyed the last shots - it's nice to see so much greenery there! We visited just a few weeks ago and everything was brown and barely breaking into springtime mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver