Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 AM

14 posts, read 24,394 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just relocated here in January and the one thing that we both noticed is how super friendly and welcoming everybody was when we told them that we'd just moved. I don't know how many times I heard, "Welcome to Colorado!" I was worried because had heard rumors prior to coming that it was an unfriendly, snobbish town and was pleasantly surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan87 View Post
I plan on making the same move either before or after summer. Depends if I feel like working my seasonal job here in NY or if I get offered one of the park maintenance positions I applied for in Denver.
You "applied" to some jobs in Denver? Good luck, but until you actually land one of those jobs and end up working here, I wouldn't be telling people how easy it is.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
You'll be fine finding employment if you are tenacious and have a good resume.

The wife and I came out here from FL with no jobs, and did just fine. Just try to have some money saved up to pay rent for 6 months, and have $100/wk spending money.

Side question - what made you decide to leave NH? We're actually considering moving there to get closer to family, and other reasons.

Good luck on your move!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:32 PM

50 posts, read 202,232 times
Hi Sarah, I hope Denver has everything you're looking for! Just to comment on your job search, one nonprofit that is worth looking into is 'Developmental Pathways' Developmental Pathways, Inc. (http://www.developmentalpathways.org/index.html - broken link) and their sister company Cottonwood Community Alternatives Welcome to Cottonwood Community Alternatives, Inc. Both cater to the disabled and are incredible, if that interests you at all. As far as Blake St. well, you picked the right place if you like to go out and get a beer and mix it up with people Not a bad area really and you'd be very much at the heart of everything. In that area you shouldn't have any trouble meeting people.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 PM

156 posts, read 325,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You "applied" to some jobs in Denver? Good luck, but until you actually land one of those jobs and end up working here, I wouldn't be telling people how easy it is.
I never stated it was easy. I only stated that if you network yourself and set yourself up to succeed then you will find something. Id rather look at the positives than the negatives.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times
Welcome to Denver! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray_sheri View Post
My husband and I just relocated here in January and the one thing that we both noticed is how super friendly and welcoming everybody was when we told them that we'd just moved. I don't know how many times I heard, "Welcome to Colorado!" I was worried because had heard rumors prior to coming that it was an unfriendly, snobbish town and was pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 AM

6 posts, read 7,342 times
You all have been so great, its such a relief to find people who are informative and positive. I still am looking for a job but at least I can rest a little easier knowing that if I make the move it will be rewarding.

As for why I am moving out of NH, it doesnt have anything to do with the state. I love NH, it has mountains and great people, beautiful surroundings (I live in the Lakes Region-Lake Winnipesauke area) but Im at an age where I want to do something else. Ive lived here for 18 years, at my age there isnt enough of what I want to do in the town I am in currently and rather than move to a different town I thought lets do something new and exciting. If you are looking into moving here and have a family its awesome place to be, especially if you like the outdoors.

Again thanks to everyone. I am crossing my fingers on this one, still a little nervous but hoping for the best.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 AM

You know, you are so young. I say go for it. It's really your only chance. Because once you get older, get tied down with husband (and maybe kids), and buy a home, it becomes MUCH harder to move cross country. Plus, you will be more adaptable to living poor, than you would be if you started your career, made money, and then had to move cross country and be poor again. You'll do fine. When are you coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSarah View Post
You all have been so great, its such a relief to find people who are informative and positive. I still am looking for a job but at least I can rest a little easier knowing that if I make the move it will be rewarding.

As for why I am moving out of NH, it doesnt have anything to do with the state. I love NH, it has mountains and great people, beautiful surroundings (I live in the Lakes Region-Lake Winnipesauke area) but Im at an age where I want to do something else. Ive lived here for 18 years, at my age there isnt enough of what I want to do in the town I am in currently and rather than move to a different town I thought lets do something new and exciting. If you are looking into moving here and have a family its awesome place to be, especially if you like the outdoors.

Again thanks to everyone. I am crossing my fingers on this one, still a little nervous but hoping for the best.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 AM

6 posts, read 7,342 times
Hopefully at the end of May, really depending on if I feel comfortable moving out with NO job...seems that people arent very positive about the job market out there.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 AM

Honestly Sunshine, people aren't positive about the job market ANYWHERE in the states, you know? Denver's economy has fared much better then the southeast, and the far west. Colorado as a state is a no deficit budget, meaning we aren't in debt like Calif. I see jobs opening up all the time. Do what I said, check the temp agencies now. Hunt like mad. Do all you can do to secure any job. What's your rent in the apt. on Blake St.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver