Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:14 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Paging Jersey Defector
You rang, sir?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireProperties View Post
OK, fast forward 4 1/2 years. What are you all thinking about the neighborhood now?
I've lived here for 2.5 years. I love it. If i need to, I can walk to everything I need: Target, King Soopers, fast food joints, good restaurants, a brewery, my dentist. Neighborhood is quiet with generally nice people who leave me alone and don't mind my dogs. And don't forget the ample public transportation if I need it.

The town staff is wonderful. There was a billing issue with my water (online payment system had a glitch with just my account), and they CALLED me the day they were going to shut it off to ask if everything was ok and if they could work with me on paying it. When they realized it was a problem with their site, they called back repeatedly to keep me posted on the status.

We are getting a "Belmar" like development down by the lake, which will include an Alamo Drafthouse. And closer to me, in the mostly abandoned strip mall, they are going to be putting in more shops, including a higher end grocery store.

Downside: my garage door got vandalized last year. Some kids drew a bong with a whiteboard marker on the garage door. It took one swipe of a paper towel to wipe it off. My housemate and I laughed about it all morning.

Seriously, it's awesome. I hear the local school isn't SO great, but I have dogs, not kids.

Oh, and I haven't had a problem or many interactions with gang members or homeless people; they're around still to a small extent, but they're not bothering anyone as far as I can tell. (Which leads me to wonder where the gang members are doing gang things, but whatever.)

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-20-2015 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-20-2015, 11:55 AM

112 posts, read 141,099 times
I think it's gotten better.

I won't bore you with my experiences pre-2012, as that's all probably mostly irrelevant now as those people have mostly moved on. But, in 2012 my husband and I went to a party at his friend's townhome a few times, and it was all white, under 30, weed smoking hipsters. It was way too hipstery for us, so we stayed the polite amount of time and left. I mean they had weird cats in their arms, cupcake towers, bizarre banjo music, an angry guy cooking actual food, etc. But they all told us how, "awesome," Edgewater was. Mostly white suburban kids who probably never visited it when it was referred to by local teenagers as, "the hood."

Oh, and all of these people had Evos, STIs, and decorated vans parked outside. Since then we've had a few friends looking for houses there and saying how cool it is, and just driving by it looks nicer, so there's that.

I wouldn't hesitate to live there, but I would have my new home tested for meth residue.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:56 AM

*ha, didn't see year.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentea323 View Post
I think it's gotten better.

I won't bore you with my experiences pre-2012, as that's all probably mostly irrelevant now as those people have mostly moved on. But, in 2012 my husband and I went to a party at his friend's townhome a few times, and it was all white, under 30, weed smoking hipsters. It was way too hipstery for us, so we stayed the polite amount of time and left. I mean they had weird cats in their arms, cupcake towers, bizarre banjo music, an angry guy cooking actual food, etc. But they all told us how, "awesome," Edgewater was. Mostly white suburban kids who probably never visited it when it was referred to by local teenagers as, "the hood."

Oh, and all of these people had Evos, STIs, and decorated vans parked outside. Since then we've had a few friends looking for houses there and saying how cool it is, and just driving by it looks nicer, so there's that.

I wouldn't hesitate to live there, but I would have my new home tested for meth residue.
Interesting - I've been mainly thrilled by the low hipster quotient here. My street is mostly older folks and working/middle class families.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Interesting - I've been mainly thrilled by the low hipster quotient here. My street is mostly older folks and working/middle class families.
These were in townhomes. Behind the grocery store-ish. So concentrated. The other ones we knew had a house all rented out with 6? bedrooms including the finished basement and just a ton of them living in both of these.

The ones buying were more wanting to be hip vs. hipster.

Overall though, it just seemed like things were looking up compared to what I experienced before. It's probably safer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver