Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I do if I cant find a home for my pit bulls and I before my college classes start?
Live in a tent until I can find a place that will allow my dogs. 3 21.43%
Find another college and start over. 9 64.29%
Keep looking from Texas on my computer/phone. 3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Yep. Mauled a kid's face off.
Here we go:

In a jailhouse interview, Tacket told Fox31 that she'd watched young Klein approach Zeus throughout the day. Then, she took a bathroom break, leaving Zeus leashed to a pole -- and upon her return, she discovered that a dog she described as having never hurt anyone before had latched onto the boy's face and neck.

"The dog had the baby in its mouth": Update on pit bull attack, owner Sue Tacket's arrest | Westword

Pit bull owners saying that their dogs have never or would never hurt anyone is meaningless. Because of course they never hurt anyone, until they do. Because the breed has been bread to be fighting dogs. Everyone of them is a time bomb ready to go off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 11:19 AM

100 posts, read 227,417 times
There is a vacant lot in Commerce city that used to tolerate pit bulls. There is also a few weekly hotels along Colfax that seem to not care.

I voted stay in Texas.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:41 PM

306 posts, read 546,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Here we go:

Then, she took a bathroom break, leaving Zeus leashed to a pole .
She took a bathroom break leaving her dog leased to a pole with a child around ?? She obviously has no common sense. I wouldn't leave my little chihuahua-mix leased to a pole with a child around. Who cares that she "observed them playing throughout the day". She's the one to blame, not the dog.

Common sense - You don't approach a leased dog. You don't pet a dog you don't know, and you bloody well don't touch a pit bull or any other dog that CAN defend his territory when he has to.

Btw I accidently clicked on "Increase this user's reputation" for your comment. Certainly didn't do that on purpose. Not for that post anyway.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
She took a bathroom break leaving her dog leased to a pole with a child around ?? She obviously has no common sense. I wouldn't leave my little chihuahua-mix leased to a pole with a child around. Who cares that she "observed them playing throughout the day". She's the one to blame, not the dog.

Common sense - You don't approach a leased dog. You don't pet a dog you don't know, and you bloody well don't touch a pit bull or any other dog that CAN defend his territory when he has to.

Btw I accidently clicked on "Increase this user's reputation" for your comment. Certainly didn't do that on purpose. Not for that post anyway.
The report I saw on the local news stated she left the dog tied to the pole while she was out panhandling at a nearby intersection.

Last edited by hammertime33; 07-16-2014 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The report I saw on the local news stated she left the dog tied to the pole while she was out panhandling at a nearby intersection.
Thanks for that info. Even worse than going to the bathroom, Hammertime33. With any dog, it's only commonsense to be with your dog when children are around. That would be the responsible thing to do. But I guess commonsense is not so common anymore.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:49 AM

Oh wow! Something good about a Pit Bull on the news!!

Loving lick: Pit bull saves deaf boy from fire

ASPCA: Pit bulls aren’t all bad. They’re not ferocious beasts to be feared and reviled. Pit bulls aren’t all good either. They have teeth and the potential to use them, just like any other dog. Their powerful bodies and persistent nature make them formidable animals. As such, they should be treated with care and respect. They require a great deal of exercise, proper training and responsible management. But if you’re willing to devote the time and effort necessary, befriending a pit bull can be immensely rewarding. Along with their strength and spirit comes an inspiring zest for life and an ardent affinity for people. As any committed pit bull parent will tell you, beneath the brawn, most are faithful, fun-loving, affectionate companions. So before you make up your mind about them, get to know a few pit bulls. You may be surprised.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:55 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
Oh wow! Something good about a Pit Bull on the news!!

Loving lick: Pit bull saves deaf boy from fire

ASPCA: Pit bulls aren’t all bad. They’re not ferocious beasts to be feared and reviled. Pit bulls aren’t all good either. They have teeth and the potential to use them, just like any other dog. Their powerful bodies and persistent nature make them formidable animals. As such, they should be treated with care and respect. They require a great deal of exercise, proper training and responsible management. But if you’re willing to devote the time and effort necessary, befriending a pit bull can be immensely rewarding. Along with their strength and spirit comes an inspiring zest for life and an ardent affinity for people. As any committed pit bull parent will tell you, beneath the brawn, most are faithful, fun-loving, affectionate companions. So before you make up your mind about them, get to know a few pit bulls. You may be surprised.
Between 1982 and 2013 there were 539 deaths and 2745 maimings by dogs in the US and Canada. 275 of the deaths (51%) and 1779 of the maimings (64%) were done by pitbulls. This despite the fact that pitbulls make up approximately 6% of the US and Canadian dog population.

For whatever reason - and I don't care what the reason is - pitbulls are dangerous dogs, certainly much more so than other breeds of dogs. I don't want them anywhere near my family. I wish Englewood had the good sense to ban them like our neighboring cities have.

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-atta...ifton-2013.pdf

Old 07-18-2014, 01:13 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,548 times
My take on pitbulls (as a former k9 decoy and active Schutzhund competitor) is that while they are not inherently mean- they, being terriers, are extremely tenacious when provoked (think of it as "they may not start the fight but will finish it"). Combine that with a very strong jaw, and very high tolerance to pain and they can be unstoppable once they do get into a fight. I caught enough armpit, leg, and arm sleeve bites to know that.

I am of the belief that most modern pitbulls have had the dog aggression bred out of them. At least that has been my experience. They are sweet sweet dogs, but they are also very powerful dogs. I would not leave them alone with a child. I own a German Shepherd, who is an IPO3/SchH3 dog for those who know what that means and for those who don't Google it you will be impressed. I wouldn't leave him alone with a child. He LOVES kids, and is super sweet with them, but I recognize that he has powerful jaws in addition to being fast, agile, and predatory in nature.

A baby is prey. A dog is a predator. A child sounds like prey, smells like prey, and when they start wailing and running around they ARE prey. I wouldn't trust ANY strong powerful drivey dog with them without direct supervision. It only takes one time, just one time to ruin the child's life and have the dog destroyed.

The above is my opinion. And let me add that I think pit bulls are great dogs overall and I would own one if it wasn't for BSL.

With that said, nothing pisses me off more than pitbull haters spewing off their uninformed or worse misinformed propaganda.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:19 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,548 times
And to the OP you'll be fighting an uphill battle here in CO with a pitbull. I completely disagree with that, but it is the reality you will face here nonetheless. I wish you all the best either.

For what it's worth - thornton doesn't have pitbull specific BSL but you will probably need to buy a house not rent

Old 07-18-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
My take on pitbulls (as a former k9 decoy and active Schutzhund competitor) is that while they are not inherently mean- they, being terriers, are extremely tenacious when provoked (think of it as "they may not start the fight but will finish it"). Combine that with a very strong jaw, and very high tolerance to pain and they can be unstoppable once they do get into a fight. I caught enough armpit, leg, and arm sleeve bites to know that.

I am of the belief that most modern pitbulls have had the dog aggression bred out of them. At least that has been my experience. They are sweet sweet dogs, but they are also very powerful dogs. I would not leave them alone with a child. I own a German Shepherd, who is an IPO3/SchH3 dog for those who know what that means and for those who don't Google it you will be impressed. I wouldn't leave him alone with a child. He LOVES kids, and is super sweet with them, but I recognize that he has powerful jaws in addition to being fast, agile, and predatory in nature.

A baby is prey. A dog is a predator. A child sounds like prey, smells like prey, and when they start wailing and running around they ARE prey. I wouldn't trust ANY strong powerful drivey dog with them without direct supervision. It only takes one time, just one time to ruin the child's life and have the dog destroyed.

The above is my opinion. And let me add that I think pit bulls are great dogs overall and I would own one if it wasn't for BSL.

With that said, nothing pisses me off more than pitbull haters spewing off their uninformed or worse misinformed propaganda.

Ayoitzrimz, thank you for your great post! I too would have a pit bull were CO more tolerant towards them as there are so many who are desperately in need of being rescued (well, so many dogs in general). I have a sign on my gate that states that I have a guard dog and that no one is permitted to enter (I don't really have a "guard dog," just a little Rat Terrier / Chihuahua mix who is very territorial) and I'd prefer if people didn't just walk up to my door, but guess what they do ? They open the gate, and walk right to my front door!! Sometimes with their kids, other times alone. Usually it's someone trying to sell something, or looking for a previous tenant, etc. It's crazy but people do that, and you can't blame the dog for protecting their territory, it's their job.

Btw I'm not saying that I'm OK with dogs attacking people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver