Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I do if I cant find a home for my pit bulls and I before my college classes start?
Live in a tent until I can find a place that will allow my dogs. 3 21.43%
Find another college and start over. 9 64.29%
Keep looking from Texas on my computer/phone. 3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 33,765 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to Colorado from Texas with my two very friendly 7 yr old it bulls. I have been looking for a house to rent or even an a partment that allows pit bulls but have had no luck, especially apartments. There is no breed restriction law in Lakewood but everyone acts as if there is one. I know Denver and other suberbs have outlawed the breed but is there anyone out there who will rent to a pit bull owner in Lakewood, Co? Everyone I call on craigslist say they won't allow the dogs even with a hefty pet deposit.
I was to start college at RMCAD to be a graphic designer Fall 2011 but now I am unsure of moving to Colorado at all because of this housing problem I am having.
ANYthing will help. Thanks,
Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 06:51 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Is this a joke?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:50 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieLOVESJames View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to Colorado from Texas with my two very friendly 7 yr old it bulls. I have been looking for a house to rent or even an a partment that allows pit bulls but have had no luck, especially apartments. There is no breed restriction law in Lakewood but everyone acts as if there is one. I know Denver and other suberbs have outlawed the breed but is there anyone out there who will rent to a pit bull owner in Lakewood, Co? Everyone I call on craigslist say they won't allow the dogs even with a hefty pet deposit.
I was to start college at RMCAD to be a graphic designer Fall 2011 but now I am unsure of moving to Colorado at all because of this housing problem I am having.
ANYthing will help. Thanks,
Jamie
I don't think you are going to find a lot find a lot of sympathy anywhere in Colorado for owning that type of... pet. Just sayin.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 PM

305 posts, read 770,341 times
I'm not sure what seems like a joke about the post. It sounds like a very legitimate problem. Unfortunately, the vast majority of landlords will be reluctant to rent to owners of notoriously aggressive dog breeds, no matter how sweet the animals are. It's a matter of liability. Some homeowners insurance companies will even cancel policies or increase the rates if they discover that certain breeds are living in the home.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:24 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
I wouldn't rent to you. I wouldn't want the insurance liability.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 33,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Is this a joke?
no, my life is not a joke.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 AM

78 posts, read 196,176 times
Okay, just to balance the scales. I WOULD rent my house to people with friendly pit bulls.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 19,901 times
JamieLOVESJames - So sorry that you are getting such negative responses here! I, too, am a pit bull owner in Upstate NY who has also considered a move to the Denver area. I initially took Denver off my short list due to the city's BSL, but decided to reconsider and see if I could find something just outside of Denver. Reading comments like this is discouraging to me as well. (Thanks, shukertj and cglore for being the rational and notable exceptions here).

I have found nicer responses to the pit bull question in other threads - try searching on the phrase pit bull and/or BSL in the Denver forums. The suggestion I saw most often was to try and find a house owned by a small/independent landlord (rather than a complex). I would be prepared to put down a hefty deposit and provide proof of renter's insurance.

I'm fortunate to be a home owner here in NY, but would like to sell and relocate/rent, so I expect to face this issue myself. If it's an option, perhaps you could find a pit bull friendly place to board your dogs while you look around the area for a rental? When I rented in the past, I found that the (small, independent) landlords were more flexible when I was able to speak with them in person - they might have said no pets or $1200 deposit on the phone, but often made exceptions after we'd chatted in person because they were comfortable with me (in fact, I even negotiated a lower rent in a few cases). If people like you, they'll work with you. I hear over and over that it is hard to find good tenants.

Anyway, try to hang in there - I have often found that patience and persistence pay off.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 19,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglore View Post
Okay, just to balance the scales. I WOULD rent my house to people with friendly pit bulls.
cglore - is that a hypothetical response, or are you a landlord in the area?

Old 05-22-2011, 06:16 PM

345 posts, read 914,113 times
It is not just because they are banned in some areas it is due to insurance. Some companies will drop you if they find out you own one, others will make you sign a waiver which basically means if your dogs attack anyone you will personally be held responsible and any and all monies from the attack will come out of your pocket.
Others will not rent to you since they may have other tenant/s who will freak out that you have a pit bull.

My neighbor has a very badly behaved Rottie mix, he has bitten already, it is all his fault and not the dog's but so far none of the people bitten have filed a report against him. His insurance agent came by for some hail damage, saw the breed of dog and the behavior of the dog and they dropped him. He is with another company now who had him sign a waiver.

To me it is all in the training and the bad ones have bad owners.
But I understand some places point of view to not rent due to insurance and complaints of other tenants. No one wants to take the chance and loose money, possibly everything from a dog attack. I am not saying your dogs will attack but that is the mentally due to bad owners who have not trained their dogs the right way.

I would not even try to rent in a complex, I would stick to homes, more expensive but they may rent to you with a waiver of insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver