Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,255,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleinDenver View Post
@Denverian: I have a contact at Stapleton whom I forwarded your comment to. Here was his response:

"While the downturn in the economy has affected Stapleton as it has other communities across the nation, we plan to begin development this summer of 118 units of market rate apartments at E. 29th Drive and Geneva Court across from the future Eastbridge Town Center. In addition, there will be the initial phases of the next single family residential development south and east of the Eastbridge Town Center site beginning in the near future. As all of that development occurs, we believe there is a greater likelihood that a grocery tenant will locate in the area."
Thanks for the update! This has been my thought all along... once the town center "hole" is surrounded, it looks like a better risk for someone to build. It already has good traffic going through daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 PM

10 posts, read 31,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The last I've heard is that nothing is getting built. The entire town center is based on them getting a grocery store built, and apparently no one is building grocery stores any more. Within a year, it looks like the entire area around the Eastbridge town center will be complete, and there seems to always be lots of traffic going through. I don't really understand why they can't get anything started there. We only have one grocery store in Stapleton and it's usually very crowded. I wish they'd build a 7-11 with gas station somewhere in the middle of Stapleton. Even that would be a help.
The King Sooper's on the West side is definitely not where my wife and I will start shopping regularly. The Target, while farther, is much more enjoyable to shop and has less of a check-out wait. When CPB is finished across I70, it will be just as fast to go there as King Sooper's.

Don't even try to fill up your gas tank there, either. Nightmare.

With regard to a 7-11: while I do think we need a good gas station nearby, a convenience store like 7-11 is not what I had in mind. In a nice neighborhood like Stapleton, I would actively lobby to keep a 7-11 OUT! What we need is a local convenience store that sells, say, fresh meat or produce, in addition to some quick staples (eggs, milk, etc). 7-11's sell trash food and attract people that we don't want wandering through our neighborhood. Have you seen the convenience market in Uptown at 17th and ~Washington? Now that place would be great in Stapleton.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 AM

91 posts, read 340,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler.rrrr View Post
Have you seen the convenience market in Uptown at 17th and ~Washington? Now that place would be great in Stapleton.

Do you mean Marzyk Fine Foods? They are opening a location quite a bit closer to Stapleton on East Colfax in the Fairfax neighborhood.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
The King Sooper's on the West side is definitely not where my wife and I will start shopping regularly. The Target, while farther, is much more enjoyable to shop and has less of a check-out wait. When CPB is finished across I70, it will be just as fast to go there as King Sooper's.

Don't even try to fill up your gas tank there, either. Nightmare.

With regard to a 7-11: while I do think we need a good gas station nearby, a convenience store like 7-11 is not what I had in mind. In a nice neighborhood like Stapleton, I would actively lobby to keep a 7-11 OUT! What we need is a local convenience store that sells, say, fresh meat or produce, in addition to some quick staples (eggs, milk, etc). 7-11's sell trash food and attract people that we don't want wandering through our neighborhood. Have you seen the convenience market in Uptown at 17th and ~Washington? Now that place would be great in Stapleton.
Welll, aren't we just the snob! I have no issue with 7-11, and now there is one being built on Havana just south of the freeway. I don't go to 7-11 to do my grocery shopping, but when you need gas and a pack of gum, it's convenient. The market you're describing is not the same as a 7-11. I don't go to 7-11 looking for fresh produce and meat. A nicer market would be great too, but I wish they'd put the 7-11 actually in Stapleton. It's supposed to be more urban than suburban you know!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 31,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Welll, aren't we just the snob! I have no issue with 7-11, and now there is one being built on Havana just south of the freeway. I don't go to 7-11 to do my grocery shopping, but when you need gas and a pack of gum, it's convenient. The market you're describing is not the same as a 7-11. I don't go to 7-11 looking for fresh produce and meat. A nicer market would be great too, but I wish they'd put the 7-11 actually in Stapleton. It's supposed to be more urban than suburban you know!
Honestly I'd probably go for a 7-11-like gas station, or even a 7-11, if they were forced to comply with strict visual guidelines to match the neighborhood style and were pressured to keep it clean, inside and out. But I'm inherently biased against 7-11s in /my/ neighborhood (no problem with using them elsewhere) due to living downtown and seeing how they can shape a street corner.

I've no issue with the 7-11 going in near Havana and I-70, but I also don't live on that end of Stapleton.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Honestly I'd probably go for a 7-11-like gas station, or even a 7-11, if they were forced to comply with strict visual guidelines to match the neighborhood style and were pressured to keep it clean, inside and out. But I'm inherently biased against 7-11s in /my/ neighborhood (no problem with using them elsewhere) due to living downtown and seeing how they can shape a street corner.

I've no issue with the 7-11 going in near Havana and I-70, but I also don't live on that end of Stapleton.
You don't like the corner 7-11s that have popped up downtown? I think they look fine, and fit in to the urban environment, sort of like a "bodega" in NYC. Although obviously not as interesting in what they offer.

It looks like the one on Havana will have a gas station... finally, sweet relief from the King Soopers mess of a gas station!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM

26,231 posts, read 49,112,227 times
It's kind of like a back to the future thing. When I was a kid in west Baltimore, half a century ago while streetcars were still running, there was a mom & pop store on most corners. Many had a few grocery items to include a few cuts of meat, lunchmeats/deli items, basic grocery items, soda pops, candy, cigs, etc. All of those mom and pops got rolled up by the big supermarket chains and then at a later time the convenience stores came on the scene along a few larger streets and suburbs. Zoning laws changed to keep such "commercial" activity out of residential areas. Cynic that I am, my opinion is that the zoning laws got changed due to lobbying efforts of big chains, i.e., use the legal process to eliminate competition. It was nice, the ability to walk down to the corner for a snowball, a crabcake and a beer, a pound of hamburger, get an Rx filled by "doc," drop off a suit at the dry cleaners, etc. We've lost a lot to our friend, the car. Now 7-11's are showing up in downtown areas, we just had one open here in downtown COLO SGPS. it's nice to be able to walk up the street for a fountain drink again, but mom and pop are long gone, wage slaves to big business.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It's kind of like a back to the future thing. When I was a kid in west Baltimore, half a century ago while streetcars were still running, there was a mom & pop store on most corners. Many had a few grocery items to include a few cuts of meat, lunchmeats/deli items, basic grocery items, soda pops, candy, cigs, etc. All of those mom and pops got rolled up by the big supermarket chains and then at a later time the convenience stores came on the scene along a few larger streets and suburbs. Zoning laws changed to keep such "commercial" activity out of residential areas. Cynic that I am, my opinion is that the zoning laws got changed due to lobbying efforts of big chains, i.e., use the legal process to eliminate competition. It was nice, the ability to walk down to the corner for a snowball, a crabcake and a beer, a pound of hamburger, get an Rx filled by "doc," drop off a suit at the dry cleaners, etc. We've lost a lot to our friend, the car. Now 7-11's are showing up in downtown areas, we just had one open here in downtown COLO SGPS. it's nice to be able to walk up the street for a fountain drink again, but mom and pop are long gone, wage slaves to big business.
I'd love to see the comeback of little stores like that! We sort of had something like that in California that I could walk to. It was a liquor store, but in CA, liquor stores are allowed to sell food items because with the grocery stores selling liquor, it's hard for them to compete. So my local "liquor store" also had a deli counter and a sort of a mini grocery store. So if you suddenly needed a jar of mayo or some salt or milk, you could just walk down the street and get it.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 PM
WiW

167 posts, read 578,157 times
DW found this extensive article on Stapleton
Denver's Stapleton: Green Urban Infill for the Masses? by Michael Leccese : Articles : Terrain.org written in Fall/Winter 2005

Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
WiW

167 posts, read 578,157 times
This month's Front Porch - a newsletter for Stapleton & surrounding communicites - has an article on the flood handling in Stapleton. Stapleton did not flood during the recent torrential storms.

The best I could do is link to the pdf of the newsletter.

http://www.frontporchstapleton.com/F..._08AugRev1.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver